GTO vs. Vette - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on GTO vs. Vette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by GTScoob The previous owner of my car traded his WRX in for a new GTO and last ...

Originally posted by GTScoob
    The previous owner of my car traded his WRX in for a new GTO and last I heard has run it down to 12.5 at 120 or something miles an hour trap speed.

120mph?

Yes, the car is very heavy and takes big hp to get it down the track. It's really not a drag car by any means. Its more about having a fast comfortable cruiser.

That guy with the GTO ran 12.5 @ 109 mph

The car dynoed at 393.5 rwhp 389.5 lb ft

Here's his mod list

3/4 LT Headers
    4'' induction
    High flow cats with race pipe
    Borla exhaust
    CNC Ported Heads
    New Valve train and Springs
    Lunati cam
    Ported T.B
    Pully
    2800 Stall Converter
    Drag radials

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

have any of you guys noticed the gto looks like a pontiac grand prix (old 2 door) with a cavalier rear end. don't get me wrong, i love the gto's, (got an original to prove it), but the new one doesn't remind me of what the old ones were. the originals were all go, no show. this new one is a european type of car, not a traditional american muscle car that it derived from.

....it is nice to see GM bringing in another car to make up for the loss of the firebird/camaro.

whoops, forgot the best part, great kill
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

I think it is alot like the origional goat. It looks like a GTP on steroids and runs a second quicker in the 1/4 mile. The old GTO looked exactly like the Le Mans but had a big motor, different rear end, etc. I am really glead GM didnt go retro with it.

Nick
    Hummer Open Top
    Dodge Viper ACR

a v8 with 350hp that goes 0-60 in 5.4 is missing something.. they should not call that the GTO in my opinion.
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Traction off the line is the problem. Check out the trap speeds for the 1/4 mile runs. It is also faster than the origional.

Nick
    Hummer Open Top
    Dodge Viper ACR

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    120mph?

Yes, the car is very heavy and takes big hp to get it down the track. It's really not a drag car by any means. Its more about having a fast comfortable cruiser.

That guy with the GTO ran 12.5 @ 109 mph

Sorry I was taking that number off the top of my head anyways. I met up with the guy and that car is a beast. We took some pics together (which I'll get up in a bit) and I felt so wimpy with my little 2.0L boxer after he cranked up that LS1. That 4" intake pipe is no joke, it is bigger than my downpipe . . . He said he's going to be putting a 75 shot of nitrous on it sometime and eventually just sticking higher shots of NO2 on it to get down deep into the 11s. He's running catless right now and those heads are from the Chevy 6.0L truck motor which allowed for different compression ratios and flow patterns and stuff. He said that with the Toyo T1-Ss and 19s on the back he still pulled a 1.8sec 60ft time and with the drag radials he got a 1.7sec.
    They are beautiful cars. His was black with red leather interior and it was gorgeous.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

Thumbs up

The engine is confirmed as the LS2/400hp for the 2005 GTO, and optional hoodscoops will be available.

2005 will also add:
    -Two new colors
    -Bigger brakes,red calipers
    -18" wheel option
    -exhaust tips on both sides
    -a higher MSRP (to be determined)

It should look mostly like the 2005 Monaro:
    http://www.excelerate.com.au/downloa...ro/monaro2.jpg

When it comes time for a new car sometime next year for me, I'll likely be comparing the Legacy GT, WRX STi, and the 05 GTO. Got a feeling the STi will win me over, however...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I love the GTO, but would never tread the STi for it.

Nick
    Hummer Open Top
    Dodge Viper ACR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.