WRX vs. my mind....WRX doubts - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. my mind....WRX doubts within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by gryphon It's not that is has no top end power, but several things combine together to make ...

Originally posted by gryphon
    It's not that is has no top end power, but several things combine together to make it... less powerful up top:

1) small turbo - runs out of breath after 6500rpm
    2) no VVTi/VTEC/AVCS - STi heads and ecu would help
    3) long 4th gear

There are solutions, but it's got just a great punch off the line that the top-end looks horrible in comparison. It's really not that bad. MBC and an uppipe and your top end will be just fine
    The turbo is small, but with a few mods has excellent torque, it helps get the jump on cars, and by time they start making more HP and catching up the race is over.

Having no variable cam timing gives the WRX less flexability, but I think it's tuned for the top end. We suffer a little down low, but corrected by driving style, but can breath well (once the engine is broken in) up top. Overall power is about the same.

A long 4th gear is awesome, you take third up to 7000+, and you are landed in the sweet spot for 4th, which takes us very quickly up to 120. Now 5th on the other hand is the WRX weakness...if you're hanging with us till then, you're probably gonna pull when we go to 5th. At least at stock to moderate HP levels. 5th is way underdriven and just plain sucks, cuz the engine isnt powerful enough (at stock levels) to push it along.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The WRX is a great car for Florida, especially now in the summer when it rains just about every day. AWD is great for wet conditions.

alright guys, you have fully convinced me to go with the WRX. i more scared then anyting now..thanks! and the hole part talking about matching rev's and downshifting sorta threw me off. I can drive stick but im not a pro. can someone plz expalin downshifting, matching rev's ideal launch for WRX. or any other tips for driving a manual REX cuz i plan on getting one in manual.
    and for modifacations i plan on doing TSX stage kits, and as pace said the new turbo in the TSX kit should help out the high end power and i should be able to dominate...thank you. and if there is anyting anybody would like to warn me about then PLZ tell me..
    ---------------nighthawk black RSX---------------
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)
    alpine CD player (COM 7874)
    ------------------------------------------
    are there any Stage kits for the RSX?? PM me if u know of any..
    -------------------------------------------------------
    VEHICAL OF CHOICE--->SUBARU!(WRX)

AWD cars are extremely easy to corner at insane speeds in my mind. The WRX has a slight amount of understeer upon entry to the corner. Come down hard on the right pedal and this will shift towards very slight oversteer. Basically, in my WRX I can approach a 90 degree corner at a pace that I would not dare in any RWD or FWD car, turn the wheel abruptly and tramp the gas and the car will four wheel drift through the turn in a perfectly neutral fashion. There is a corner near my house where I would practice this everyday. I ended up killing the stock RE-92s inside 6000 miles.

You just have to be a little careful with abruptly lifting off the gas when you are mid drift or when the car is experiencing understeer upon entry. Some people have had a nasty surprise in doing so.

-Pace

Originally posted by fengshui
    When all the other fast cars are garaged for the cold season cause they 360 themselves into brick walls, youll be riding high over snow, rain, wet leaves, etc... Remember this is a turbocharged all-wheel-drive 4 door sedan with plenty of trunk space to boot that comes STANDARD. heh

The only thing I'd sell my new puppy for right now is a US STi when and if it hits american shores.

-c
    read this

http://www.autoweb.com.au/A_1463/newcartest.html

i was sad when I read it but sometimes i wonder where motoring journalists get their crack from anyway.

You want a quick, cheap car? Here you go. Get a Datsun 1200 ute, toss in a SR20DET, hook up some well geared box, toss on some drag radials, and you'll do 12 second 1/4 miles easily. Also, I'd put on some big ol' Brembos. All for less than $15K.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Or you could do what one of the mechanics at Garage SPL did...$4000 for a used Eagle Talon AWD Turbo, plus another $4000 worth of turbo upgrades. Granted, it's not the most reliable car, but he'll boost 20 psi and run high 11s to low 12s all day long.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

i already know about the Talon and silvia engine (srdet20, i think thats the engine code) and all other tricks like that but i have to buy a new car, my grandpa is paying for it and he will only let me get a new car or eles id get a diffrent car. but for new cars and my price range i think ill go with the rex...
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)

If I had a WRX when I was 16 and cared as much about street racing as you Jester, I'd be dead right now. I'm 22 and I still worry about keeping myself under control.

