WRX STi vs Supra TT - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX STi vs Supra TT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Reasons why STI runs faster stock: AWD Being lighter Shorter gear ratios Variable Valve Timing...

Reasons why STI runs faster stock:

AWD
    Being lighter
    Shorter gear ratios
    Variable Valve Timing

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Trailboss
    Throw a T72 or two on there and you won't see anyone's taillights
    Except for the Vipers here in Houston. One of my good friends has had many Vipers, right now he's turbo'ing his current one but his last one was just heads/cam, bolt ons and a "small shot of gas". When I asked him what a "small shot of gas" was.. his reply, "Oh, it's only a 350 but I'm thinking about bumpin' it up." Vipers take a 300shot all day long. It's said that the stock fuel system on the Viper, if done correctly, will support a 600 shot of nitrous. That's just stupid.

There is a video of that old Viper racing a T88 Supra from a 60mph roll.. Viper was on a 350 shot and the Supra was on a 125 shot and turbo. Supra dyno'd 971whp.. Viper put down 521whp on motor. I was there in the Viper brother's Lotus Espirit. There were tons of supras and vipers around.. the Supra guys were filming. Well as soon as they went.. the Viper jumped the Supra hard.. about 3 lengths and kept pulling. Afterwards they got out and started talkin' mess about how the Viper took the jump and there was no way they lost by 5-6 lengths because he was only at 140mph.. when the Viper was at 160mph. It didn't seem apparent to the supra owner that when you're ahead... you're traveling faster. Needless to say, that video disappeared.

Originally posted by StaticX313

Another correction someone put out 1158whp on stock block/internals with an SP400 tranny and SP88 turbo. *88mm turbine*. Granted I dont think he left it on there due to lag, but still... pretty awsome.

Robert~
    I don't think that's right.. I know the majority of the Supra owners here in Houston and I know Peter Blach once held the record at 951whp, but then was beaten by someone else who had a SP78 turbo, and the SP400 tranny.. but he shot out 963whp on the stock block, and that's the last person to put down any power.

Peter now puts down 1059rwhp at the last Supra shootout here in Houston, but that's with a built block.

The STi will take it in the quarter, stock for stock, but only in the quarter. If you look at the trap speed differences.. the STi will die from a roll.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather take an 03 Cobra. Supra's are beautiful, don't get me wrong.. but the 03 Cobras just amaze me. They are the domestic Supras. Right now the stock block has held a little shy of 1100RWHP. The car went 8.90 @ 155mph with a fat ass PT78 @ 24psi... stock block. They said the stock block is on it's way to hold over 1200whp before letting go. They come with JE pistons and Manley rods from the factory. Couple that with the iron block.. talk about boost friendly. And I love the way they look.

Wally
    If anything's worth doing.. it's worth doing right.

Check out the video I just posted in the Video section of a 69 Z28 Camaro destroying a Supra. The Supra eased up after the Z just mutilated him off the line, I dont think the Supra would have caught him anyways. The Z looked like a 10 second car easy, maybe even in the 9's, American muscle at its best.

That viper that put down 521 ok yeah now add that 350 to that. Your post reads like a 521+hp Viper took a 970+hp Supra. I have the video of the Texas meet (Invasion on Houston) Needless to say the Vipers got delt with pretty good........

steve harvey here is dallas has a supra w/ over 1000hp.
    built by powerhouse racing.

he also has one modded WRX.

i have pics if anyone can host them.
    2002 WRX silver
    -281HP/258TQ @ 16 psi

jeb
    From a roll viper > supra. No turbo lag on a NA viper + 8 liters
    2002 Silver WRX

I was sooo close to buying an NA Supra that I was going to turbo but I ended up choosing the rex. I'm happy with my decision but someday I WILL have one parked beside it. Oh yes the day will come.

Yeah post #100

Originally posted by v8killa
    That viper that put down 521 ok yeah now add that 350 to that. Your post reads like a 521+hp Viper took a 970+hp Supra. I have the video of the Texas meet (Invasion on Houston) Needless to say the Vipers got delt with pretty good........
    521 + 350 = 871hp Viper.

