WRX vs. VW R32 - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. VW R32 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by eluminx Just like a WRX Sedan..... Yup the rex doesnt have that much room, also the S4 ...

Originally posted by eluminx
    Just like a WRX Sedan.....

Yup the rex doesnt have that much room, also the S4 had no room, But up front it was great on a long trip. How is the rex on long trips.

Btw the forester is a whole diffent story.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone ever sat in the back seat of a new 6-series? Now that's a car with very little legroom for how luxurious it is. It has less legroom than an M3.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    AN R32 IS NOT A LUXURY CAR, ITS JUST FURNISHED LIKE ONE. EVER SIT IN THE BACK? HAHA. THE ONLY THING LUXURIOUS IS WHEN ITS TIME TO GET OUT
    whats the difference when you are in the back of a g35 coupe? im sorry, but for a luxury sports coupe, i am quite disqusted. i like the car, but its not 'luxury'. its more of a poor man's luxury car. i just wished people took a ride in it, and saw its fit and finish, its plastic feeling, plastic knobs and buttons, and its ugly leather that im afraid of sitting on because it seems like the leather is covered in some type of black paint that will get all over my clothes if i sit on it. you want luxury, sit in the back of an a6 or new phaeton.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

i lined up against a bran new R32 on this little drag strip and we went and i had him off the line and all the way to the finish. off the line i was like 2 car ahead of him and we finsihed with me being like 1 car ahead of him. oh yea i have an exhaust too.those cars are fast and there pretty cool for a VW but there not fast enough, heh

jeb
    Originally posted by aheineken
    Anyone ever sat in the back seat of a new 6-series? Now that's a car with very little legroom for how luxurious it is. It has less legroom than an M3.
    That's because the new 6 series was dictated by designers, not engineers.
    2002 Silver WRX

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The whole point behind the AWD loss is weight. Let's get off our high horses, humble ourselves a little, and realize that though some of you may sound like you know what you're talking about, you really don't.

First! The AWD system never completely shuts off, parasitic losses, though reduced, are never eliminated. Talk to an engineer, and you'll find out that it's constantly sending a limited amount of power to the wheel in order to detect wheelspin. Even better, put the car up on the jack, and slightly accellerate and watch all "four" wheels "magically" spin. Try as you might, unles you remove some shaft, you will never get only two of the wheels to spin. Try the same feat with, uhm a C5, Honda, G35 (excluding the G35x), Hemi, or C230, and only "two" of the wheels will start spinning.

Second!!! The R32 is a sporty hatch with a luxurious side! True! But it does not compare to a sportscar (STi, Evo, C5) or a Luxury car, G35 (whatever your opinion may be), 300C Hemi, C230, or Acura TL!

Bottom line is that the R32, though a great car, is not justified for its price niche. 32K buys a lot better cars, for a lot less. Sport would be WRX, 350Z, Luxury would be the top of the line Accord. All to be had south of 30K. I have yet to be convinced that this car offers any incentive over another in it's price point.
    Last edited by ej20fan; 07-27-2004 at 11:51 AM.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Yes, the R32 may no have the sportiness like the STi, Evo, or C5 (not even in the same price range). The R32 may not have the luxury of the Acura TL, not so sure about the G35. My point is that the Sti, Evo, dont have the luxury of the R32 and the TL doesnt have the performance like the R32, it's well rounded with luxury and performance not many cars have that.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    For some odd reason I keep thinking of that phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none!".
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

ej20fan lol i love that quote "jack of all trades, master of none" haha thats classic.

anyway lets lay some things out here, to call the R32 "luxury" is somewhat true, but luxury compared to what? an sti? evo? they dont have real leather seats so to compare those is like saying an accord with leather is luxury compared to those. i dont see mercedes-benz quality leather/interior in the R32. now its not a bad car but UNlike every other german car i think it overdelivers for the price they're asking for it.

30k for a car that has features you cant even touch without spending at least 40 on an mbz or bmw and you're getting a car that doesnt offer much in the way of performance(im referring to mbz/bmw not vw so dont flame me). but then theres also the drawback thats inherent in most european cars, although it has a great warranty, wear parts like brakes for example are Uber-expensive!. in most shops you cannot get a full brake job on a base model benz/audi/vw/bmw/volvo/saab/jaguar for less than 800 dollars(using factory parts and at an average shop labor rate of 80/hr. not to mention the fact that this vw essentially has a Carrera 2 braking system(maybe not exactly but almost identical) which jacks up the price immensely, much like the brakes on an sti/evo. Overall if im looking for a refined luxury car i'd rather spend the extra $$$ and buy something along the lines of a C55, M3, or S4. just like ej20fan said, and to turn his phrase into terms that we're talking about with the R32, for 30k you get a lot of nice features but not one of those is remarkable in any way. 240hp just seems a bit lax on the performance side for 30 grand considering an accord with a v6 thats not even performance oriented like the R32 or a maxima each have at least 255hp with a mill that goes in MANY vehicles and they're still under 30k. for that price you can have your junk continentals or michelins on that R32(both are junk tires IMHO), and ill stick with a nice cheapo set of FK451s or Azenis sports, or even some Ecsta 711s. ive still yet to find a european tire maker that can compete with my azenis sports and at 91 dollars per tire i dare you to find me a tire at that price in my size that will compare when it comes to dry traction.

