Spanked by an SS Z28-torque kills
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Spanked by an SS Z28-torque kills within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I met this guy in one of the Camaro forums and he only lives about 10 min away and ...

Spanked by an SS Z28-torque kills

Well, I met this guy in one of the Camaro forums and he only lives about 10 min away and he hangs out often with some racers I know. A few of us met up at "the spot" and I asked what kind of mods he had and what he usually ran. He had exhaust, intake, cam, a set of ported stock heads, an airlid and a sticky set of drag radials. He said his last dyno was 475 hp and 436 ft-lb of torque and apparently he runs 12.1 quarters without breaking a sweat He said he has even dipped into the high 11's a few times, ya, I knew I was screwed. He was very cool and it was just a race for fun so I thought, what the hell.

Lined up and we were off. He immediatley put a length on me, we hit 2nd right at the same time and he pulled even harder and gained another half length. Into 3rd and I couldnt gain any ground at all and he actually pulled a bit more. 4th was the same and I was still about 2 lengths back when we hit the quarter marker. His little timer read 12.0 @ 119 so he figured I must have come in right around 12.8 or so.

Dammit, I knew I should have went for a used Z28 he said the magazine times you see with SS's running 13.7 is BS. He consistently ran a 13.1 with only a catback exhaust and the drag radials then just by adding the airlid, he was running high 12's. He told me you can pretty much throw the hp right out the window and focus on torque because that is what gets your car moving, especially at lower speeds and in V8's. Anyone want to take over payments on my Roush?
    Last edited by EVOVIII; 07-18-2004 at 01:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nail im next time it rains, or better yet get him to do a mountain pass.................

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

Well #1 I dont have the Evo anymore and #2 with those drag radials, he would stick to the road about as good as any AWD around.

Go sell that roush. Get your evo back. I have heard of evo's running 11.6 on stock turbo. It seems like you are very concerned with 1/4 times, if so you should have just picked up an 03 cobra and put a full exhaust, pulley, and chip. With a setup costing about 2k you could easily get over 470 at the wheels. That Z28 would have been toast. I still think you should get the evo back, put some cams in it, AEM standalone, all the supporting mods and you could probably reach close to 400 at the wheels with the stocker.

-BobbyD
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

My Evo was heavily modded. I had close to 350 hp and a bit over 300 ft-lb of torque. My Evo would have been no match for that SS, I would have been slaughtered by at least 4 lengths. The Roush can still be made faster but it does have its limits because it is a 4.6L Mustang GT engine and I can modd till it blows up but it still can't match the output of an LS1. The Cobra engine probably could match the LS1 with enough money but this guy I raced is ready to go up to about 500 rwhp...and thats not even using a supercharger yet

Correction: I was just talking to this guy online and his SS puts down 475 hp to the wheels not 405, so I corrected it above. I thought that was very odd that the torque was higher then the hp, he said its impossible in fact and I must have heard him wrong. Now I dont feel so bad, that extra 70 hp made all the difference right?

Nice loss. Always gonna be someone faster, that's for sure. Anyways, did he say it was impossible for the torque to be higher than the horsepower? May want to tell that to those who have diesels. He is absolutely correct in his recommendation to build for torque, as this is what an engine produces.

Got any pics of that mustang of yours? I wouldn't mind having a gander at it.

Evo VIII, you still have a lot left in that Mustang. An intercooler and a good tune can put you at or near 450 rwhp. In my GT, when I was at 420 rwhp, I was running 11.6-11.7 at 120+ on a good day, and 11.8-11.9 at 118 in the middle of summer. I'm at 455 rwhp now, but haven't been at the track yet.

A good tuner is the key, i.e., someone who know how to get the power, and still keep it safe. I've been running over 420 whp for over 2 years and 50 passes down the track, without any issues.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    #2 with those drag radials, he would stick to the road about as good as any AWD around.
    I hope you're not talking about in the rain...especially if its something like the BFG drag radials which have a solid strip of no tread down the middle...those things are instant death in the wet weather.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

I would have expected that. LS1s with bolt ons and head/cam are very fast cars. If he were to throw a 100 shot on there he would have a 10 second car.
    This car is making a poor man even poorer.

Originally posted by BobbyD
    It seems like you are very concerned with 1/4 times, if so you should have just picked up an 03 cobra and put a full exhaust, pulley, and chip. With a setup costing about 2k you could easily get over 470 at the wheels.
    I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

I dunno if he was telling the truth about the whole 13.7 v 13.1 thing. keep in mind how big of a difference drag radials are going to help out a RWD V8. I've seen many stock LS1's running 13.5's 13.6's around here. Who knows though right?
    07 Mercedes-Benz E350
    Saks Fifth Ave Edition

04 WRX VF34+TMIC SOLD
    12.62@108 1.7 60'
    295whp & 302tq on Mustang Dyno
    MODS

Originally posted by SERacing
    I hope you're not talking about in the rain...especially if its something like the BFG drag radials which have a solid strip of no tread down the middle...those things are instant death in the wet weather.

Anyone that makes the arguement that drag radials are as good as AWD only cares about racing at a prepped track.

This is coming from a former Stage 2 Head/Cam LS1 z28 owner. I ran drag radial. Yes, they can get you some fast 60' times at the track. But on the street they do nothing at all for you when its cool and damp outside. (like early in the morning, or in the winter)

I can't tell you how many races I lost because of traction issues. I stopped trying to race people, unless my tires were heated up and the streets were warm.

I could break my tires loose on the highway at 70mph when it was rainy. I didn't mean to, it would just happen. Very scary.

So drag radials don't make a car awd. The actually provide bad performance characteristics in most conditions.

But to get back to the discussion. I would take an EVO over an LS1 any day of the week.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Anyone that makes the arguement that drag radials are as good as AWD only cares about racing at a prepped track.

This is coming from a former Stage 2 Head/Cam LS1 z28 owner. I ran drag radial. Yes, they can get you some fast 60' times at the track. But on the street they do nothing at all for you when its cool and damp outside. (like early in the morning, or in the winter)

I have seen alot of high powered RWD cars hooking up on the street with drag radials. That was allowing that they got the chance to heat them up though.
    This car is making a poor man even poorer.

Originally posted by Neversatisfied
    I have seen alot of high powered RWD cars hooking up on the street with drag radials. That was allowing that they got the chance to heat them up though.
    My problem was usually when I pulled up at a stop light at 9am in the morning (tires cold) and a Mustang GT (Yes GT) would pull up next to me. He would rev at me and I knew I had to either go for it or just pass on the race.
    I usually tried to leave the line easy and then get on it but (sometime that didn't even work with me getting sideways and out of shape) but usually that gave the other car a good jump and I would have to catch them. I actually got beat by some "slow cars" in stop light to stop light encounters. Very very frustration when your driving a 400 rwhp LS1 and you get beat by a stock GT in a stop light encounter. (that will definately not happen in my STi)

What I liked best about my Modded LS1 was racing on the highway or from a roll at higher speeds 80mph+. Thats where it was at its best (like and STi from a dig). I smoked some seriously fast cars and Bikes at 100+mph. The car just hauled ass on the top end. But it was frustrating on the street from a dig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast