2002 Roush 3 vs STi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 Roush 3 vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Traded in my Evo today for a black 2002 Roush 3 Mustang, I just couldnt pass up the offer. So ...

2002 Roush 3 vs STi

Traded in my Evo today for a black 2002 Roush 3 Mustang, I just couldnt pass up the offer. So of course I took it out for some fun tonight. Met up with some friends I have been hanging with for awhile who race out here and they were shocked and asked where the Evo was. Told them and everyone wanted to drive the Stang since we all had imports, I said maybe later and we all went to the "summit" when night came. I got in a few runs down the strip with my timer going and I ran a 4.1 0-60 and a 12.3 1/4 mile time on my best run

I wanted to race my friend with the STi first, he has some minor mods like exhaust etc..He got a good launch and we were side by side till I hit 2nd gear. Chirp the tires and the 375 lb ft of torque pull my car and push me back and I pull close to a fulll length. Hit 3rd and I really pull, about a length and a half on him when I hit 80. Into 4th and its pretty much done, hit the 1/4 mile mark and finish about 2 lengths up.

Raced a few more friends and won, beat a 04 350Z with a single turbo, supped up Mitsu Eclipse and my friends RSX-ya, that was really ugly, I asked him afterwards if he stopped because I had like 6 lengths on him by 70 mph

Funny story on the way home too. To the untrained eye, the Roush just looks like a Mustang with a body kit and unless you see the Roush 3 on the back, you may not even know. Guy next to me in a new tricked out Toyota Celica revs at me. Why do these Celica owners thing they have some kind of bad ass racecar? I actually let him get a jump on me and take a good length on me, I caught him and pulled a length on him in about 2 seconds and let off so he was beside me, light up ahead turns red. When it goes green, I let him have it and when I let up at about 60, I probably could have taken my foot completley off the gas and he still would have needed about 5-6 seconds to catch up with me, it was pretty damn funny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you traded your evo 8 for a roush? can i ask how much was the difference? i heard stang are all sohc (can't do much to an sohc). But i like the way they look though....
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

Originally posted by WiCkeDrEx
    you traded your evo 8 for a roush? can i ask how much was the difference? i heard stang are all sohc (can't do much to an sohc). But i like the way they look though....
    360 hp and 375 lb ft of torque...what more would you want to do to it? There is an upgrade from Roush that brings it up to 379 hp and 380 torque for under $1K I might consider but believe me, its plenty fast enough as is. Here are the terms of the deal that I posted in the off topic section: He agreed to pay off my $16K that I owe on the Evo, drop the price of the Stang to $35K and then give me $8K as trade in for the Evo towards the Stang dropping it to $27K. I got a 6 year deal at $4500 a year meaning my payments are going to be about $370 a month. That sure sounded alot better then my over $600 a month payments for the Evo.

Sweet

Congrat on the Roush Bro. My Cousin also has a Roush 3, and that baby is Bad. Just don't floor when you do a U turn cuz boy the end likes to wiggle, I learned the scary way
    Stg. 0
    -380hp & 437lbs-
    No NOS

35k for Roush? Used? So even your 8k made in 27k.....for a used 02? Why not a cobra?
    02 PSM WRX Cobb Stage 2.5 - SOLD
    05 Stone White SRT4 (CC, 58% Maddog, Gutted DP) SOLD
    2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD - SOLD
    04 BMW 325i
    08 Spark Silver STI - Stage 2 Protuned

Originally posted by skyjock41
    35k for Roush? Used? So even your 8k made in 27k.....for a used 02? Why not a cobra?
    It was not used, its been sitting on their lot collecting dust because they hide it from kids wanting to drive it. They also had an absurd $48K sticker price because they only make about 100 of them a year. The Roush is much more rare and more of a collectors item and second, its quicker then the Cobra. Cobra will do 0-60 in 4.6 and the quarter in 12.9, the Roush does it in 4.3 and 12.7 I even got a 4.1 and 12.4 on my best run last night.

sht
    cough(03 cobra)cough
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

How can you run faster in the roush than the cobra? When the cobra has more power.

Is it the suspension? I thought the roushes came with good suspension.

Not trying to be rude, I'm just a little lost. I'd like to know, so I know what to keep an eye on. lol.

Originally posted by racinready300ex
    How can you run faster in the roush than the cobra? When the cobra has more power.

Is it the suspension? I thought the roushes came with good suspension.

Not trying to be rude, I'm just a little lost. I'd like to know, so I know what to keep an eye on. lol.
    Well how can an STi or an Evo keep up with a Cobra with 100 less hp? The Roush only has 30 less. If you know anything about racing, you should know more hp doesnt always make a quicker car. Jack Roush is a top racing engineer and apparently he knows how to build one damn quick car. The suspension is VERY tight, the best I have ever felt on an American built car, it handles extremley well. Here are some 0-60 and quarter mile times of almost every car from a Ford club that keeps them updated. I have a 2002 so it is a hair quicker then the 2001, the 02 shaves about .2 seconds off the 1/4 mile so you are looking at about a 12.7

2003 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT 4.5 12.9
    2001 Ford Mustang Roush Stage 3 4.3 12.9

performance times
    Last edited by EVOVIII; 07-12-2004 at 11:28 AM.

The Roush is lighter than the Cobra by 200 LBS or more and has 360 plus RWHP. Congrads on your car, I have a buddy with the S 281 S/C Seleen, and he also ran a 12.3 112 MPH.

Originally posted by Drod
    The Roush is lighter than the Cobra by 200 LBS or more and has 360 plus RWHP. Congrads on your car, I have a buddy with the S 281 S/C Seleen, and he also ran a 12.3 112 MPH.
    Well there ya go, I think the Cobra puts down about 350-360 at the wheels and you are right, it is quite a bit heavier, thats the difference then.

Re: 2002 Roush 3 vs STi

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    Why do these Celica owners thing they have some kind of bad ass racecar?
    Because it IS a badass racecar.

If I ever revved on a Roush Mustang, it'd be because I'd want to hear and see that bad son-of-a-bitch move.
    Chris

1999 Integra LS

AIM: Aracheon

My Brothers and I's 03 Cobra put down 377 RWHP stock. But the car is heavy. I tipps the scale at an amazing 3600 LBS. The Roush is someting like 3300 LBS. Many people are getting the supercharger ported and polished on the roush and diffrent pullies and making close to 450 RWHP.

Originally posted by Drod
    My Brothers and I's 03 Cobra put down 377 RWHP stock. But the car is heavy. I tipps the scale at an amazing 3600 LBS. The Roush is someting like 3300 LBS. Many people are getting the supercharger ported and polished on the roush and diffrent pullies and making close to 450 RWHP.
    Really? Didnt know that was possible with the Roush. I am going to have to check around and see if I can find a place that does it closeby.

Re: Re: 2002 Roush 3 vs STi

Originally posted by Aracheon
    Because it IS a badass racecar.

If I ever revved on a Roush Mustang, it'd be because I'd want to hear and see that bad son-of-a-bitch move.
    hehe like I said, aside from the "Roush 3" on the rear left side, it looks like a normal Mustang, especially at night. it doesnt even have the GT badge on the side. Maybe the poor SOB thought I had a V6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast