Spanked by an SS Z28-torque kills - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Spanked by an SS Z28-torque kills within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not a bad death, it could have been worse. A buddy of mine has a 2001 SS with exhaust,intake,a cam ...

Not a bad death, it could have been worse. A buddy of mine has a 2001 SS with exhaust,intake,a cam and header set,airlid and some Nitto drag radials and he makes 525 whp and about 475 in torque. He can run low 11's like nothing with that beast and thats not even fully modded. The 4th gen LS1 engines are serious killers when fully modded and if you put a S/C on top of it, there are very few cars that can even hang with you.

The Cobra has a ton of potential but it is only 4.6L as opposed to the LS1's 5.7L so the LS1 will breathe much better and can be made faster then a modded Cobra anyday. The Cobra only puts out 375 whp WITH a S/C, the LS1 will put out more than that with only a cam and an airlid, there is really no comparison, its one of the best engines ever built. Unless some turbo and modded out car is carrying a huge shot of nitrous, a heavily modded Supra or Z06 would be your only real challenges.
    Last edited by mball; 07-18-2004 at 04:12 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My bro has a 02 M6 Z28 Full bolt on and he is dynoed in at 345 whp and since then he added a pully and thermosat which should at least be 350 whp. A 02 z28 bolt on is will probably beat a Stcok Roush. They trap at 110-114 mph

And btw if anyone didnt know there is a big difference between a 98-00 and 01-02 LS1 the 01-02 LS1's have the z06 intake and at first me and my brother didnt think it made a difference untill i spoke to someone who had a 98 z28 full bolt on and his friend had a 02 z28 and they do pulls all they time and they are even everytime. Thats says something i guess.

Soo EvoVIII get a 02 z28 (you can pick one up with low miles for 19k) and bolt ons (another 2-3k) and you will be just as fast or even faster then the roush.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

1) drag radials are only good in track prepped situations. someones exhaust shoots out condensation and your spinning through 3 gears, lol.

2) he ran a 13.1 WITH RADIALS!!!! this makes a HUGE difference on a car with that much torque that is RWD. radial can make a half second difference on a car like that. most ls1 drivers will get mid 13's with a well driven M6. the ones that get low 13's have been driving the cars for years and know how to use the power most effectively.
    if he ran 13.1 with radials, that means without them in complete stock form he would have been good for a 13.4-13.7

3) there will always be someone faster... you cant run around trying to be the fastest car... IT WONT WORK the more you think like that, the more your pride gets hurt when you lose.

4) should have bought a cobra... i know the roush is rare and all, but the 03+ cobra is better in every other way and has more potential.
    cobra with $500 in pulley, exhaust and you would have run right next to that SS
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Theres a Pinto wagon that runs 9's at the local raceway here. You could buy that and be pimp
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

Originally posted by DTR rex
    1) drag radials are only good in track prepped situations. someones exhaust shoots out condensation and your spinning through 3 gears, lol.

2) he ran a 13.1 WITH RADIALS!!!! this makes a HUGE difference on a car with that much torque that is RWD. radial can make a half second difference on a car like that. most ls1 drivers will get mid 13's with a well driven M6. the ones that get low 13's have been driving the cars for years and know how to use the power most effectively.
    if he ran 13.1 with radials, that means without them in complete stock form he would have been good for a 13.4-13.7

3) there will always be someone faster... you cant run around trying to be the fastest car... IT WONT WORK the more you think like that, the more your pride gets hurt when you lose.

4) should have bought a cobra... i know the roush is rare and all, but the 03+ cobra is better in every other way and has more potential.
    cobra with $500 in pulley, exhaust and you would have run right next to that SS

+drag...

All of our tires are Radials...

I bet I'm one of the few here that owns a car that came with bias ply tires, and still has one of them

Ive seen 01-02 SS's run 13.1-13.3 completely stock. Just like there are 12.9 second STi's in stock form.

Like someone said earlier... tell the diesel owners that its impossible to have more torque than HP...

One of my cars has 260 (gross) hp and 385 (gross) ft/lbs of torque, and the engine that is going in it has ...

517ft/lbs of torque and 476hp...

