Anyone ran against S2000 on a highway? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anyone ran against S2000 on a highway? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yeah, I thought so, but why isn't his stuff in quotes? It was confusing. -Jim...

Yeah, I thought so, but why isn't his stuff in quotes? It was confusing.

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wasn't quoting, was imitating.

Now I see, you were making fun of him and his grammar. I give you my apologies cobra117.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

I raced once about 1 month ago on the highway they day after I installed the Injen Intake and Unichip Stage1, everything else stock, and we rolled from 3rd. I pulled him on 3rd, then we were even up to the point we both gave up. He said "Damn, I thought those WRXs were slow after 3rd.... You were there with me up to 150mph!"

Now with Stage2, many S2000s don't stand a chance. But beware there are many turboed, heavy motor mods and NOS out there. I really like that car, But now Im the proud dad of two adorable babies, I needed something secure, and that fills my thirst of speed. I LOVE my WRX.

Can't wait for Stage 4 with a VF34.

My take

I have a 95 M3 that is mostly stock (some minor intake mod.) My friend has a 2001 S2000. I can beat him every time in a street race. I get him off the line where my car has more torque. He has to drop the clutch from crazy high RPMS just to keep up. Even though you guys don't have alot of toruqe in stock trim, I would think that the AWD would make up for it. I would say it would be a close race. I wonder why I see post on this board saying they killed M3 but, can't beat S2000? That doesn't make sence to me. A WRX has a better chance of beating a S2000 then a M3. That's just my opinion

Stock for Stock straight up race. WRX beats the S2k as you can very well see in the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrxvss2k.jpg  
    JDM STi Uppipe
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Lead Foot

Favorite Passenger Comment: I feel like we're about to go lightspeed!

I raced a yellow one here in SD on I15 one night. I was set up like I am now, totally stock except for a stealth boost gauge and my profec-b. It was from 60-120 squirting in and out of traffic. I could keep up just fine and, I can't quite remember, he did pull a little, but not by much. This was a top end race, right in the S2000's sweet spot. Most people think the WRX runs out of breath at the high end, it doesnt. At 15 psi there's a small flat spot at 5k, picks up again at 5.5k and will pull cleanly to 7200rpm, where I shift (if people check out various dyno graphs you'll see a very small rise in power at around 7k rpm). I would sit in 3rd gear at 80-90 and wait for him to take off, I could match every bit of his initial accel. That's one of the tricks to working the stock ECU, it wants to be raced. Shift at redline, flicking the throttle higher for clutch fanning (one of the reasons to stay with a stock, heavy clutch when road racing...fanning). Keep yourself out of closed loop, staying for 5-15 seconds at 5K + rpms, holding points here and there. The ECU will learn pretty quick that way. Use 3rd gear at 60-90mph. If you start to cruise around again at steady state, and using only part throttle, you'll feel the ECU hesitate and start reeling back timing as it dets on the leaner maps. I usually do this for about an hour before I go racing, make sure you've got plenty of room because you'll see 80-120 pretty often, just be safe.

Every S2000 I see I go and check him/her out wondering if they will race, 80% don't, almost as bad as BMW wusses...

Just a few days ago I was able to run with an M Roadster just fine up to a little past 140. Being a previous owner I know those will keep up with or beat an S2000.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by The Enemy
    Stock for Stock straight up race. WRX beats the S2k as you can very well see in the picture.
    How do I know that's not like a Humvee or something?

03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Ask Richard (Chuglobal) He took the picture.
    JDM STi Uppipe
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Lead Foot

Actually ...

Tom, my brother, has a stock S2000. I have run aganist him multiple times during my first 6 months w/ the WRX in stock form, MBC + upipe, and MBC + upipe + downpipe + catback. The S2000 will KILL a WRX on a roll when it's stock vs. stock at any speed. However on a launch the WRX would easily pull 1-3 car lengths ( 2 average ) all the time. Using a MBC & uppipe the WRX would be able to keep up w/ a S2000 on a roll at any speed however not be able to pull away ... and if any "pulling" was done it was done at a very miminal distance. Using the MBC + uppipe + downpipe + catback the WRX would ALWAYS pull on the S2000 ... 1-2 car lengths on a roll at any speed. I did not discuss the launch because the WRX has mad power from a stop and I figure everyone can guess that if we're pulling 1-2 cars on the hwy what would happen on a launch.
    The S2000 is a nice looking car however it's just not practical. If I HAD to choose a roadset under $60K that would be what I'd choose. They ARE fast on the hwy aganist a stock WRX and WILL beat it. However w/ <$1K of mods the WRX WILL pull on the S2000.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Re: Actually ...

Originally posted by chuglobal
    choose. They ARE fast on the hwy aganist a stock WRX and WILL beat it. However w/ <$1K of mods the WRX WILL pull on the S2000.
    I'd have to venture that even just a EBC/MBC to 15psi, and a good driver would give an S2000 an even match.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by Drod
    cobra117 = RSXracer200
    how can you tell

Originally posted by smokey

If you put everything into the WRX that you could get (better wheels, etc...) then it would be about the same in price - I know plenty of WRX owners that spend upwards or $30,000 on their cars and most on this board have dumped dough into their car for modifications.

I personally think stock vs. stock, it would be a driver's race. Maybe the S2K is a bit quicker on the interstate, but I bet your AWD hookup off the line will give it a mad run.

This isn't intended to flame or even be negative, but if $ is the main thing to take into account when comparing, who could you compare your car to? I mean, you could take a few thousand into a civic and it could beat you - same with an integra, an RSX, etc... But we still hear comparisons between WRX and stock RSX-S or INtegra's. Can't have it both ways.

A stock WRX is a bad-ass car, no doubt. Don't use a double-standard though...(and a poor one since its about as much to buy a WRX as a S2K with all options).
    sorry I'm in autralia and a stock WRX is almost half the price of the S2000 even the Monster STi is about 20K cheaper (10K US)

but I've driven all of them and the S2000 will hand it to a stock WRX. although the WRX is a much nicer car to drive The S2000 is just too highly strung It is definately a part time driver like on nice sunny weekends. I was actually glad to drive my Prelude again after driving the S2000.

Originally posted by wombat

sorry I'm in autralia and a stock WRX is almost half the price of the S2000 even the Monster STi is about 20K cheaper (10K US)

but I've driven all of them and the S2000 will hand it to a stock WRX. although the WRX is a much nicer car to drive The S2000 is just too highly strung It is definately a part time driver like on nice sunny weekends. I was actually glad to drive my Prelude again after driving the S2000.
    Have you read the post above? Your S2000 must be different from the States. Chuglobal and I have both ran up against them and nice as they are, pictures don't lie.

After racing Tom's S2000 he took me for a ride and I really enjoyed riding in it, had a cockpit that was very well layed out. And it cornered like a go-kart.
    JDM STi Uppipe
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Lead Foot

Re: Actually ...

Originally posted by chuglobal
    Tom, my brother, has a stock S2000. I have run aganist him multiple times during my first 6 months w/ the WRX in stock form, MBC + upipe, and MBC + upipe + downpipe + catback. The S2000 will KILL a WRX on a roll when it's stock vs. stock at any speed. However on a launch the WRX would easily pull 1-3 car lengths ( 2 average ) all the time. Using a MBC & uppipe the WRX would be able to keep up w/ a S2000 on a roll at any speed however not be able to pull away ... and if any "pulling" was done it was done at a very miminal distance. Using the MBC + uppipe + downpipe + catback the WRX would ALWAYS pull on the S2000 ... 1-2 car lengths on a roll at any speed. I did not discuss the launch because the WRX has mad power from a stop and I figure everyone can guess that if we're pulling 1-2 cars on the hwy what would happen on a launch.
    The S2000 is a nice looking car however it's just not practical. If I HAD to choose a roadset under $60K that would be what I'd choose. They ARE fast on the hwy aganist a stock WRX and WILL beat it. However w/ <$1K of mods the WRX WILL pull on the S2000.
    Agreed. It's nice to see someone who doesn't have tunnel vision. I also say if get a good launch in the S2000 it will be close to the WRX but it will never hook up like that AWD system. It's a pity that the S2000 interior is $hitty though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.