WRX vs. VW R32 - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. VW R32 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; At first I was not impressed with the R32. The more I read about it, the more I realize, like ...

At first I was not impressed with the R32. The more I read about it, the more I realize, like audirs6 said, it's basically a more affordable version of a car I love, the Audi S4.

This car shouldn't be compared with the STi and Evo as far as sales go, nor the WRX. There really isn't anything out there that competes with it in it's price range as far as luxury/performance combination goes.

VW hit the nail on the head with this one. I'd like to go test drive one soon, but the dealer sells them as soon as they get them in.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by ellinopedo182
    I bought my r32 about a month ago. All i can say, stock for stock... the r32 will take the wrx. I gave my wrx over to my brother, who just blew up his engine, and ordered, from what he tells me, axis stage 1 or something. He said something about getting a 2.2L engine instead of fixing up his. anyhow, before all this... his car had a mbc @17psi, TurboXS uppipe, Bosal Twindump Downpipe, 3" catback exhaust, lighter rims, airboxremoved. all in all, he has a good setup. His is automatic, but its the only automatic that i know that boosts to 4200rpms break torquing. anyhow, i raced him a couple of times, with him getting the jump on me and me realing him in and top endwise, passing him pretty quick. (my brother easily takes stock wrx's)

I also ran a stock wrx. This guy had 2 other passengers, while i had 4 other passengers. We went from a 20mph roll and i passed him as if he was standing still. we did this a couple more times and the same thing happened. i know he was manual because i could hear him downshifting every time he wanted to race.

The r32 might be rated at 240hp, but many have dynoed and found it to be underrated. There is also a free mod that you can do which pretty much opens the valve for the exhaust which limits noise when under 3000 rpms. With this mod, the hp increase is about 8-10hp, and about 5lbs trq. Not bad. The best ive seen a person run with just this mod, is a 13.8@~100mph.

peter
    Yikes how did your brother blow up his engine? Also are you still in the chicago area, i would love to check out your R32.

-BobbyD
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

Re: Milltek Exhaust (VW R32) Sound clip

Originally posted by audirs6
    Thats stock. You ever heard it with the milltek exhaust ?

http://www.stratmosphere.com/r32_mtk_cat_catback.asf
    I don't know, it sounds an awful lot like an older 2.5rs that went past me at WOT. You don't get to hear too many NA boxer 4's screaming with free flowing exhausts, they sound a lot better than turbo'd ones. Well, maybe not better, but more aggressive some how...
    -ORW

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I'll get under there this weekend and see if I can loosen things up and maybe shoot some lube juice up in there.

Oh sht, please don't sig that.

Originally posted by aheineken
    At first I was not impressed with the R32. The more I read about it, the more I realize, like audirs6 said, it's basically a more affordable version of a car I love, the Audi S4.

This car shouldn't be compared with the STi and Evo as far as sales go, nor the WRX. There really isn't anything out there that competes with it in it's price range as far as luxury/performance combination goes.

VW hit the nail on the head with this one. I'd like to go test drive one soon, but the dealer sells them as soon as they get them in.
    Some might also argue that for the same price you can get an Sti but then again there two different cars. Some might just want more comfort some people actually cant afford the therapy for there back after a few weeks diving in a Sti or evo (evo specially). and some might not care.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    auto wrx gearing is even more horrible than MT. Stock for stock MTvs MT, european wrx is faster. The R32 is porkier than the subaru. Great car, but a stage II car (manual) would handle one.
    i dont know how well u know of the european cars, but the wrx that is equivalent to our wrx's comes with less hp than ours(or did in 2002) and i have yet to see a mag in europe get 0-60mph anywhere in the 5's. what i usually see is very low 6's, which maybe because they are not launching them hard like we do here in the states. There are other wrx's that come with around 250hp i think, and the sti's there are around 280hp, and there is also a special edition(s202?) which comes with 330hp i think. I dont know if my hp ratings are correct, but ill find out for sure on tuesday when i arrive in Greece.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

european wrx makes 225ps taken from Subaru global

225/0.99 = 227hp

im gonna go dig up the Comparison. i think the VW did 0-62 in 6.2, and the wrx did it in 5.8

The VW makes more power, but its also porkier.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Performance numbers by magazines for VW R32

Motor trend
    0-60 5.9
    0-1/4 mile 14.2@97.6
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...r32/index.html

Road and track:
    0-60 5.8
    0-1/4 mile 14.1@99.2
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....ber=2&preview=

Like one (maybe) magazine got that high at the 1/4 mile with wrx that motor trend got.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    european wrx makes 225ps taken from Subaru global

225/0.99 = 227hp

im gonna go dig up the Comparison. i think the VW did 0-62 in 6.2, and the wrx did it in 5.8

The VW makes more power, but its also porkier.
    what gives the advantage(i guess) over the wrx is that it has a haldex awd system, which is aka a smart awd system, which only enables when traction is lost to the front wheels. if traction is not a problem, it acts as a front wheel drive car. the reason for the crappy 0-60 is because of its gearing. it needs to shift into third to get to 60. best 0-60 ive seen for the r32 is 5.8. if it wasnt for that 3rd gear shift, i would believe the r32 would run 0-60 in mid 5's.

im almost positive, stock for stock, usdm or euro spec, given equal drivers, the r32 should have the advantage. from a stop, and especially from a roll.

a couple of mods onto the wrx and then it will be a different story.

peter
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

I was impressed to death when I test drove an R32. Frankly, I found the VW's handling to be more impressive than the STI, but it was no Evo.

What the car lacked was power. The STI is an unholy beast when you went WOT, the Evo is fast, the VW merely was quick. Very similar to a WRX with a pulley and uppipe.

I may have been willing to sacrifice some performance to get the refinement the R32 offered, but I am sure as hell unwilling to pay a few grand more (read: dealer mark up) to lose performance. Now if it actually carried the Audi badge...

Edit: Woohoo 69th post.
    Last edited by CannonBaller; 07-10-2004 at 05:32 AM.

Registered
    I don't think it would take too much tuning to make this car into a monster. Add a supercharger and you'd be ready to go. The suspension and brakeas are already excellent.

Supercharging is costly and requires some major modding. Its not like adding a turboback exaust and hoping to keep your warranty.

Registered
    I'm quite aware of the cost factors of supercharging. It would probably cost a couple of grand more than putting a WRX to Stage 4.

My point is, the remaining systems on the car are of sufficient quality to accomodate the added power. The brakes and suspension are excellent as the car is delivered. I think a supercharger, would really make this car shine.

I'll bet somebody, maybe Stillen, is already working up the kit.
    Last edited by Crucial Racing; 07-10-2004 at 06:44 AM.

^ Agreed, aside from the cost it would be a bad ass ride. Except I would never purchase anything from $tealin...

Now use your third post to plug that uppipe. 321 steel and coated for $250? You can't beat that deal.
    Last edited by CannonBaller; 07-10-2004 at 08:01 AM.

Registered
    Originally posted by CannonBaller
    ^ Agreed, aside from the cost it would be a bad ass ride. Except I would never purchase anything from $tealin...

Now use your third post to plug that uppipe. 321 steel and coated for $250? You can't beat that deal.
    You forgot about our Cu-seal gaskets which are included in the package.

Where the hell were you before my WRX got jacked with that uppipe? What is so special about the gaskets?

Also has anyone thought of making a true dual exhaust for the R32? The exhaust is dual until well after the header where it merges into one.
    Last edited by CannonBaller; 07-10-2004 at 01:26 PM.