wrx vs tailgaters - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on wrx vs tailgaters within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ya obviously the left lane is the fast lane...but if your not highway driving (which i wasnt when my story ...

ya obviously the left lane is the fast lane...but if your not highway driving (which i wasnt when my story took place) how can u justify how much over someone should go before someone should be angry? If the limit is 35 and someone is going 40-45 then that is fair in the "fast lane" but if like you are going the speed limit in the fast lan, then thats differnt. Highway is a whole differnt story. I hardly ever see someone going under 60mph there (speed limit 55) unless its a kid learning to drive on his highway for the first itme.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not that anyone asked...but here are my thoughts....

On a divided highway, as in multiple lanes on each side, the left lane is the fast-lane/passing lane. It doesn't matter how fast you are going, if someone behind you wants to go faster then get the hell over. I only use the left lane for passing until I can get back in the right lane. It pi$$es me off to no end to get stuck behind someone in the left land.

Around here flashing your headlights doesn't do squat! Daylight running lights don't help anything!

I don't tailgate, I just hang back and wait impatiently and usually blow their doors off in the right lane and flip them off as I'm going by.

I want to have a laminated sign made that says "Left-Lane Lizards $uck!" in big, bolt letters. I'll flash it at them as I pass instead of flipping them off.
    [COLOR=Navy]Steve in Minnesota
    '04 WRX Sport'n Wagon - PSM
    Drag Racing / Street Racing is for fast cars....Autocross is for fast drivers! COLOR]

Smile

I deal with tailgaters by continuing to wash my windshield until the tailgater is forced to back off and turn on his wipers. Works 95% of the time when you are going over 35 mph and they are within a few carlengths. Even better when the guy behind you has a clean car and you know it's killin him that his car is getting sprayed by washer fluid... "Hey, all I'm doing is innocently cleaning my windshield buddy! Can't help it if you're too close!"

Too many psychos out there to play dangerous games by swerving and brake checking, though...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I remember one time I was driving to a client's site in Mississauga (Ontario/Canada), and I was in the left lane stuck behind someone fluctuating between 90-100 km/h (speed limit 100km/h.) The three right hand lanes were congested with trucks and so this lane was the lesser of 4 evils.

Anyhow, I had this guy in a Civic tailgating the **** out of me. He'd back off and then take a run at my bump, probably hoping the air would magically push me out of the way. So here I am trapped between a slow driver and a river of trucks on my right. I could see a gap in the right lane approaching so I "peeked" around the car infront of me just to make sure no one was there. Well the guy behind me must have been a retard because he literally starts swerving his car back and forth, almost like he was copying "my peeking" but exaggerating it 10 fold. Holy **** did this freak me out. So now I'm convinced that I'm being tailgated by a psycho. At this point I downshifted to 3rd (in my RSX) and pulled into the gap, sped up, and whipped back infront of the slow driver, trapping the crazed maniac.

The worst part is that the crazy ****er forced me to drive more dangerously than I normally would.

Now that I have my STi, the thing I worry about the most is knowing that about 98% of the cars on the road cannot stop anywhere near as fast as the STi. So I'm dreading the day I have to stand on the brakes and the woman tailgating me, while doing her makeup and talking on the phone, rear-ends me.

BTW I never tailgate either. The advanced driving school I took showed me what could happen and I took it to heart. I always leave at least 10 car lengths between me and the car infront of me.
    Last edited by Digitalfiend; 07-14-2004 at 08:33 PM.

flip on ur head lights so it looks like ur brake lights are coming on while at the same time u accel. they will be confused.

I hate tailgators and so does my buddies dad, haha everytime somebody tailgates him he does a major break check on them, they usually almost hit him i can't rember anybody hitting yet but im not sure, but yeah after he does that they usually back off. I would do it but im afraid they hit my car and i hate having my car in the shop even if its gonna get fixed for free

If you have those rumble strips next to the highway...the ones that are there to wake sleeping drivers....when the tailgater is back there let your car drift onto that and you will kick up all kinds of nice roadside debris....

I was on 89 in VT going to Burlington... this is a 2 lane highway...I was in the left lane passing traffic that was going 65...I was going 80 in my Tacoma. This girl from Mass in a Camry was so close that I could only see the top half of her windsheild out of my rear view. This was a nice damp spring morning in VT (pretty much every spring morning is damp in VT)...I tap the brakes to flash the lights...nothing but a smirk from her. So I drift over onto the shoulder and kick up a cloud of "shoulder schmegg"....she is immediatly slowing down and using her wipers and washer fluid like it is her job. For the next half hour she just parked herself a hundred yards behind me...even when I pulled into the slowlane she would not pass me. Even in VT my 3 years of commuting into manhattan honed road rage creeps to the surface.

Originally posted by 2fastwrx3112
    Hey , i hate tailgaters just as much as the next guy, but ... for those who slow down to try and teach them a lesson be carefull. I usually do this too, but one time, i guess i really pissed off this redneck in a old ****ty-ass grand prix and kept slowing down.

I was going 55mph in a 45mph and he was riding my ass, like ON TOP of me, and this was in rush hour traffic (some how actually moving). So, i would tap the brakes a little and he would just start flicking me off. So i did the same, then slammed on the brakes and eh tried to pass me so i gun it so he cant get next to me or infront of me. Well, he finally got next to me and then starting swirving at me to try and hit me. IT was really bad, i had to go into on comming traffic (which isnt any better) to avoid him from hitting me.

Needless to say, he was a fvck about it, and i got his lic. plate and called the police. He was soon pulled over.

So guys, just be careful b/c there are alot of dumbasses out there and i dont want to see anyone get killed over something as stupid as tailgating.
    I agree that people should be careful.

One time, I was returning home from a trip when all I had was a PT Cruiser. Brother is in the passenger seat, kayak on the roof rack, back completely filled with stuff.

Coming out from Montgomery, we see a silver Mirage with no plates blasting through traffic at over 100 mph, nearly hitting people by tailgating them and cutting people off or running them out of their lanes. I point it out to my brother and we agree it's a good thing we're not up there with that guy.

Several hours later, we're a little outside Atlanta on the way to SC. In the distance, we see a silver car coming up EXTREMELY fast. I get over, see it's a silver Intrepid with no plates. My brother points out that it's the same driver. A little bit up the road, we see a GA trooper pulled him. Yay, he got his.

Maybe 20 minutes later, we're passing a truck when a silver Intrepid comes flying up on us and gets so close all I can see is the top third of his windshield and roof. Without actually hitting the brakes, I tap the pedal to flash the lights. He flicks me off. I tap again, he lifts his finger higher. Oh, there it is...sorry, couldn't see it since it wasn't close enough to the roof. The truck beside me begins to speed up as I do. I get back to cruising speed and the truck paces me. Well, I'm not going to take the PT much faster, so the Intrepid will have to learn that patience is a virtue.

Tap...tap...tap...BIG tap, back the hell off, *******. Nope, he's not moving and now he's putting his arm out the window to flick us off. Yummy. Maybe...I flip on the hazard lights and BAM!, jackass backs off at least five car lengths. I pass the truck, signal and get over. I hope this guy is done and won't be a problem but watch for a gap in the other lane.

Almost on cue, he flies by me, veers into my lane and stands on his brake. I signal and get over quickly and lay on the horn. He holds up his ugly ass middle finger, as if I hadn't seen it already. I give him a thumb's up. He rolls down his window and tries to spit on my car but didn't seem to realize what wind does to spit at 85 mph. As expected, his huge glob of snotty, spitty crap blows right back all over his face and he gets REALLY pissed. He sticks his head out the window and slowly starts coming into my lane beside me, trying to run me off the road.

Since he tried to spit on the car, I tried speeding up. Running almost 100 mph, he has his head out the window. When his head gets close enough to my fender, I lay on the horn hard and make like I'm veering at him. He cut the wheel hard right and left the road. In the rearview, big cloud of dust...dunno what happened to him.

Set cruise, signal, get back over. Cruise a while, really shaken up by the ******* that was dead-set on killing us. Recover, conclude he got what was coming to him, since all we did was try to avoid him and avoid being run off the road or forced into an accident.

That one situation was extremely frightening, especially given the car I was driving, conditions present and the fact that I hadn't had much in the way of experience really DRIVING a car. It's something I never want to experience again. And so, if someone does like that guy and tailgates me badly enough, I call the Highway Patrol. They're trained and paid to deal with people like that...I'm not.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

^^^^^^
    Longest post evar!... I mean EVAR!

I didnt even read it, but i'm sure it was good stuff
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

Around this area some drivers are just plain crazy when it comes to tailgating. I usually drive about 5 over, so it really annoys me when they come flying up behind me. I just slow down to the speed limit (maybe 3 under, just to be safe). If they don't back off shortly after that, I just hit the strobes....
    "*gasp* this car is fast" -my mom
    "wow this really pulls" -my dad
    "i want one" -a friend

Originally posted by Hipswnger2
    ^^^^^^
    Longest post evar!... I mean EVAR!

i am shure there is longer on this forum lol
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

I am starting to wonder if it's a wagon thing. I had a lady pull with in 4in off my hitch. I moved up as I had a little room. so she moves up. so she got the finger and I moved agian and she finally got the idea. I get the tailers atleast 3 times a week. I sware I am going to make something to spray them with water. I was seriously considering a sticker with calvin taking a piss. says "I hose bumper hugers". but it has not been nearly as bad latly. so gave up for the short term til it's worse.

also squirt your wiper fluid so it goes back on their windsheild

Originally posted by carkmouch
    also squirt your wiper fluid so it goes back on their windsheild
    That also works...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123