Popular mechanics takes the fastest 8 stock street cars to the track
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Popular mechanics takes the fastest 8 stock street cars to the track within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Are you shure this is popular mecahnics http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tion_nation_2/ and also this (never thought of it this way ) http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...rsepower_wars/...

Popular mechanics takes the fastest 8 stock street cars to the track

Are you shure this is popular mecahnics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tion_nation_2/

and also this (never thought of it this way )

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...rsepower_wars/
    Last edited by audirs6; 07-15-2004 at 01:20 PM.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Weak test, those are NOT the fastest stock cars. My Roush would have tied for 4th with the Porsche or maybe even beat it if I had another great run like the one in my sig. A Cobra would have been right in there too and both the Roush and the Cobra are alot cheaper then any of those.

i'll be the one...

"SRT-4 is teh FASTAR!"

I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    Weak test, those are NOT the fastest stock cars. My Roush would have tied for 4th with the Porsche or maybe even beat it if I had another great run like the one in my sig. A Cobra would have been right in there too and both the Roush and the Cobra are alot cheaper then any of those.
    I didn't know that Roush built cars from the ground up?? Your Roush is as stock as a Buick Grand National GNX. The Roush is a modded Mustang GT, how is that stock?
    2004 WRX

GNX was a factory package, therefore, just as stock as STi's or EVo's or SRT-4's... etc.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

Mustangs are POS

FORD = F***er Only Runs Downhill.

Originally posted by PIMPWGN
    Mustangs are POS

FORD = F***er Only Runs Downhill.
    another smart comment from the biggest tool box...

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    I think you should look at the trap speeds. They were basing it on that too. Cobra cannot touch those trap speeds stock. Of course there are other cars that are in that league. for example Enzo or porche Gt or GT3.

Btw just to let you know those are not magazine numbers those are numbers at the drag strip, which are the most accurate even then there million dollar equipment so thats what they run at the track. I first couldnt beleive the mag numbers for the Z06 (trap 114), Viper (trap 120 mph), or E55 (115-116) but then i saw this. Btw the trap speeds that are in the magazines are 1-3 mph diff because they quote the speed at the end of the quarter. At the darg strip they take the avarage of the last 60 foot, so the faster the car the more the trap speed will make a diff

Also those number (both et and trap speed) i have personally seen some people do better. I have seen a stock e55 do 12.1 @117 and also 11.88@118 which is very possible because the guy had drag radials and people are doing 12.0-12.5 WITH traction control on. so in that case you can take the TC off. People in Z06s are trapping 115-117. The most personally i have seen a cobra was 113 mph, very rare if there is anyone doing over that ( stock off course) so these numbers aren the fastest but are very good and driven by perf drivers.

I wonder what they would get the sti?
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!

Family:
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Originally posted by SLOW4EAT
    another smart comment from the biggest tool box...
    stop following me around the forum...

Originally posted by 2004SilverWRX
    I didn't know that Roush built cars from the ground up?? Your Roush is as stock as a Buick Grand National GNX. The Roush is a modded Mustang GT, how is that stock?
    Ahh...you are right, didnt think of that, carry on then.

The Saleen S7 isnt superchanrged...... all motor.. why no Ferrari's? Ferrari wouldnt give then any cars.
    Perrin short ram, Perrin Uppie, Perrin inlet hose, Perrin IC hoses, Cobb AP stage 2, MRT 3' turbo back, AMP boost controller @ 15.5psi, Freedom design front strut tower bar, Cuses Rear Strut tower Bar, KYB Adj Shocks, Eiback Springs, Perrin Rear sway bar, and links, 17' OZ Crono Evolution(17.5 lbs) W/ BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW 2

Interesting little tidbit about the 911 Turbo launching techniques, that very well applies to the WRX:

This car has incredibly good traction, but there's a fine line between bogging the motor and breaking an axle. So instead of dumping the clutch from a stratospheric rpm, we slipped the clutch from about 3000 rpm and that got us just enough front-wheel spin to keep the motor on boost at launch.
    Hmmmm, I wonder if the Porsche boards are filled people saying it has a glass tranny? Or maybe it's inherent with any powerful AWD vehicle. Hmmmmmmmmmm
    '03 WRX
    '03 SV650

I'm surprised that no BMW made it on the list. I've always debated on either a MB or BMW when I become a flithy rich IT employee But it looks like I'll be driving a MB since they seem to have more balls from the stoplight.
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

It's how I've been launching for the past 12 years. You'll kill any AWD transmission with redline clutch dumps.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Originally posted by merlot
    Interesting little tidbit about the 911 Turbo launching techniques, that very well applies to the WRX:

Hmmmm, I wonder if the Porsche boards are filled people saying it has a glass tranny? Or maybe it's inherent with any powerful AWD vehicle. Hmmmmmmmmmm
    You can spin all four wheels in the porche if you drop the clutch.

Plus they also said they didnt go full throttle on the e55 until third imagine that thing on DRs
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!

Family:
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast