Popular mechanics takes the fastest 8 stock street cars to the track - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Popular mechanics takes the fastest 8 stock street cars to the track within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by DeeezNuuuts83 That's correct, the E55 has an open differential. However, it has some stuff like Traction Control, ...

jeb
    Originally posted by DeeezNuuuts83
    That's correct, the E55 has an open differential. However, it has some stuff like Traction Control, DSC (Dynamic Stability Control), and some other three-letter Mercedes-Benz gadgets that help it handle better. But yeah, I wonder why they just don't put an LSD. Maybe it's just part of their philosophy to stay away from LSDs, kind of like how their best cars with the baddest engines are all automatics.
    Oh yea I forgot. They use electronic brake distribution, so the car just brakes the wheel that's spinning to transfer power back to the other one. Seems a little silly but for how that benze gets out of the hole it must get the job done.
    2002 Silver WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Im suprised they didn't have a Bugatti on that list those cars are crazy fast, and the new BMW M5 is teh win with a new v10 commin for it, can't wait to see those on the road

Originally posted by rmackay82
    Im suprised they didn't have a Bugatti on that list those cars are crazy fast, and the new BMW M5 is teh win with a new v10 commin for it, can't wait to see those on the road
    Bugattis aren't currently sold in the United States, are they? Regardless, I was hoping to see either the CL65 AMG or the SL65 AMG somewhere, but they probably weren't on the streets at the time of the comparison.

a few things come to mind:

1) these people suck at driving. 12.9 w/ E55 amg???? almost everyone else mags, and owners alike are getting 12.4-12.6

2) half the cars that would have contended, and placed better than 3-5 were not even there.

3) who the hell gets a 12.3 with a 911 turbo? that car is EASILY capable of high 11's.

4) Enzo would have OWND all those cars HARD (i know they couldnt get one.... but still!)

5) did i mention they suck at driving??
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by DTR maxima
    a few things come to mind:

1) these people suck at driving. 12.9 w/ E55 amg???? almost everyone else mags, and owners alike are getting 12.4-12.6

2) half the cars that would have contended, and placed better than 3-5 were not even there.

3) who the hell gets a 12.3 with a 911 turbo? that car is EASILY capable of high 11's.

4) Enzo would have OWND all those cars HARD (i know they couldnt get one.... but still!)

5) did i mention they suck at driving??
    Porsche 911 Turbo doing 11s stock? I've never heard of one doing 11s....
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by AsianWRX
    Ferrari = overrated
    i dont get why you knock ferraris? is performance everything? should we get into another srt-4 discussion?

they have intangibles. the sound, the look, the super-ultra snob appeal. many people can own a porsche and mb, but very few can own a ferrari and lambo.

ferrari buyers are similar to range rover buyers, buy em for appeal, not for what they are made for.

they are not overated, they are what they are. they are ferraris.
    Last edited by express_wagon; 07-16-2004 at 09:32 PM.
    04 PSM Rex Wgn
    5-spd

Originally posted by express_wagon

Thats my favorite quote.

Ferrari = overrated
    that's only when people buy them as a status symbol. If people buy them for autocrossing (what they are built for), they are great machines.

Originally posted by WilliamG
    Porsche 911 Turbo doing 11s stock? I've never heard of one doing 11s....
    the majority of times i have seen range between 11.8-12.1 with most of the mags getting an 11.9 or so.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Originally posted by express_wagon
    i dont get why you knock ferraris? is performance everything? should we get into another srt-4 discussion?

they have intangibles. the sound, the look, the super-ultra snob appeal. many people can own a porsche and mb, but very few can own a ferrari and lambo.

ferrari buyers are similar to range rover buyers, buy em for appeal, not for what they are made for.

Easy there fella, performance ISN'T everything. As stated from my statment earlier:

True... But with my bling I'll take some bang also. With the bling and the bang you'll get another type of bang.

I'll take a Porsche or a MB for my bling and bang factor thank you
    If Ferrari makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, more power to you. IMO, the last thing we need in this world is for me to become one of those stuck up "I'm too good to race you cuz i got a ferrari" type of people.
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Easy there fella, performance ISN'T everything. As stated from my statment earlier:

If Ferrari makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, more power to you. IMO, the last thing we need in this world is for me to become one of those stuck up "I'm too good to race you cuz i got a ferrari" type of people.

i rather see more type of people on the street. because street racing is stupid and dangerous. i guess when you get your mb and/or porsche in the future, you'll be provoking races.
    04 PSM Rex Wgn
    5-spd

Ferraris are a special car company, you have to own one before you can go to a dealer to buy one, they do background checks and all kinds of **** for ferrari owners and special editions, they are in no way overrated, they are amazing machines, have you ever seen the detail put into the design and the manufacturing of the car, most everything is made and designed by hand they aren't mass producing factory cars, they rock and as soon as I can afford a used one im gonna get one and when i get the achieve the ability to be able to go into a dealer and get one its going to be amazing. The oil changes on the enzo is like 1,000 bucks, Ferrari = best car company ever IMO

Ferraris are in a class of their own. YOu don't buy them b/c you want a Ferrari to go fast.

You buy them because you are filthy stinking rich and you want to buy another playtoy. Ferraris are above you and I.
    '03 white rex

Originally posted by Drod
    Considering that all good IT jobs are going to India and China, I believe that the only ones driving BMW's and MB will be them in the future. Americas top firms only do management consulting and leave the applications development to contracted firms abroad. If you find yourself actually doing IT work for an American firm then 9 out of 10 times they are government contractors and will pay you squat. Itís hard to make big money from government contracts. The average billable rate a firm charges the government for your duties will be 50 to 90 dollars an hour. Unless you are an IT manager or web architect the average starting IT job is about 40k down from 55k in 2000. You need to hook up with a consulting firm, they tend to pay better than an Integrator like EDS, IBM or SAIC. I was an IT guy, and had to change path and become a project manager. The hot sectors today are in information security (CISSP) or Configuration Management.

No, the hot sector is still there! IT is just a small subset of tech; it is more of a trade skill IMO than a hardcore intellectual piece of property like computer science. That is why it's so useless to go to a trade school and learn how to program or something; major in CS and you can learn any programming language in a day. And it's not that CS majors can't find jobs, they get into the "programming" rut where CS is so much more (AI, cryptography, robotics, algorithms, etc.). If you go to a top university and major in CS you'll still do major pwnage in life if you play your cards right (IE secure internships, use alumni network connections). Good example is the median pay stats for engineering undergraduate degrees from Stanford: CS is @ 70-80K starting pay, 2003 statistics. More than any other engineering discipline.
    '03 white rex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123