BUT in its favor for 30k you do get leather recaros, 6spd, 18s, a v6 with lots of potential, a really nice ground effects kit, an even nicer sounding exhaust note, prestige of owning a european car that can hang with cars that are 1.5x its price(bmw 330i with sport package, or mercedes c230 kompressor with sport package), and the fact that you own a car that has fewer units being made than an sti or evo and has already been ceased in production. i guarantee you the R32 will hold its value better than any (also stock) sti or evo(current ones).

but ej20fan 1 thing you are incorrect on is the way you claim or said someone tested the awd system of the r32. driving the vehicle on jacks with all 4 wheels spinning is proof that the haldex awd computer is doing what it should. the reason being that it detects that the front wheels are turning much too fast in relation to how fast the car is traveling and so it engages the rear wheels. if you try this you'll see why, jack up an m3 in the rear then put it in gear and ease onto the gas you wont even hit 10mph before the traction control light comes on and the car starts going haywire trying to figure out just what the hell is going wrong. the haldex works in sort of the same way but in that when it sees the front wheels turning it engages the rears rather than cutting power/applying braking like the m3 computer does. the only real way to test the theory of the haldex awd not turning the rear wheels would be to take a slow motion video of someone stomping on the gas(i think this will work) and watching the front wheels spin momentarily before the rears engage. i believe this was tested on an s4 back in 2000 and it worked. anyway thats my $.02
    Last edited by FearTheWagon; 07-15-2005 at 02:02 AM.
    2002 WR Blue Wagon 6MT with 427ci Lingenfelter Performance Enterprise V8 - BorgWarner T56 Transmission - Tilton carbon clutch - converted to RWD - 28" MT ET Drag slicks - Hooker Performance headers - Paxton Novi2000 Blower at 12psi - Magnaflow twin dump exhaust - 6" cowl hood - 4.10 gears w/Currie narrowed 9" Rear diff housing - 10point roll cage - Lexan windows - 200 Wet shot Fogger Nitrous System

I have a Blue 04 R32 Its an awsome car its not supose to be the fastest car in the world it does hold its ground but its not made for "street racing" its made for the autobaund (however u spell it) it easly hits 153MPH without a shake or noise and yes i use to kill G35's (cough Nissan Altima) the R32 is a collector's VW you cant compaire it too an evo or an sti thats like comparing a geo to a acura or somthing that is not on the lines of a super car its a 3.2 L V6 N/a it handles alot better then a stock Wrx also and its AWD it just has a traction control which will cause it to die down but it goes in a half of second its a great little car if you like the golf's you cant put it against somthing like a evo or Sti both those companys have like over 10 years in the AWD catagory Vw just came out with 4motion ilove my r32 and my WRX

Don't the r32s have like a variable compression head or something like that? My buddy got stoked about the R32 engine (Had a VR6 that he put into his a2 jetta), I thought it was a Bored and stroked version of the VR6 with a variable compression head and variable valve-timing. Great looking cars nonetheless and i think this chick I know is looking to buy one (almost got one from TX for 24k), but is having money issues. If she gets it, I'll trade a drive in my car for a drive in hers and try and tell which one is faster. Whoever was saying that all german cars have good top-end needs to go drive some more volkswagens and look at the dyno sheet for any vr6. The powerband starts at 1900 rpm on a vr6 and dies out after like four grand, and almost always have way more torque than hp.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

R32s running 13.90s? I'd love to see that. Probably a case of some R32 owner feeling like crap that he spent $29000 for a mid 14 second car, and then just told everybody he ran 13.90s.

It's the same thing with LS1 Fbody owners. They all think they run 12.90s just because one car in a magazine article did it. In fact, most LS1 Fbodies I've seen don't run any faster than 13.60s in stock trim. Maybe none of these guys know how to drive?

I race a R32 couple week ago and endup putting couple cars length on him. We did it 3 times: 1st. 45mph roll, 2nd. i was in front, 3rd. he was in front (got about 2 cars head start). .
    1st- 45mph:
    He say, he didn't even try to downshift on me, thinking i was stock . I endup pulling about 6+ cars length until the next lights.
    2nd-at the light:
    We were in the right lane, and he was behind me. The light turn green and i didnt launch (clutch was slipping) but end up WOT in 1st. I still endup pulling on him until the next lights.
    3rd- at the light turning right:
    we was turning right but my car endup turning off (alway like that if i WOT to 40+mph and then let go the gas) and i did a wide right turn to the 1st lane in 3 lanes. He end up going to 2nd lane and take off. He got about 2-3 cars lenght until i put it in 2nd and step on the gas. I endup reeling him in around 45+mph and endup on his back bumper around 70mph. We shutdown around 90-100mph.

We endup pulling in a local plaza and talk about our cars. He was saying that he can smoke a stock wrx and inch away from STI. I was the only one that was alway on his ass all the time Also he brought his car from a local VW dealer for $40K

Quote Originally Posted by llhype12ll
    I race a R32 couple week ago and endup putting couple cars length on him. We did it 3 times: 1st. 45mph roll, 2nd. i was in front, 3rd. he was in front (got about 2 cars head start). .
    1st- 45mph:
    He say, he didn't even try to downshift on me, thinking i was stock . I endup pulling about 6+ cars length until the next lights.
    2nd-at the light:
    We were in the right lane, and he was behind me. The light turn green and i didnt launch (clutch was slipping) but end up WOT in 1st. I still endup pulling on him until the next lights.
    3rd- at the light turning right:
    we was turning right but my car endup turning off (alway like that if i WOT to 40+mph and then let go the gas) and i did a wide right turn to the 1st lane in 3 lanes. He end up going to 2nd lane and take off. He got about 2-3 cars lenght until i put it in 2nd and step on the gas. I endup reeling him in around 45+mph and endup on his back bumper around 70mph. We shutdown around 90-100mph.

We endup pulling in a local plaza and talk about our cars. He was saying that he can smoke a stock wrx and inch away from STI. I was the only one that was alway on his ass all the time Also he brought his car from a local VW dealer for $40K
    He bought an R32 for $40,000?

Why so much hate on the R32?
    Everything happens for a reason