Saab 9 3
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Saab 9 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whoa. It was a 90-120 run and he stuck right with me. He was alone and I had 4 people ...

Saab 9 3

Whoa. It was a 90-120 run and he stuck right with me. He was alone and I had 4 people and a trunkful of stuff, but I didn't expect that. After cruising at 120 for a while, I let him go by because I don't like going that fast for long periods of time. He lost a little in the corners, but not much. Impressive. Couldn't tell if it was a Viggen or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

<------- is about to go TurboXS Stage 2.5 so he doesn't have to play with Saabs anymore.

120mph with 4 people in your car? That would have made a heck of a mess...
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

120mph was on the straightaway, and yes it would have been a mess.

It would also be a mess if an elevator full of people came crashing down from the 10th floor of a building. BTW, I know this road very well.

Originally posted by wrxinthehouse
    120mph was on the straightaway, and yes it would have been a mess.

It would also be a mess if an elevator full of people came crashing down from the 10th floor of a building. BTW, I know this road very well.
    \

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Viggen (sp?) isn't the quickest Saab out there...their is one that is a bit quicker. Sorry I don't have all the info, but I am pretty sure there is one that is faster...Magracing numbers of course

My old roommate just bought a 99' Viggen. Not really fast off the line, but in top speeds, it is fast. I was racing him from 80 to about 120mph. He kept going and going while I was stuck in a long 4th. I finally caught up to him at about 115. He told me he stayed in 5th gear. The only problem with him is not the car, but his attitude. He thinks he can beat Corvettes and M3's. Also his ego is so bad that he think rags on my REX. Saying that the resale value is not as high as his Viggen. I told him that limited edition cars lose their value really fast. I told him I know this b/c I owned a 00' PY Integra Type R and know what I was talking about. Plus, new our cars are almost $25K. He bought his 99' Viggen with 27k miles on it for $23,999. Brand new, the are almost 40K. Maybe I favor the WRX too much, but I am very happy with the car I driving and still leave the drivers seat with a smile after each journey.
    2002 Impreza WRX
    Plat Silv Metallic

I actually test-drove a 2000 Viggen before settling on the WRX. It was around 27,000, which is a significant drop-off in value from the 40,000+ MSRP new. The car was beautiful inside and out. Problem is, when I opened it up, the torque-steer took me by surprise. It had gobs of torque-steer! Also, the chasis really did not feel solid enough to handle the power. Later, I read in Motor Trend that the testers were also put off by this same attribute.

Recently, the SAAB people came out and said that their new line had virtually eliminated the torque-steer, therefore admitting that this was a drawback to their previous car's handling. Before, they would simply brush it off as being a trait of the SAAB badge!

The bottom point, as my girlfriend put it during the test drive, is that it doesn't have AWD. She was right. The next day I went out and bought my WRX!

The Saabs do well in the snow, but I love my AWD. I was just impressed that he stayed with me. I wouldn't trade him for 10K and his Saab. I REALLY love my car.

i had a great ride in one of those '02 93 turbos. great little car, lots of juice, nice in the twisties.

dR

Originally posted by Gabe
    Problem is, when I opened it up, the torque-steer took me by surprise. It had gobs of torque-steer! Also, the chasis really did not feel solid enough to handle the power. Later, I read in Motor Trend that the testers were also put off by this same attribute.
    Blech...FWD. Trying to push more than 200hp through a FWD is not really a happy medium. Lots of suspension tuning tricks...but when putting down 200+ hp to the front wheels takes 80-100% of my total traction...what happens if I have to steer?
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by DevDog8542
    I told him I know this b/c I owned a 00' PY Integra Type R and know what I was talking about. Plus, new our cars are almost $25K. He bought his 99' Viggen with 27k miles on it for $23,999. Brand new, the are almost 40K. Maybe I favor the WRX too much, but I am very happy with the car I driving and still leave the drivers seat with a smile after each journey.
    Probably because your last car was an ITR, one of the most useless cars of all times (next to the SI and the RSX). I mean come on, 132lb-ft of torque? Don't base Neons have more power than that?
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Originally posted by Gabe
    The bottom point, as my girlfriend put it during the test drive, is that it doesn't have AWD. She was right. The next day I went out and bought my WRX!
    Having AWD makes up for anything the Viggen has! Those cars suck. Of course, I have no idea what you are talking about when you mention torque steer. I mean, look at the car I drive! HAHAHA!!
    2002 RSX Type S

Originally posted by madwagon

Blech...FWD. Trying to push more than 200hp through a FWD is not really a happy medium. Lots of suspension tuning tricks...but when putting down 200+ hp to the front wheels takes 80-100% of my total traction...what happens if I have to steer?
    Preach on brotha'!
    2002 RSX Type S

I didn't buy an ITR for just flat out speed. At the time, it was the best handling front wheel drive cars in the world. Or at least the best you could buy in the US. There were many aftermarket parts that you can buy to make it go faster, but the whole picture was how amazing it was to drive right out of the factory. Look at how many championships the ITR won during the Speedvision races. So it lacks torque, but it was able to keep up if not be better than the WRX during the comparision tests.
    2002 Impreza WRX
    Plat Silv Metallic

Originally posted by DevDog8542
    I didn't buy an ITR for just flat out speed. At the time, it was the best handling front wheel drive cars in the world. Or at least the best you could buy in the US. There were many aftermarket parts that you can buy to make it go faster, but the whole picture was how amazing it was to drive right out of the factory. Look at how many championships the ITR won during the Speedvision races. So it lacks torque, but it was able to keep up if not be better than the WRX during the comparision tests.
    Take that back right now!! The ITR could not keep up with the WRX under ANY circumstances, no matter how windy the road, no matter how tight the autoX, no matter how steep the cliff.

Oh, and I love the mantra of ITR owners:
    the best handling FWD car

So, considering that FWD is the WORST possible layout for ANY type of driving, what you are saying is that the ITR didn't stink quite as much as the other really crappy handling cars out there? Cool!

ITR: No accessories
    WRX: Full on luxury

ITR: Best handling FWD car
    WRX: Best handling AWD car

ITR: Can finish a 1/4 mile!!
    WRX: well, I'm not sure if I need to go on.

Seriously though, if you can name ONE thing that the ITR does better than the WRX... um... I'll refute it, because it simply could not be!
    2002 RSX Type S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.