drag racing-long
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on drag racing-long within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got this from the BMW board. (1995 M3) I thought you guys might like to read it. So I ...

drag racing-long

I got this from the BMW board. (1995 M3) I thought you guys might like to read it.

So I beat this guy at the stoplight, my car is so fast!
    or Why Street racing is a crock to compare cars
    How many times have you heard this? I have tried for years to explain to people just why a simple thing as leaving a 1/4 second later than the next guy can make a slower car beat a faster car. Or how on a rolling go, i.e. on the freeway, flooring it first can mean you will continue to pull away unless the other car is much faster. Someone finally posted to the BMW M Coupe board on bimmer.org exactly what happens. Kevin Willmorth explained it better than I have been able to and I asked his permission to post it. Below is his post (which he and I edited to create a more accurate and generic illustration):

Anyone who drag races regularly knows that between two roughly equal cars, reaction time is king. Not top end speed, nor statistical B.S. datasheets. Reaction times are what will win a race, more often than equipment superiority, unless... the two drivers happen to get away at the same instant, which is highly unlikely in a street race.

Here's how it works:
    You are at the light, and car "R" lines up on you. It's a dweebs toy, and you decide to go for it. Light turns green and you put the hammer down. But, man! he's off the blocks and pulling away already! You keep the hammer down, but just can't catch him. By the time you back off at 100mph, he's like 2 car lengths away. Must have been a more powerful car!

Not necessarily.

If at the launch they get 1/4 second on you, they are accelerating 1/4 second before you from that moment forth (you cannot get the 1/4 second back, it's gone forever). That's a whopping 22 feet at 60mph, assuming exactly equal cars and drivers. (BIG assumption, esp. in street racing).

Let's look at this from the start: From the starting line... 1/4 second is a distance of 2.2 feet at 6mph (a door length), then 9 feet at 25mph (half a car length), then 16+ feet at 45mph (full car length), 22 feet at 60mph (he's pulling away!!!), then at 100mph, they got you by a total of 37 feet, or nearly 2 car lengths (you got whacked!) And that's with an exactly equal car, identical shifting at exactly the same RPM's!

But wait you say! 1/4 second difference, that's a lot! Yes, it is for a pro drag racer, who operates under a .400 pro tree, or even a bracket racer running on a .500 second tree. But for a street racer, pulling on a street light? .250 is a close pairing! Heck .500 would be a great start. You aren't really sure when to go, no yellow staging lights... It won't seem like much time, and you might even figure, "OK, I missed the launch a tiny bit, but that's not important, I'll get him!"... you would be wrong of course, very wrong...

Here's an interesting factoid. Reaction times are NOT equal in cars with identical 0-60 or 1/4 mile times! Heavy cars are generally slower reacting than lighter cars. Some suspension designs react faster than others. Short wheelbases react more quickly than long. Soft suspensions take longer to move the car forward after throttle is hammered down. Stiff cars jump more readily. Heavy wheels take more power to accelerate, (time to rethink those 20" rims!) Remember that 1/4 second reaction time is a culmination of YOUR reaction to the light PLUS the cars reaction to your giving it the boot!

Just because the car you line up on has an inferior 0-60 time, does not mean you will beat it. It depends on the cars design, mass location, and a pile of other factors. It also depends on whether you get him off the line, or he gets you.

Line up on a fast reacting driver, piloting his lighter car, and he can take you out, even if you are the faster car!

For example, let's just say that in his "slower" car (car A) he gets you by that 1/4 second at the start. You take off in car B with your 1/4 second faster 0-60. Both cars will hit 60 at the same time, but you will still be behind car A! Up to this point, car A was only pulling away. From 60 mph on, you should be accelerating faster. Since you now have an equal,(soon to be faster) speed, the gap will finally stop increasing. Once both cars have an equal speed, the faster accelerating car, (B - this is you, remember?), will start to close that gap. So when will you finally pull even? Likely around 70-75 mph, depends on the car. So you see, that small start difference makes a huge difference in the outcome. How many street races do you know that go over 75? (I know they happen, but by them most are just racing in traffic and being stupid, not racing each other by that time). What if you started 1/2 second later? 1 second later? Count out one thousand one to yourself. See just how little a difference that can be. How many times can you think of where you hit the gas 1/2 second after the other guy? The average reaction time for most people is 1/2 second. So if you wait until you see him move, that is 1/2 second before you even hit the gas! And that assumes that your car reacts as quickly as theirs!

The shorter a race is, the more critical the launch becomes. Since street races have neither a fixed set of starting lights, or a fixed distance, the outcome has less to do with the capability of the cars, than it does the arbitrary start and undefined length of the race itself. Get a head start on the opponent and cut the race short if you know you are slower. If you start late, just stretch the race to the longest possible distance and highest top speed! (We are assuming you are the "faster" car -oh and we will not be responsible for your speeding!)

Because of these factors, street races are total crap as a judge of anything, other than who got off the line first, who's car might react the best to sudden off-line acceleration, and how long two idiots are willing to keep it up in the midst of traffic and road obstacles. Just be the quickest to leave, or stretch the race out longer, and you'll win more races, as long as the cars are anywhere near close in performance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

We appreciate your contribution, however, this was already posted on this forum some time ago.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Sorry about that

I'm new to the board.

I read that whole article and agree 100%. Still great to see a well thought out dissertation on "comparing" cars by drag racing...

I haven't been a member long enough to have seen this and I would never have thought of searching for it. Thanks play-amg!

Mahalo,
    Richard...

Re: drag racing-long

Well, he's got some good points but his calculations are awful.

Originally posted by play_amg

If at the launch they get 1/4 second on you, they are accelerating 1/4 second before you from that moment forth (you cannot get the 1/4 second back, it's gone forever). That's a whopping 22 feet at 60mph, assuming exactly equal cars and drivers. (BIG assumption, esp. in street racing).
    His calculations comes from when the car is TRAVELING CONSTANTLY at 60mph in the beginnging of the race.

From standing still, it takes a lot more time than 1/4 sec to travel 22 ft.

He's saying the other car will cover 22 ft reaching 60 mph in 1/4 sec. Now that's kind of car I want to get a ride in.
    0 to 60 in 0.25 sec!

Doug

C'mon Doug-e: We all know you're one of the most respected drag-racers around. Give him a brek. (Even though you're completely right!) lol

Originally posted by Julio
    C'mon Doug-e: We all know you're one of the most respected drag-racers around. Give him a brek. (Even though you're completely right!) lol
    Will you guys pleeeeaase stop confusing me with dug-e-fresh?
    And no, I'll not change my nick because I've used this nick oneline for a very long time.
    By the way, I am a very bad driver, total opposite of dug-e-fresh so at least we are different in SOME way

Doug

Yeah this guy is right. Its also why I make so much money on the side around here. People on the street don't think about it like that either.

There's nothing wrong with the calc's in the original post. He's saying that at 60mph it takes 1/4sec to go 22 ft. That means that if two IDENTICAL cars are racing and one of them gets a 1/4sec faster reaction time, there will be 22ft between them by the time they reach 60mph.

Pete

Yea, but it's linear. 22 feet assumes your allready going 60 mph and the comment is that you will be ahead by 22 feet at 60 mph which is not correct. First you'll be goin 1 mph, then 2 mph, then 3 mph, etc..

Carlo

Sounds to me like someone was driving an inferior car to the WRX (so basically anything with 4 wheels) and was trying to make up for it with a long, technical sounding excuse as to why he lost. Face it buddy, you lost because the WRX has more torque than you and AWD! Ah, the beauty of torque and AWD, can anything beat it? Well, obviously not or we would have heard about it by now!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.