WRX vs. my mind....WRX doubts - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. my mind....WRX doubts within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by jester Anyways, I dont own the WRX yet. I have 2 weeks to decied if i want ...

Originally posted by jester
    Anyways, I dont own the WRX yet. I have 2 weeks to decied if i want one. Im leaning towards yes, but now all the sudden im getting some NO's in my mind...I've never really street raced my self because i dont have a car. So i really dont know how fast the other cars our there are besdies times and watching other races....

Well lets say i get a WRX, and I break it in. Lets say i wanna go to a street racing scene.
    Whoa Nelly! You don't own a car now, and you're curious about street racing (FATF a few times?), and now wanna go.

Based on your posts it sounds like you need more experience in something that might not kill you as quickly. AWD can be VERY dangerous with a newbie driver or one that has not got the miles under his/her belt. AWD will stick like you wouldnt believe to the road, but what happens when you reach the edge at 100MPH and get snap oversteer from a large bump (don't say drifting...)? How to correct for that? How about understeering into a long sweeper at 130MPH? and when you correct you tap the brakes and get lift throttle oversteer? Just things to think about. The WRX is pretty damn fast (I come from M cars, Audi S4, and others). It will never keep up on those long flat roads in FL with a heavily modded Supra or RX7, nor any other top end car like a Porsche TT.

I do hope you've got half a bean in your head to take it easy. The WRX is plenty capable of giving you major pucker factor without worrying about guys that dump 10s of thousands of dollars (Supras, etc) into their rides.

Get the WRX and take it easy, it IS a safe car. If you learn the stock vehicle it's much faster than you think on the street. THEN mod it.

Anyways, if you happen to be the next Mario A. then help a brother out and learn me something.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you are 16 years old, you need to consider insurance costs!

The WRX is a 2.0L sedan. While the turbo increases insurance a little, I think you'll be surprised by how little it costs to insure!

-Jim

Florida may have long and flat roads but they are also riddled with traffic. Very rarely do I get a chance to open mine up.

Jester: Where are all these fast cars that want to race you? I have never run into any and I live near you.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

scooby, these cars are at my HS..whs, its off bruce b. downs..this chick has a supra..and her dads races like mad he has a trans am with corvette eingine and double shot of 100 nos and a bunch of other mods..the civic is owned by my friend. and civic and **** that are S-charged and some sprayin..the gotta turbo Rabbit GTI its really goofy but respectable..i havent been in town for awhile cuz of vaccation(2months of it) but ill talk to my friends and tell you where some hot spots are if u wanna go out and challange a bunch of people just for fun, its all pretty friendly and nice ass cars..somewhere out like in gandy bridge i really cant rember.

and as of insureing i dont have to worry about. and my grandma owns and Subaru legacy and i drove it from tampa to Maimi...if n e body knows how long of a drive that is, ITS LONG. but i cant say i have much AWD experice at hight performacne speeds...and i worked for subaru in Montreal for a week. i have the subes mechanic uniform.hehe. but if you guys think the WRX isnt for me im all open to your ideas and opinions. how diffrent is AWD when you misjudge a turn and stuff, is it really that diffrent?? im open to all suggestion for what car i should check out. i steal my moms car at night all the time and ive raced my friends maxima(stick) and my Gf civc (stick)

so if u have ne suggestions..im all for performance, and i also like to have a car that looks nice..
    ---------------nighthawk black RSX---------------
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)
    alpine CD player (COM 7874)
    ------------------------------------------
    are there any Stage kits for the RSX?? PM me if u know of any..
    -------------------------------------------------------
    VEHICAL OF CHOICE--->SUBARU!(WRX)

jester,

Man, people on this board have some serious capital to burn! 16 yrs. old and you have 25 grand at your disposal? Right on, hope you use it wisely.

I just want to say this: I own a RSX-S and I have mad respect for the WRX. Stock for stock, IMO, you're not going to find a better performer for the money (notice I said "In my opinion!") Stock for stock, if you were to pull up to someone at a stoplight and you want to race, there's not too much out there that can take you. Sure, you'll get beat by a 'Vette, a Z28 and some Porsche's and other exotic cars, but you'll beat 99% of the **** out there...

That is, of course, unless you can't drive manny (or maybe you're getting an auto)...anyway, 0-60 in 5.4 and a 1/4 mile in 14.1 is pretty fukin' fast for a stock car. And its easy and cheap to modify from what I understand. BTW, if you have $25grand you're not going to get the top of the line wheels and some other options, which can bring you into the $30s so you might want to think about that.

But hey, so many people underestimate the WRX when they see it...doens't look like a rocket but it is...and its a dream in the twisties (rally car inspired)... can't go wrong with this car. But be careful - if this is your first car and your first experience w/ power, then you'd better get some time behind the wheel before you do anything crazy. I think most people on this board would agree that just like anything else, this stuff takes a lot of practice and its not just your life, its everyone else's out there on the road.

smokey,

i respect what you said. but i still got one problem the WRX cant win from a roll from what ive been told...if i mod up do u think id be able to take it from a roll? and yes i will be carefull. i can drive manual. is AWD really that diffrent i worked for surbaru in mechanics for awhile and ive driving my grandmas legacy b4..but you guys make it sounds sooo diffrent form FWD\RWD. i think i will have to go with the WRX on after what you said, im open to all advice thou..but im still iffy cuz of the whole thing that the WRX has no top in power. but chances are 95% ill get a WRX. and over time (2months?) i should be able to under the AWD steering on the REX.
    ---------------nighthawk black RSX---------------
    2x12's JL W0's
    kenwood amp (450watts)
    alpine CD player (COM 7874)
    ------------------------------------------
    are there any Stage kits for the RSX?? PM me if u know of any..
    -------------------------------------------------------
    VEHICAL OF CHOICE--->SUBARU!(WRX)

smokey,

i respect what you said. but i still got one problem the WRX cant win from a roll from what ive been told...if i mod up do u think id be able to take it from a roll? and yes i will be carefull. i can drive manual. is AWD really that diffrent i worked for surbaru in mechanics for awhile and ive driving my grandmas legacy b4..but you guys make it sounds sooo diffrent form FWD\RWD. i think i will have to go with the WRX on after what you said, im open to all advice thou..but im still iffy cuz of the whole thing that the WRX has no top in power. but chances are 95% ill get a WRX. and over time (2months?) i should be able to under the AWD steering on the REX.
    Guys that actually own the car could probably give you better respones...I'm just talking from an outsiders perspective. I think the AWD probably isn't that difficult - in fact, I'd imagine that its easier to deal with. I know Subaru is like the **** in rally car races so I imagine they've directed that at the WRX and it probably handles like a dream.

If you modded your car up like some guys around here have, you'll be able to shoot down Vettes and other cars like that. I assume that's a bit of money, but I think its more affordable than Honda for example. No chips for Honda = lots of money to modify.

Like i said, the WRX seems to be a complete package - you can be happy with it w/out mods or you can be increadibly happy with mods...even if you don't have them, you can still kick the crap out of most cars out there and most don't even know what they're going up against so you have the advantage. I'm not sure abou their top end - that's the only "complaint" that I've heard thus far buy you have to take it into perspective - if they're comparing against a 'Vette or Porsche, well of course your top end is weak!

It's not that is has no top end power, but several things combine together to make it... less powerful up top:

1) small turbo - runs out of breath after 6500rpm
    2) no VVTi/VTEC/AVCS - STi heads and ecu would help
    3) long 4th gear

There are solutions, but it's got just a great punch off the line that the top-end looks horrible in comparison. It's really not that bad. MBC and an uppipe and your top end will be just fine
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

Pug
    If your main goal is straight line acceleration stock, have you looked at the Nissan 350Z? It's not far from your $25k range, and will certainly let you show off. But as a 16 year old driver's 1st car with 287hp...it might be hard to drive after losing an arm and a leg to insure.

If all you want to do is go faster in a straight line, get a Z-28 or a Trans Am and call it a day. I don't understand what all this debate is about. There is always going to be a faster car. You can't own the fastest thing on the planet. What do you want to use the car for? How long do you plan to keep it? Are you going to modify it or leave it stock?

It all comes down to a very simple question: Do you want a WRX or not?

If not, pick something else. If yes, then get one and be happy with it.

-Jim

I really can't complain about my car's top end. I haven't really run into any "races" on the freeway where I don't already KNOW I'm the faster car. Most times where I use the top end power are for passing people on 2 lane highways. In 5th gear its not quick, 4th is pretty decent once boost builds, and 3rd is insane to redline(~90mph). Our car isn't built for straight line speed, but it does pretty well at it. I definitely don't think there are many cars(other than Vettes, SS'es, Cobras, etc) that can beat it to 0-80 or so with a MBC and uppipe. That said, I haven't really raced anybody straight up at higher speeds.

I actually bought my WRX without even test driving it. I spent hours researching it so I knew ahead of time that it was the right choice. And like Jim, not once have I regretted my decision.

Why don't you look for a used RX-7 or Supra or else stick with the new Z28 that someone mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 07-29-2002 at 12:28 PM.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

If you want 'top-end', just slap on a bigger turbo and appropriate supporting mods. My car has nothing special down below, but once you hit 3rd gear it's quite a ride. The effect of the VF30 upon 4th gear accleration is simply jaw dropping.

If you need even more, go bigger with a VF22 or a PE series. There are a myriad of options for tuning your WRX to a powerband that suits your needs exactly. It doesn't have to be a 0 to 60 light-to-light sprinter.

-Pace

i have much AWD experice at hight performacne speeds...and i worked for subaru in Montreal for a week. i have the subes mechanic uniform.hehe. but if you guys think the WRX isnt for me im all open to your ideas and opinions. how diffrent is AWD when you misjudge a turn and stuff, is it really that diffrent?? im open to all suggestion for what car i should check out. i steal my moms car at night all the time and ive raced my friends maxima(stick) and my Gf civc (stick)

You sound like you're pretty cool and mature.

From my experience having driven FWD/RWD/AWD cars; FWD is very capable, and with the right mods can keep up fine with RWD cars. You have to be able to use understeer (car pushes to the outside of the turn), sometimes right foot braking, and depending on your suspension setup somewhat abrupt throttle use to get weight transfer. It's IMO a mushy, boring feeling, not too sporting, just gets the job done. RWD feels awesome, you no longer have the front wheels doing anything but steering and your drive wheels cannot be moved so their output becomes very predictable. You learn to be a smoother (faster) driver as you start going to more and more powerful RWD cars, it can be very easy to turn the end around if your foolish and don't respect the vehicle. They are an absolute blast to drive though, even something as "slow" as an old 1.6 Miata. AWD to me is more FWD. Slow in, fast out. I still have good throttle weight transfer control. Powering out of a corner is more fun than RWD. Grip is the word for AWD, it's very solid. Absolute adhesion it is not (this is what gets newbies killed), AWD will not corner with any more Gs than RWD. You're advantage is being able to work with your amount of grip at all times, on all types of roads, and in all weather(almost), it becomes very predictable like RWD, but different. I feel that dealing with a turbo's far less linear power delivery over NA is compensated for with AWD. When boost comes on (depending on your setup) you really don't want to upset yourself in the apex of the turn, AWD will give you more headroom when this happens. AWD is heavy though, and you'll feel it when trying to launch at anything but racing rpms. It understeers, which can be changed with suspension. You have to be careful with the transmission. AWD will teach you to become a VERY smooth shifter, if you don't learn how to match revs every time you downshift you're going to put the tranny through some jolts. It doesnt feel good. Nothing matches laying some scratch in 2nd and third gear with a RWD car, you can't do it in AWD unless you're at insane HP levels and you've got a good tranny (GTR). The 1/2 shift has to be done with care, but you'll get such a good launch that it won't matter to ginger the next gear in. Launching an AWD beats EVERYTHING in feeling, hands down. I can already snap necks to the headrest on a fairly stock car, it's comedy to watch the passenger do a Turkey Jerk. You're just gone, plain and simple. Unless you go up against a VERY strong car you're going to win the street race every time because you get the jump. Just learn how to launch, it's much harder to do than in a RWD, almost like (high power) FWD launches. Get the WRX
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

smokey,

I think the problem with these people on a roll on is the wrong gear. Rev that puppy up to 7000+ ! It's one of the smoothest engines you're going to use this side of a BWM Inline 6, or Porsche flat 6. Put in good, fully synthetic oil in the engine, diffs, and tranny and you're good to go. I've found that AWD doesnt lose out much in tranny loss vs. RWD in highway type speeds. Turbos are awesome at roll on speeds, keep your revs high, and stay in boost. If you shift to keep your revs in 4K plus range you're fine. My old S4 was a torque monster and downshifting didnt matter as much. The WRX is not such a monster.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast