WRX STi vs Supra TT - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX STi vs Supra TT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Big Turkey You guys make me laugh. It's all about the power and torque curve. I wish ...

Originally posted by Big Turkey
    You guys make me laugh. It's all about the power and torque curve. I wish I could show you the Viper's dyno graph. It is FLAT. at 3500rpms you get a peak torque of 591wtrq, and it stays flat, ending at 900ft/lbs at redline. The power graph? 4000RPMs hits peak power of 521whp and it stays there all the way to redline. Add a 350shot? That's 871whp throughout the ENTIRE powerband.

Wally
    well put...and this is coming form an MKIV owner........

a stock GTS would give me porblem up until my RPMS climb after than it gets fun......
    Last edited by SLOW4EAT; 07-21-2004 at 12:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Big Turkey
    You guys make me laugh. It's all about the power and torque curve. I wish I could show you the Viper's dyno graph. It is FLAT. at 3500rpms you get a peak torque of 591wtrq, and it stays flat, ending at 900ft/lbs at redline. The power graph? 4000RPMs hits peak power of 521whp and it stays there all the way to redline. Add a 350shot? That's 871whp throughout the ENTIRE powerband.

Now take any 900+whp Supra's power band. 500rpms they have like 300whp. 6000 they have like 450. Finally they hit a PEAK of 900+whp at their power band.. 7500ish. Before that it's a hill. Before that the Viper is 5 cars ahead.

Come on, use your n00b brains.

Why do think when you race domestics from a roll they always jump you?

Wally
    word!! This man speaks the truth. It is all about the area of power under the curve (trying to say that without sounding all calculusy).
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

not to mention the Viper has way more torque at a lower rpm as well...

This is V8Killa, actually that was going to be my next point, that dyno that viper with the 350 shot and watch the torque numbers, it has more available at an earlier (any RPM). The point I was trying to make was that just putting down 521 looks wierd when you read it... That's all I have seen blown vipers smoke Busa's. But I totally agree with the flat curves that was right on the money, sorry I did not get to my point. Right on Big Turkey!!!!!

race in the snow

Originally posted by GTScoob
    word!! This man speaks the truth. It is all about the area of power under the curve (trying to say that without sounding all calculusy).

NO!!! christ's sakes someone use a brain and think about it!

It's all about the ability of the GEARING to stay under the curve.
    Even if I had a powerband from 8k-10k rpms only, I could care less if I had a magic CVT that always stayed between 8k-10k.

Granted, the real world is different but I felt I had to point out that little correction. But "area of power under the curve" Well you have to make a distinction between the tq and hp curves here. Torque is just a moment of force around a point by definition of lb*ft as a physical unit of measurement remember?
    '03 white rex

my brain hurts...

supras are not over rated at all in my opinion..... put $2,000-3,000 into one and you'll own the highways The STI will take it out on the 1/4 though stock vs stock but once you got going its a different story. I love both cars though! supra a little more i must admit

Originally posted by verc
    NO!!! christ's sakes someone use a brain and think about it!

It's all about the ability of the GEARING to stay under the curve.
    Even if I had a powerband from 8k-10k rpms only, I could care less if I had a magic CVT that always stayed between 8k-10k.

Granted, the real world is different but I felt I had to point out that little correction. But "area of power under the curve" Well you have to make a distinction between the tq and hp curves here. Torque is just a moment of force around a point by definition of lb*ft as a physical unit of measurement remember?
    I see your point.

But in this situation, the Viper still has it hands down. Let's take the highly modded single turbo supra and a highly modded Viper on gas, both putting down 900whp.

Gearing comes into effect, let's say they have a redline of 8k. The Viper's redline is 6500.

The Supra's power band is so steep, that when it shifts, say it falls to 6k. And the peak power is going to be around 8k because of the way the turbo/motor setup is. So if the peak is at 900whp and it's a steep climb there.. it should be around 700whp @ 6k.

Now the viper is going to have pretty much all 900whp.. all the time. Not to mention the torque will be amazing.. add a shot of gas to that and you will INSTANTLY jump the Supra 2-4 cars out and the Viper will win by that alone.

