Evolution VII vs. WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evolution VII vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by gryphon That is the actual pic off of HKS USA's site... *shrug* I'm thinking of sourcing some ...

Originally posted by gryphon
    That is the actual pic off of HKS USA's site... *shrug*

I'm thinking of sourcing some small diameter SS and having a shop weld it on if possible. I wonder how much that would cost.

Any idea how big the wastegate dump tube should be?
    No smaller then a inch. 1 inch and half for the WG tubes should do.
    You'll also need to fabricate the DP flange to make room for the WG door to swing open, roughly 90- degrees of swing.

Are you thinking of modifying the HKS DP or fabricating your own twin tubes DP?

Hijack...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm thinking of modifying the HKS dp. All flanges must fit the existing one, so the flange is already there, it just must be "hollowed out". I just need to figure out the thickness of the steel, how much it will cost to bend (or purchase bends).

Here's one place:

https://secure.n2net.net/midlandxpre...?intProdID=695

They sell piping in 6" long sections.

1.5" OD x .065 wa (I'm assuming that's thickness?) is $60.55 for 72" . Could just simply run an open wastegate
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

That's funny, Tiff Needel said the WRX STi was easier to drive, more comfortable, and classier.

-Jim
    i will get the article and read it again to post the points they made, maybe it was a bad choice of words on my part maybe i should have said more work to drive, without the yaw ctrl. but also more fun.

Originally posted by gryphon
    I'm thinking of modifying the HKS dp. All flanges must fit the existing one, so the flange is already there, it just must be "hollowed out". I just need to figure out the thickness of the steel, how much it will cost to bend (or purchase bends).

Here's one place:

https://secure.n2net.net/midlandxpre...?intProdID=695

They sell piping in 6" long sections.

1.5" OD x .065 wa (I'm assuming that's thickness?) is $60.55 for 72" . Could just simply run an open wastegate
    Go with pre bent mandrel bends (U or J bends).
    Ironically you can pick some up at Alamo for under $25 per bend in any diameter.
    They are mostly Aluminized Steel.
    However you can purchase some 16-gauge T304 SS J or U-bends online for around that same price.

Manderal Bend Pipes

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

That's funny, Tiff Needel said the WRX STi was easier to drive, more comfortable, and classier.

-Jim
    found it, i was a bit confused the article is a drive of a UK/Singapore spec car. Writen by Kenneth Lim in Autocar (Asean edition). i will post some.

"The bad news is the WRX STi won't beat the Evo IIV in the hearts and minds of enthusiasts who want to drive quickly easily. The Subaru's sometimes tricky handling during fast, tight cornering tends to suit more experienced drivers with a flair for motorsports-style driving.... The STi version of the WRX has always been meant for the harder of the hard-core driving enthusiasts..."

Thats the brunt of it, he also likes the sti better thatn the evo.

sounds like i wish mine was!
    cost S$164,900 or 93,500 USD
    Last edited by Trypsin; 07-30-2002 at 04:29 PM.

Yes-the EVO handles the WRX-
    BUT, I have a video and a magazine of a comparison of the EVOVII and the STi by the UK magazine Top Gear. True, top speed is given to the Evo in the straights.
    HOWEVER, the STi wins in the curves with better handling. One more note-there was a comparison of the STi and EVO in the Japanese Best Motoring videos, and the EVO tears apart most other cars. I would attribute that to the fact that the EVO driver was the only driver to drop the clutch upon the start of the race, thereby giving it a massive lead over all cars in the competition (911, M3, M5, RX-7, GT-R, NSX, STi).
    Really, all comparisons should be between the STi and the EVO. They come in at the same price.
    02' WRX Platinum Silver
    I like my car!

To the people that were quoting the Sport Compact Car issue comparing their Project WRX vs. the Evo.....the Project WRX was more than just a "tad" behind. On their road course I remember the WRX lagged by at least 1.8 seconds....which in the words of the writer "can be an eternity on the track"...think about it....1.8 seconds?? Thats a lot of car lengths.....

The EVO also got better scores all around even though the WRX project car had the same if not faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile....

Yes, but, it wasn't an STI. And it didn't sound like they'd done much to the car to make it handle better.

Sure, it doesn't have the STi's exotic inverted struts; in fact, the only suspension mod on our car is a Progress Technology rear anti-roll bar
    Last edited by junaitari; 07-31-2002 at 05:05 AM.

does anyone know if the elec. center diff in the sti is adjustable? that alone would make my car much more drivable.

Has anyone heard the specs and price for the US Evo. Someone posted that the Evo is +$30,000, I think over in England its almost $40,000. If this is the case, I think the proper comparison is a WRX w/ 15k worth of mods to a stock Evo. Of course, in the case of the SCC mag test, a 40k car will destroy a 25k car with a couple of mods. I think its a testament to the bag for the buck of the WRX that it was even compared with the EVO.

sti

ooo please people stop hating,stop saying weak excuses like the wrx turn two degree better then the evo and **** like that. that just stupid and childish look the evo is going to pose a big problem yes it is a really fast pile of **** on wheel.at leaste
    88 percent of the people here are not going to race off road.
    most of the people here are going to the drag strip or street racing and were the evo is better.

sti varible valve timing
    larger intercooler and turbos
    drivetrain surtec set up front and rear and a v cupling.

evo

[turbo single] no hard feeling wrx for life

Please take a breath and learn to use punctuation. It will make what you "say" easier to read and more convincing.

Not trying to be mean, just that re-reading a post several times to extract meaning and sentence structure can be frustrating.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

Just wanted to let everyone know that some dealerships are taking orders for the new STI's. Yark automotive in Toledo is the only one I know about right now, but i'm sure if they are, then more dealerships are.
    Ever wonder why there's braille on the buttons at a DRIVE UP ATM machine???

Mods:
    3/16" vacuum connector
    GFB BOV
    AEM CAI
    17" OZ Superleggera's wrapped with Kumho Ecsta's
    Samco IC hoses
    clubWRX.net Sticker

Re: sti

Originally posted by wrxallwheel
    ooo please people stop hating,stop saying weak excuses like the wrx turn two degree better then the evo and **** like that. that just stupid and childish look the evo is going to pose a big problem yes it is a really fast pile of **** on wheel.at leaste
    88 percent of the people here are not going to race off road.
    most of the people here are going to the drag strip or street racing and were the evo is better.

sti varible valve timing
    larger intercooler and turbos
    drivetrain surtec set up front and rear and a v cupling.
    Actually if you read the article, the EVO was only faster in the turns. They were pretty much even in the 0-60 and 1/4.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast