Evolution VII vs. WRX - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evolution VII vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Why is everyone bringing up the STi when the regular WRX with a couple bucks in mods will crush the ...

Why is everyone bringing up the STi when the regular WRX with a couple bucks in mods will crush the Evo VII already? Not flaming, just kind of curious, that's all.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wrx

the project wrx they used on scp is 51 hp over stock that's 278hp
    the evo 276 that's pretty much even. just say it the wrx lost know don't get me wrong
    i love my wrx.

wrx

excuse the puncitun and the spelling i am a retard

Re: wrx

Originally posted by wrxallwheel
    excuse the puncitun and the spelling i am a retard
    No, you don't own an RSX.

Anyway, I wanted to ask what the torque numbers were for that WRX? Honestly, telling us that it has 278HP is just useless since torque is the real measure of an engine's power.
    2002 RSX Type S

Re: wrx

the project wrx they used on scp is 51 hp over stock that's 278hp
    the evo 276 that's pretty much even. just say it the wrx lost know don't get me wrong
    i love my wrx.
    Did you even read the article? They compared a regular (ok tuned) WRX against an EVO. They were never meant to compete. The only thing the WRX really lost at was in the turns (and that was with hardly anything done to suspension). The real comparison is between the STI and the EVO. I think the plain-jane WRX fared quite well against a worthy competitor.

Re: Re: wrx

Originally posted by junaitari

Did you even read the article? They compared a regular (ok tuned) WRX against an EVO. They were never meant to compete. The only thing the WRX really lost at was in the turns (and that was with hardly anything done to suspension). The real comparison is between the STI and the EVO. I think the plain-jane WRX fared quite well against a worthy competitor.
    The Evo VII would be a good car except it has the wrong 3 letters in its name. If we replaced the E with a W, the v with an R, and the o with an X, we now have a car that is much much better.

Sorry, after driving in a bone stock WRX and then hopping into a modded Evo VII, the WRX felt faster, cornered better, and had a much more luxurious interior. After all, who am I to argue with Consumer Reports!?
    2002 RSX Type S

sti

whatever

Re: sti

whatever
    Was that post directed at me?
    2002 RSX Type S

Originally posted by Drod
    Remember, the Evo that is slated for the US market will only make 250 hp.
    Actually the Evo VIII seems it will carry it's full 280bhp over here to the US, along with a 6speed transmission. Course if you haven't seen it yet, then you'll be excited to know... IT LOOKS LIKE A PONTIAC! At least the new front end design does.

As for the STi... I have confirmation that it will be Available in May 2003, when the new Legacy comes out. A little thing they seem to be trying to keep quite on for now.

The Lan-Evo in it's first year is to be marked up from it's 30k MSRP, up to 35 to 50k and will vary from dealership to dealership.

I read sometime back in one of the car mags that the STi in the US will sell for about 40k, and it's primary competition will be the Lan-Evo (obvious reasons) and apparently they say will compete with the BMw M3. Personally I think the STi will eat the M3 for a small snack and the EvoVIII will provide it months and months of competition, arguments, and endless battles in reviews about which is better.

I'm an Evo fan myself, but over the last weeks I've worked hard to get my father to buy a WRX for himself instead of a VW Jetta, then the final battle a BMW 330xi. He drove it home last week, and loves it. He thinks it's the best car he's ever driven. Volvos, BMWs, Audis, Ford Taurus SHO (back on the early 90s), Miata, Saab 900 Turbo, Nissan, and other cars here and there, including my stupid little Ford ZX2 (which they seem to believe a ZX2 can out perform a WRX. If you're a guy who loves to flame, you'll find these kiddies at zx2racing.com). So, in the time I was working on getting him to make a good choice, I've become fond of the WRX. I'm in confilct with if I want a STi or an Evo. I see the Evo being full on, and no real detuning. If the STi comes over here full blast though. Then I think the STi will have a chance to place the Evo in check. We shall see though!

~ Dan (Zapix)

PS: Not only have I changed my father from wanting a BMW to a WRX, he's now a performance nut, and is talking about modifying his car day and night now! Kind of scary since 3 weeks ago he thought the idea was stupid. Now he's all about it! WRXs are awesome cars, and if it wasn't for the Evo, I'd be all over it.

just get him to wait the 1000 mile break in period! Welcome to the board, also!
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by Zapix
    Personally I think the STi will eat the M3 for a small snack and the EvoVIII will provide it months and months of competition, arguments, and endless battles in reviews about which is better.
    I hope so! Considering the WRX already crushes the M3, you would hope that the STi would do even better!
    2002 RSX Type S

U can get alot more power with alot less money out of an evo than any subaru. The evos set the bench mark on 4 banger performance, in japan 400hp evos r the norm, yea mitsu had some problems with some of there cars, but hell who doesnt.
    97 GSX

Originally posted by sleepinGSX
    U can get alot more power with alot less money out of an evo than any subaru. The evos set the bench mark on 4 banger performance, in japan 400hp evos r the norm, yea mitsu had some problems with some of there cars, but hell who doesnt.
    Are you saying you can get +50lb-ft torque with a $5 mod in the Evo? If so, that is impressive because you can do that in the WRX.
    2002 RSX Type S

Originally posted by Trailboss516
    just get him to wait the 1000 mile break in period! Welcome to the board, also!
    Oh my, the 1000 mile break in. We heard from one dealership that it was 500 miles to stay below 4000rpm. Then we heard from the guy we bought from that there was no 500 mile break in, blah blah blah (secretly thinking, 'this is how I make multiple sales on one customer!'). Anyway, the first day he was driving it, he was reving around 6k every now and then. Thankfully he read in the manual that night about the 1000 mile thing. So since then he and I have been driving around for long periods of time to burn the miles in. Pushing about 600 or 700 now I believe. In the meantime he's deciding his upgrades. Cold air intake, full exaust, turbo charger, and a suspension kit.

He's a timid driver and really doesn't know about car control other than what a grandparent would know! I on the otherhand drive a 98' Ford ZX2 (FWD, 130bhp SOCH, nothing special) like it's a full on race car! I paid for that on some wet roads a few months ago when the car refused to turn into a left turn at about 25 to 30mph. Eitherway I know what my car can do and can't do, so I've been pushing him to break the limits I know my ZX2 has. So far he's handled it all with great ease. Now working on getting him into autocross.

Seems he might buy a Lan-Evo as well. He's turning this into a project for fun now. So, now that I've seen the new EvoVIII, and what a cute looking Pontiac it will be, I think I might end up getting an STi. Depends on pricing mainly in my case.

And thank you! I rarely join boards, and when I do I usually only stay around for a short time. In this case though, I'll be around long term although much more of a reader for now! Glad to join a community of WRX owners!

~ Dan (Zapix)

Originally posted by RSXSucks

Are you saying you can get +50lb-ft torque with a $5 mod in the Evo? If so, that is impressive because you can do that in the WRX.
    RSXSucks, can you please die?
    www.realultimatepower.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.