Well if something were to happen and say the Supra and the Viper would be in the 7k-8kRPM range for a long time.. then the Supra might stand a chance. But at that time you're talking about 180mph.. and you got a big boat flying through the air on one side, with a big fat clown shoe right next to it.

On a roll race, the torque allows you to get the jump. The Viper wins in that category.. nothing beats the instant torque of that motor. Add a 350shot.. 350shot.. that's more than most WRX owners put out, and you have stupid torque. I've rode in that exact Viper. And I swear, 20-160mph feels like one damn gear on the gas.

Say you have two WRX's. One at STG4 and the other with nitrous, say a healthy 90shot. Both putting down the exact same HP numbers... the nitrous car is going to win because so much torque so early on allows it to get the jump and keep the lead for the rest of the race.

Wally
    If anything's worth doing.. it's worth doing right.

Originally posted by AwdTurboWrx
    yes...sti has 300hp its awd it runs around 13.2

tt supra is 320 hp is rwd and runs around 13.7

why is that so shocking???..my lightly modded rex would take supras from a stop
    Its all up to the driver. Stock Supra vs. Stock STI. The STI should win though most of the times from a dig when its stock vs stock because its AWD. The Supra would need to pull a extremely good launch to win a stock race. Also, 13.7 is high for a stock Supra most run sub 13.5. Car and Driver pulled a 13.1 and a few have claimed as low as 12.9 out of a stock Supra. With all that said how many Supra out there are stock....very few.

I have the article

Don't get me wrong.. Supra's are badass. I love them. I love the way it looks cruising down the freeway with stiff suspension and the ass end is sticking up. The curves on that car are flawless, even though it's over 10 years old. The Supras with high mileage still go for around $25,000 in decent condition. There is no other car that can keep it's worth for such a long time.

The Supra was way ahead of it's time.
    If anything's worth doing.. it's worth doing right.

$42,000 and ten years ago. What an expensive ass car!
    I personally preferred the looks of the latest RX-7 but a modded Supra would turn my head anyday.
    04 PSM Rex Wgn
    5-spd

OMFG it traps at 109 mph

those things are fast, a sti traps at 101-103 so from a stop a sti might be able to launch harder, but from a roll even a modded sti the supra will pull bus lengths. I dont know what everyone else is thinking but i am thinking that after 60 mph even if the sti gets a good launch, the supra should kill.

Also if the supra would have drag radials, i dont know if they have a weak rear end, but they are capable of running 12.8s with a good driver and good tires stock, if anyone doubts me look at the trap speeds that says it all.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Originally posted by express_wagon
    $42,000 and ten years ago. What an expensive ass car!
    I personally preferred the looks of the latest RX-7 but a modded Supra would turn my head anyday.

Thats why they stopped making it

its funny then they were probably smoking ferraris and most exotic cars, and vetts dont even mention those they were probably eaten up by supras.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Re: Re: WRX STi vs Supra TT

Originally posted by mball
    Ya, stock Supras are not that fast
    NA's or TT's? TT's are underrated at 320 HP, and even at stock, they are faster than most cars out there, even though the Supra is "outdated" (whatever that means) Anyways, I have yet to challenge an STi, so I have no idea what would happen stock v. stock, but I have raced an EVO VIII. I took the EVO from 20 mph. on, but at a dead stop, he took me until 2nd gear (this was when I was bone stock).

The AWD club owns off the line, no questions 'bout that.

BTW: I don't dislike WRX's or anything (I'm friends w/ Prodriven and I enjoy his '04), but I'm partial to the Supra and felt like it needed sticking up for.
    1993.5 Anthracite 6spd. TT w/ targa top and 41,000 miles
    Blitz Z2's (18x9, 18x10), 4100K HIDs, RPS Stage 2 clutch, GReddy full auto turbo timer, V1, Tein HA's, 20% tint all around, RMM dp, Blitz Nur-spec catback, IS300 yellow fog light swap (into factory location), GReddy bcc, K&N drop in filter, GReddy electronic boost gauge, Joe P mbc
    STOLEN FROM THE ORLANDO/WINTER PARK FLORIDA AREA. PLEASE KEEP AN EYE OUT. IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING, PLEASE CALL ME: 540-537-5447
    -Derek

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast