Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX vs. VW R32

17K views 149 replies 47 participants last post by  YZFWV 
#1 ·
Anyone seen these yet? Pretty nice for a GTI base. Guy I talked to that had one said they were AWD 242hp? sounds pretty nice, and very similar to stock WRX.

Now the real question? How do they match up? Anyone raced yet? I'm very curious to see how quick they really are...

#2 ·
i tried to race one, but i think he just drove it off the lot.

VOLKSWAGEN R32
Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 3-door coupe
Base price: $29,675
Engine type: DOHC 24-valve V-6, iron block and aluminum head, port fuel injection
Displacement: 195 cu in, 3189cc
Power (SAE net): 240 bhp @ 6250 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 236 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm

Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 99.1 in
Length/width/height: 164.4/68.3/56.1 in
Curb weight: 3400 lb
Manufacturer's performance ratings:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.4 sec
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph

#4 ·
they run liek 14 @100 probably with a good drive will kill a stock wrx

#6 ·
bmms8 said:
i dont know about doing a quater in 14 seconds if VW said it goes 0-60 in 6.4.
they sure look sweet though
Notice the 100 MPH trap speed? That V6 has some top end probably..

I want to race an R32 sometime with my new Legacy GT. But, I should probably get fast at driving stick first.

#8 ·
Werrxxx said:
Not bad, but for the price tag, why not get an STi or EVO? The guy I talked to seemed pretty psyched about it. I'm gonna go try and find him around town now and make him race me...
Same reason people buy M3's instead of Corvettes, some people want more luxury then performance and vice versa.

#10 ·
I done killed one and I was stock. don't know what happened but he lost to me in the 1/4 mile.

#14 ·
it's a slower car stock period.

But it sacrifaces performance for refinement, quieter NVH, luxury features, softer suspension (than STi and Evo) with less aggressive tires....

Too bad they had to stick to the VW Cup Racing rules.... 240 hp max. They have those pesky Polo GTI's that weigh about a ton and can be tuned closer to 240 bhp for a better power to weight ratio...

If you think the STi's suspension is too rough, but want the exclusivity...R32

#15 ·
depends some magazines like road and track got 100 it varies from 96-100 but 97 is the was the top a mag got for a wrx so i would compare it to the max gotten from the R32 in reality the VW will trap 95-97 with a good driver and a good driver wrx 90-95 (95 with a very good driver) A stage one will probably be pretty close. i mean its probably a drivers race with the VW having a bigger advantage top end
remember:
Eroupean cars= good top end

also you wrx guys have an advatage you can raise youre boost (Cheap hp) it will probably be hard to get a lot of hp on the R32 unless you put a SC ot TC which will cost you alot

I also think the Wrx has a better value then the R32. The R32 is probably more comfertable. So when you guys said that you would love the wrx with the S4 interior and close to wrx price so nows youre chance. or maybe a legacy GT. ;)

#16 ·
audirs6 said:
depends some magazines like road and track got 100 it varies from 96-100 but 97 is the was the top a mag got for a wrx so i would compare it to the max gotten from the R32 in reality the VW will trap 95-97 with a good driver and a good driver wrx 90-95 (95 with a very good driver) A stage one will probably be pretty close. i mean its probably a drivers race with the VW having a bigger advantage top end
remember:
Eroupean cars= good top end

also you wrx guys have an advatage you can raise youre boost (Cheap hp) it will probably be hard to get a lot of hp on the R32 unless you put a SC ot TC which will cost you alot

I also think the Wrx has a better value then the R32. The R32 is probably more comfertable. So when you guys said that you would love the wrx with the S4 interior and close to wrx price so nows youre chance. or maybe a legacy GT. ;)
just wanted to add r32 has the sweetest exhaust sound i've ever heard stock (excluding exotics)

#17 ·
ill b getting an r32 by the end of the summer....ill try to race my brothers silver 02 wrx....and my friends 04 black wrx wagen...videos will be up to let u know how it is......u need to drive the r32 to understand what its all about.

#18 ·
its a very comfortable car and its not totally aimed at younger generation and its not really moddable ..well it is with a lot of cost..stock on stock its probably driver in quarter mile..r32 advantage off a roll...and with just mbc i'd call it even..downpipe i'd give wrx advantage...but like stiguy and other people said..r32 isnt all about speed..its refined speed

#19 ·
my close friend just got a tornado red R32. i just got home from doing a few runs with him tonight actually. i am a 04 stage2, he is stock.
from a roll around 50mph, i will pull a car instantly and keep putting distance at about 1/2 car per second up to half way through 4th, when we stopped.
we went twice from a stop, each time i would have about 2 cars by the end of 2nd, still pulling away. the second run i actually missed 2nd, and was a car behind, but as i was shifting into 4th i passed him with ease. overall i would say that the R32 is not what i was hoping for in a straight line, but the interior and the seats especially are incredible.
i had a chance to drive it a few times and i love the handling of the car. it feels tight, the steering wheel is not too big, and is nice and thick. very little body roll, and the torque on the car is smooth as silk all the way to redline.

#20 ·
Werrxxx said:
Not bad, but for the price tag, why not get an STi or EVO? The guy I talked to seemed pretty psyched about it. I'm gonna go try and find him around town now and make him race me...
refinement my friend.....

to some people its important

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.