Chrysler 300 does ricer fly-by

This is a discussion on Chrysler 300 does ricer fly-by within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This happened a few days ago, and I never got around to posting this. I was driving home on my ...

Chrysler 300 does ricer fly-by

This happened a few days ago, and I never got around to posting this. I was driving home on my lunch break when I spotted a new Chrysler 300 quickly approaching from behind. We came to a 3 lane stop light with me in the middle lane and the 300 in the right lane. He seemed to be in a big hurry creeping forward before the light turned green. I had to be in the right lane to get onto the interstate so the 300 had to be passed. I took off with a very light launch at around 3k, and by the end of first I had a 1/2 car. By the end of 2nd I had over 2 cars. By the results of the race this 300 had to be the 250hp 3.5 liter, not the 5.7 liter 340hp model. Having taken over the right lane I merged onto the interstate and settled down to a 65mph cruising speed in the middle lane when the 300 comes around in the right lane (which ends ahead) to do a ricer fly by. Yes, I know I should have shut him down, but I thought the 300 had had enough. There was also traffic around so no sense reproving my point and endangering people in the process. I must have pissed the guy off pretty good to get him to do a fly-by.
    2004 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    He's probably regretting not getting that hemi.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

"Hey buddy... my car puts out 250HP too!"

Josh is right... I bet he's sitting at a dealership right now talking trade..
    Chris

1999 Integra LS

AIM: Aracheon

Originally posted by josnroh
    He's probably regretting not getting that hemi.
    Has anyone had an encounter from a stoplight with the hemi 300 on here? I know they are capable of better times than a stock WRX, but I am curious of the results on the street. I know from a roll the WRX (stock) is no match.
    2004 WRX

that's not terribly impressive. The 3.5L runs 0-60 in about 8.3s and high 15s in the quarter. The 5.7l hemi 300c does 5.3s 0-60 and I've seen high 13s low 14s in the quarter(I've actually personally witnessed one running a 13.6@104 with custom exhaust and panel filter, and mind you, this isn't a tough thing after you figure out how to launch, after that it's just holding the go pedal down). The 3.5l versions run about 3800lbs, while the 5.7l comes in at a hair over 4000lbs. Go sit in one. They aren't race cars, but for the money they are a hell of a lot of car. You could easily fit 6 dead bodies in the trunk without having to cut them up too much.
    Last edited by illusion; 07-16-2004 at 10:37 AM.

I'm kicking around the idea of selling my cars (Stealth & Grand Marquis) and buying a 300C. Maybe I'm getting too old

There's talk of an AWD model in Dec/Jan. If that's the case, that'll probably seal the deal for me.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Ah jus' bought one...

...and I *didn't* get the Hemi.

Test-drove the heck outta the Hemi, but what turned me off was the transmission. It is a Mercedes six-speed scaled down to a five-speed with this screwy side-to-side shifting that I just didn't like.

*shrug*

I'll prolly git flamed by the "gotta git the Hemi" crowd, but even though the 3.5 is significantly slower (but still quick enough for me), the weight distribution is, literally, 50/50 on the E-class Mercedes frame. The 3.5 makes 250hp/250fpt, which I find matches the car just fine.

It ain't no STi nor WRX when it comes to speed, but it handles *wonderfully,* has plenty of punch, STYLE UP THE A**, and I eagerly look forward to polyurethane bushings, K&N CAI/filter setup, 19" or 20" rims and some nice, wide, sticky tires. Plus some dark tint.

Given the fact that I've owned a MY02 WRX wagon since day 4 of their release, I can appreciate what decent speed, handling, and looks bring to the driving experience. It sucks that some foo-lee-o did a fly-by... I feel like I've got "class" behind my new wheel.

John: the AWD gits introduced in Oct!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chrysler300c-front-fisheye-200-149.jpg  
    Last edited by burntclutch4u; 07-16-2004 at 09:59 PM.
    -2k2 WRX Wagoneer, silver

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go ahead and buy one, looks like in October I picked up a brochure and the Car & Driver booklet (both at the dealership).

I'm going to special-order it with everything I want. Hemi for me, with HIDs and a sunroof. No navigation; I'll be building my own carputer with headrest monitors, etc. There's not enough wood on the inside for me but I've already found a great kit to fix that.

I've seen where one guy with a K&N and exhaust ran 13.6 @ 104. I think that'd be enough to keep me happy speed-wise. I can't find any better tires (I prefer Bridgestone RE750's) in that size but maybe they'll be out later. The best part is I'll save several hundred bucks a month between payments & insurance.
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

John M, how's the reliability on that stealthTT?
    '03 white rex

I've driven one for 4 years and had no problems. As long as it's driven sanely (no redline clutch dumps) and maintained properly, it's great. People who have problems usually bought a beater to save money on the purchase. I learned that from my first one; bad idea.

Some parts are expensive; a clutch job is almost $1000 (the clutch is $550 by itself). Build quality is 10x what you see today. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement car built with a non-tacky (read: hard plastic) interior. What's so hard about using padded vinyl?

It's ok as a daily driver but better as a 2nd car. I drove DSMs for 10 years before that and would say the same about them. It's true that the 3S is a grown-up's DSM. It has more features and all the ability, plus bottom-end torque that no 4 cyl can match. Long road trips are a breeze - toss it in 6th gear, engage the "quiet" exhaust mode, and let the fully auto AC blow as you cruise for hours.

That's my biggest hangup about selling the car. If I ever wanted to build another "fast" car, there's no other platform I'd want to use (and I've done all the wrenching on my brother's 94 Supra w/ single, etc) and there's no better example than the car I already have. Decisions, decisions!

BTW - I'm also considering a Legacy GT but the luxury of the 300C is a big factor.
    John M

I have test driven the 300 hemi and I was very disappionted with performance. Car is just so big that HP just disappears
    The Only Credit I Ever Got Was Credit For Time Served

yea, and its also faster than a wrx
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

About 6 weeks ago I decided on a Legacy GT. I've got some offers on my Stealth so I should be buying a Legacy before the end of September.
    John M

Ike
    Originally posted by 2004SilverWRX
    Has anyone had an encounter from a stoplight with the hemi 300 on here? I know they are capable of better times than a stock WRX, but I am curious of the results on the street. I know from a roll the WRX (stock) is no match.
    I've driven my father's Magnum RT quite a bit, it's pretty damn fun and I love mashing on the pedal. On the street from a dig it's pretty hard to say if all the electronic gadgetry will help or hurt the RT/300, with the ESP turned off it's pretty damn easy to lay a patch of rubber and the throttle control on them is really touchy.