Several races against friends RSX-S
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Several races against friends RSX-S within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Let me start by saying I have seen several posts on this forum and on the RSX forum debating the ...

Thumbs up Several races against friends RSX-S

Let me start by saying I have seen several posts on this forum and on the RSX forum debating the performance between these two cars. I love both of these cars and if the RSX had come out a little sooner it would have been a seriously difficult decision between the two of them. I typically do not post on forums, just browse for useful information but I have finally decided to share an experience of mine. Hopefully you will find this helpful.

My good friend purchased an RSX-S a couple of months ago and ever since he bought it we both wanted a chance to see how the cars compared. We finally had a chance a little while ago to really compare the ability of these two cars under several different driving conditions. Let me get out of the way that his car has roughly 7,000 miles and an injen intake. My car has roughly 17,000 miles and a MBC set to 15 along with several stereo upgrades.

We met up on a dry sunny day with the temp around 70. We drove off to our favorite deserted stretch of road in the back of an industrial complex that is completely empty on the weekend. There is a great stretch of road that I can get up to about 105 mph on before slowing down, so I figure it's at least a 1/4 mile long.

So here are some of the results. First we started off with a simple 0 - 100 or so run. After several attempts I would typically have 2-3 cars off the launch and pull to about 5 - 7 by the time I hit 100. Hard to say exactly, but there was a good bit of ground between him and me in my rear view mirror. Next I would allow him to gain traction and actually move about a car length ahead before I would launch this race was closer. After launch I would be about even with him by the 1-2 shift and by 100 he would be roughly 3-5 lengths back depending on how we launched. In order to confirm these results we each switched cars for a dozen tries and aside from him bogging several times, once he figured things out the results were exactly the same. Basically the RSX didnít have much of a chance if I launched from a stop.

We next moved on to a couple of longer open 4 lane country roads where we were able to give the rolling start races a go. Neither my friend or myself race above 80 on these public streets even though no one was around. I don't care what the results above 80 are because you will not find either of us racing above those speeds. Anyway, we first started with 15 - 80 runs and the result was typically me pulling about 2 - 3 cars by the time we had to shut down. We next moved up to a 30 - 80 run and the results were a little closer but I was always around 2 cars lengths ahead. The 50 - 80 results were even closer, depending on who stepped down on the gas first but it appeared I would always nose ahead until he was at around the rear passenger doors. We again switched and allowed the other a try to make sure it was not driver error, very similar results. I will say it appeared the RSX was at least hanging even if not gaining a little right around where we began to slow down. I don't now what would happen above 80. But I would guess unless the WRX really crapped out the RSX would probably pull even a little over 100.

We both agreed with the cars in their current mods there was really no way the RSX was faster. The RSX certainly performed very well and somewhat better than I expected. I would imagine if we were both stock it would be a fairly even race from a roll at the speeds we tested. Please keep in mind I consider myself a fairly good driver, but I have never taken my car to the track to confirm this.

I have attempted to be as impartial and objective as possible. I hope this was somewhat helpful. Sorry about the length of the post!
    Last edited by TRBO227; 07-31-2002 at 02:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the story. It about confirms what we all know to be true.

-Jim

Thanks for sharing your experiences, TRBO227. Oh, and welcome aboard the board. I, like you, don't normally partake in online forums, but this is the one exception I make. Although I am a memeber of i-club, I don't actually think I have any posts.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I was expecting everything you said. I've raced a few type-s before and experienced the same results.

Re: Several races against friends RSX-S

Originally posted by TRBO227

I have attempted to be as impartial and subjective as possible. I hope this was somewhat helpful. Sorry about the length of the post!
    That was about as impartial and objective (that's what I think you meant) of a post as I've seen on any board. Thanks, that was a breath of fresh air. I drive an RSX-S and your post was exactly what I'd expect as well. ****, you even went so far as to "scientifically" test your results (he drove your car, you drove his).

I'm sure someone will say "see, I knew the RSX-S would pull on the WRX at 100" but hey, if you've got 5-7 lengths on him by that time, its still going to take the RSX-S awhile to make that ground up (even if its true)...and not that many people race over 100mph anyway! That's over a 1/4 trap for any stock RSX-S I've seen, so the race would be over by then!

thanks for the post.

I got to race one also, but not in a wrx, in my neon (a few mods that should net it a high 14). We raced from a roll of 45 on the interstate (no traffic at all) and I immediately jumped a car lenght in front before I shifted out of 2nd. I thought to myself, what the hell is going on? So I let off and heard him on it (they sound like they have an aftermarket intake stock). Well I had it in 3rd and waited till he caught my rear bumper and floored it again. I waited a little bit too long, cause his momentum let him pull past me and continue to put about 3-4 car lenghts on me by 115. We'd caught up with traffic by now and couldn't try it again. Reason I intially pulled on him is because he left it in 3rd, not 2nd like he should have (don't guess he was expecting any competition). We then ran from a light up to around 95. We launched good and at the end of 1st he was even with my rear tire. End of 2nd I had about 1/2 - 1 carlenght on him. Grabbed 3rd and he started pulling back up on me and right when I let off his nose was a couple of feet ahead of mine. His car was stock except for a muffler. It was a fun run, and I see how it would be damn hard for a near stock one to ever catch up to an AWD launch.

Jason
    1998 Turbo Neon..My own Stage 42
    2004 WRX Wagon....getting rid of it

I could have bought the RSX-S... The choice was mine.

But then I thought, can the RSX go off road and chase down a trail?

Hell no.

Now I have a little blue car sitting in my garage. Nuff said.

You know what...

There's this dirt road behind my working place...

And everyday..it just calls to me..

"Your WRX belongs here...in heaven...come..join us.."

It's too bad this thing cost so damn much..otherwise I'd be having to wash this thing everyday after I get home from work.
    1993 RX-7 TT
    http://home.attbi.com/~archangle10/w...7/site1005.jpg
    SSP Pineapple Racing Rebuild/Stage 2 Oil/Rebuilt Tranny/HKS Downpipe/Apex-i PFCw/Commander/RB Dual SS Catback/ACT S/S Clutch/Resurfaced Flywheel/ASI AST/Fluidyne Radiator/Polished UIM/Throttlebody/Efini Y-Pipe/Silicone Hose Job
    Koni Shocks/Eibach Springs/Mazdaspeed Bushings/Brembo Dimpled/Slotted Rotors/G-Stop Steel Brake Lines/EBC Greenstuff
    Kenwood eXcelon Z919 CD-MP3/Infinity Kappa Perfect Sound System/2 JBL Power 360W Amps/2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect Subs
    Car Pics: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291149161
    Modification Pics: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291071767

2002 Subaru WRX
    FATT

Originally posted by Master Of Pain
    I could have bought the RSX-S... The choice was mine.

But then I thought, can the RSX go off road and chase down a trail?

Hell no.

Now I have a little blue car sitting in my garage. Nuff said.
    Well, I wish I had been as smart as you when I walked into the Acura dealership.

"Oh, 200HP!" (they don't tell you it has 5lb-ft of torque)
    "Oh, luxurious interior" (they don't tell you it doesn't have an armrest)
    "Oh, fast in the turns" (they don't tell you that all FWD absolutely suck when turning)
    "Oh, great mpg" (they don't tell you that Expeditions get better mpg than the RSX)
    "Oh, you'll be joining a wonderful community of Acura owners" (they don't tell you... nah... that one is too easy )
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.