Better to be killed by a built Ls1 than a stock v6 mustang
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

Originally posted by olsaltybastard
    Nice loss. Always gonna be someone faster, that's for sure. Anyways, did he say it was impossible for the torque to be higher than the horsepower? May want to tell that to those who have diesels. He is absolutely correct in his recommendation to build for torque, as this is what an engine produces.

Got any pics of that mustang of yours? I wouldn't mind having a gander at it.
    Yeah...and people with Vipers.....
    '04 PSM Wagon. Silver Wagon Club? What is that? Am i in it?

Originally posted by BobbyD
    Go sell that roush. Get your evo back. I have heard of evo's running 11.6 on stock turbo...I still think you should get the evo back, put some cams in it, AEM standalone, all the supporting mods and you could probably reach close to 400 at the wheels with the stocker.

-BobbyD
    It's David Buschur's EVO. The guy is well known in the DSM world. He lives about 45 minutes from Cleveland, Ohio.

11.65 @ 117.88 mph on stock 16G turbo

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Originally posted by mball
    Not a bad death, it could have been worse. A buddy of mine has a 2001 SS with exhaust,intake,a cam and header set,airlid and some Nitto drag radials and he makes 525 whp and about 475 in torque.
    Are you sure about those numbers? There are very few people with NA LS1 with stock displacement that have 500hp. 525hp would be extremely difficult, and I don't think anyone has done it without heads.

Originally posted by Cavadini
    I dunno if he was telling the truth about the whole 13.7 v 13.1 thing. keep in mind how big of a difference drag radials are going to help out a RWD V8. I've seen many stock LS1's running 13.5's 13.6's around here. Who knows though right?
    I have seen many many stock LS1's run low 14s at the track or high 13s, 90 percent of them at the track are not stock, the ones that are stock don't seem to be as fast as people say. My brother even beat a LS1 vette with his wrx and he only ran a 13.9. I see soo many people talk about all these times but i go to the track all the time and it just doesn't seem like these times actually happen all that often on a stock car. I am sure alot of it has to do with the drivers, but that means that a good percent of the drivers that take their cars to the track can't drive? But i have also yet to see a wrx run a 14.1 stock and i saw an evo and a few sti's run consistant 14s. I know its not the track because i ran a 16.3 in my 88 turbo t-bird bone stock with 136k miles on it and car and driver only managed a 16.4 with it, so the track isn't slow.

Originally posted by olsaltybastard
    Anyways, did he say it was impossible for the torque to be higher than the horsepower? May want to tell that to those who have diesels.
    Or he may want to tell this to people that have LS1, because stock, they have more torque than horsepower.

Also, 405 whp seems more right on than 475 whp. Especially if he is running low 12s.

it might just be me, but i though this was a WRX board...and the forum was WRX Vs. The world....I could be wrong though....
    "Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left York at 6:36 p.m. travelling at 55mph, the other from Peterborough at 4:19 p.m.at a speed of 35mph."

Originally posted by Depeche
    it might just be me, but i though this was a WRX board...and the forum was WRX Vs. The world....I could be wrong though....
    You are. Do a search. This has come up before.

awww, is someone cranky? what am i supposed to search for anyhow?
    "Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left York at 6:36 p.m. travelling at 55mph, the other from Peterborough at 4:19 p.m.at a speed of 35mph."

Originally posted by Depeche
    awww, is someone cranky? what am i supposed to search for anyhow?
    Cranky? Hardly. I just don't see why someone would use their six and seventh posts to complain about what someone has posted on WRX vs. the World.

Your complaint is unfounded as well, as this is the WRX vs. the World subsection of the forum. If you read in one thread that a a WRX beat car a and in another thread that car a beat car b, then you can assume that there is a good chance that a WRX will beat car b. Therefore outcomes of races not even involving WRXs are useful even to a WRX forums.

You must also keep in mind that a large percentage of people on this site are car enthusiasts in general, and there are a number of people that post here that would like to own WRXs in the future, as well as those who used to own them in the past.

AS for searching, I did it for you. Here are a couple threads where this is discussed:

Havent posted in awhile but this kill(s) was too sweet

SS Camaro thought I was funny.....

There are more, too, if you care to read through them. If you don't want to read about races that don't involves WRXs, just don't click on the link.

hp vs. torque

Not even that unusual for a gas engine to have more torque than hp, just dpends on the architecture. Stock my ZR-2 pickup makes 190hp and 240ft-lbs...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.