Don't do it to yourself son.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

jdm
    i hope you dont do anything stupid and total your WRX...i would think your grandpa would be quite mad at you!

i too am 16...and would like to get a WRX, but i think i will have to wait a year or two. im fine with that i have my brothers car to use for awhile and gives me a chance to master driving stick. i just have trouble with hills and downshifting...

also, i dont think you shoudl worry too much about beating EVERY car on the road, it will NEVER happen! there will always just be something out there that is that much faster than you. i saw a clip of an EG beating a viper!! i love EGs to death and wouldnt mind modding that up cause i know it will be light and can easily be modded to beat a viper! hehe, but hondas arent the safest and also dont have the lowest insurance. so id rather get a car that is already fast and i dont have to worry about modding too fast...eventually i would mod after i get some money.

just remember speed and hp is not everything! as others have said the WRX has great handling! and i think the WRX is just an overall good car with enough power and good handling!

to sum it up...id say gettin teh WRX is a good choice, if you can handle the insurance at 16 y.o. old....some other great cars that i also looked into and like very much are the Celica GTS and RSX-S(mmmm...those niiiiiice seats )

and also as others have said...you want a pure monster full of power...get a supra or a FC or FD! i love all those japanese beauties!

Originally posted by wombat

read this

http://www.autoweb.com.au/A_1463/newcartest.html

i was sad when I read it but sometimes i wonder where motoring journalists get their crack from anyway.
    Heh no wonder this guy gave it a bad review, looks like their STi was tuned down to increase longevity. Thats ok, those aussie journalists should buy a new forrester or outback, and drive their kids to football practice, pickup the groceries, and bring the laundry to the cleaners. Stinks that they have STis and they are tuned down, but they should realize internationally that this car really hauls.

Besides, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if its wrong!

-C
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Even if its tuned down its only in the top end.
    The article never SAID there was any problem in the top end power, despite a lower high end boost and redline than the JDM spec. Blame it on poor fuel but in your country the US you have the same problem. No 100-105 Octane fuel. Here in Australia we only have 98.

The only problem if you read the article again with the STi is its lack of bottom end power.... but too good a top end.

The problem is commonly known as turbo-lag!!
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

you guys are pushing out mixed signals. I cant get a supra, RX-7, 300z, or any other monster car like that, if i could i would the 93 MK IV Supra is one of my favriote cars. Just real quick can someones tell me wich car is right for me. it has to be some what new withing the past 2-3 yrs. or brand new.
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)

We can't decide for you. Only you can decide for yourself. We can only give you ideas.

But just for the record...
    I'll stick with my WRX. I think it's a great car and is perfect for me. It may not be perfect for you.

alright let me tell you a quick story, i had a nice long paragraph type out and i was about to press submit and my FREAKING POWER GOES OUT right was my mouse was above the submit button, man im pissed..this is somthing like i wrote.

why is the WRX a perfect car for you, maybe after hearing that i can decided if the WRX is a perfect car for me. my intensions for the WRX is to go to the Hot spot in my city and just pop my hood and chill with some modded up cars and dot a little streetracing all for fun. as for mods go this is my schueduel. for the first 2 months just use it as a daily driver and practice shifting getting used to the car, matching rev's, downshifting, double clutching,etc...and after that maybe "race" some rice and get the feel of streetracing. and i feel i need to mod my car up a bit more ill start with like a stage 2 TSX or maybe stage 1 kit of some sort. and move up from there untill i am satisfied. and just have some fun on the road. and im not a newbie when it comes to cars i worked for subaru in mechnics division, scary eh, and i was only 15 then. so im not a total idiot when it comes to car i just care so much about cars i dont wanna buy the wrong for me.also i plan on gettina body kit, C-west, Westwing(they look identical but i like C-west better but its WAY more expensive) and if u have any ideas on body kits please tell me. well now that you see my intesions suggest a car for me. the car either has to be new or 2-3 yrs old. and i have around a 25k price limit. thank you for all yor advice.
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.