871 < 971. But then again, I bet the viper had way more torque.

Originally posted by Crystal STi
    Reasons why STI runs faster stock:

AWD
    Being lighter
    Shorter gear ratios
    Variable Valve Timing
    You mean it has vtech

yes i misspelled vtec.

Originally posted by needsboost2005
    You mean it has vtech

yes i misspelled vtec.
    sti does have some sort of variable valve timing...a lot of cars do...toyota's do..even bmw's

article 2 prove it

http://www.modernracer.com/history/s...tihistory.html

''The STi engine is an advanced 2.5-liter, turbocharged and intercooled, double overhead cam, four-cylinder boxer unit with variable valve timing capable of generating a stunning 300 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm. ''
    Last edited by AwdTurboWrx; 07-20-2004 at 07:33 PM.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

skvfx
    supras are overated. not all of em are fast...ive seen too many that are actually slow. (namely 98% of N/A's nd like half of Turbos)...not everyone fixes up their cars nd ive seen a supra running at a track with 500hp but had street tires...which is wasted hp...cause that **** was slow....like slOOowww..well it wouldnt beat a STi without ne drag radials...

Yep, Supra's can be overrated. When I was stock, I had a few runs from the roll with a Supra dude who was putting down around 500 whp. We were on a highway, and he would jump past me, and put a car length. However he was never able to pull away.

Next day I come out of work and I see him parked next to my car waiting. I was fairly new to modding and hadn't done a thing to my car. He showed me all his dyno charts and his gauges. He was surpised with the outcome that he wanted to look under my hood to see what I had in there. He couldnt believe that I was stock.

We parted ways, and that was when the mod bug bit me !
    Platinum WRX Wagon Cobb Stage2
    TXS stealth back/UP with custom Magnaflow muffler
    whiteline adj rear sb, whiteline Antilift kit, whiteline rear strut brace, front strut brace, MRT lightened pulley
    No more AEM Cai ! , 3/16 mod, Grounding mod, Kartboy SS and bushing, Autometer 3 gauge pack and A-pillar

Originally posted by v8killa
    You guys make me laugh. It's all about the power and torque curve. I wish I could show you the Viper's dyno graph. It is FLAT. at 3500rpms you get a peak torque of 591wtrq, and it stays flat, ending at 500ft/lbs at redline. The power graph? 4000RPMs hits peak power of 521whp and it stays there all the way to redline. Add a 350shot? That's 871whp throughout the ENTIRE powerband.

Now take any 900+whp Supra's power band. 500rpms they have like 300whp. 6000 they have like 450. Finally they hit a PEAK of 900+whp at their power band.. 7500ish. Before that it's a hill. Before that the Viper is 5 cars ahead.

Come on, use your n00b brains.

Why do think when you race domestics from a roll they always jump you?

Wally
    Last edited by Big Turkey; 07-21-2004 at 01:44 PM.

Originally posted by flyingace
    Yep, Supra's can be overrated. When I was stock, I had a few runs from the roll with a Supra dude who was putting down around 500 whp. We were on a highway, and he would jump past me, and put a car length. However he was never able to pull away.

Next day I come out of work and I see him parked next to my car waiting. I was fairly new to modding and hadn't done a thing to my car. He showed me all his dyno charts and his gauges. He was surpised with the outcome that he wanted to look under my hood to see what I had in there. He couldnt believe that I was stock.

We parted ways, and that was when the mod bug bit me !
    So you're telling me that a 500whp Supra only put one car length on your stock WRX? Damn, I need to go Supra hunting then

Obviously, I'm not calling BS but something isn't quite right about that story. Even a bone stock Supra will walk a stock WRX on the highway with EASE. I thought that was a given...
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

On my C16 tune with the VF30, I would race 500whp Supras and pull them instantly from the jump and keep my distance for till about 120... that's when they just came blasting past me. So the best thing to do is jump them, and hit the hazards Ricer style!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.