got beat by a cobra - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on got beat by a cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've ran 3 different 03 Cobra's at the track, and each time I'd rape them out of the hole, but ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I've ran 3 different 03 Cobra's at the track, and each time I'd rape them out of the hole, but they would literally blow by me at around the 1/8th mile mark. Top end, we would need a lot of upgrades to make it even....and I do mean a lot.

I'll run them stoplight to stoplight though. AWD baby. Drag radials or not, they can't hang against a 4 wheel launch.

At the track, it typically takes a car that runs in the mid 11s to hang with the STi on a launch. Don't know how many sub 12 cars I've ran and won against due to the shock factor of killing them out of the hole. That is our one biggest advantage and I try to stick with it.

Sigh...those days are over now though, as I stick with twisty track racing these days. More challenging, more seat time, and it uses the full potential of the car...IMHO that is. No flames please, as I've been dragging for over 20 years and love it. Just hate the abuse of the launches on my STi.

Nice Run and way to hang. Not bad at all!!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Shangsta
    most cobras run around with drag radials on them
    That is very true
    Mine does
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

i want a cobra.

and an LS1

and a M5

and a SRT-10

<sigh>

so many cars...

...so little money.

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex
    i want a cobra.

and an LS1

and a M5

and a SRT-10

<sigh>

so many cars...

...so little money.

dR
    i hear u. ive been looking at getting a new car for a while now. but as time as gone by and i realize how poor i am. my choices seem to get cheaper and cheaper.

03 cobra> 96 trans am> 96 impala> 96 civic hb.

i plan on owning all these cars, but for right now ill have to start with the cheapest

frederick
    Hks up/dp/ebc/ti exh; TeIN springs:
    kartboy ss; blitz bov; volk gt-c

...n we're just getting started

13.4@99mph

there are a couple stockers runnin around here (03 cobras) i've seen them both go high 12's at the track, so yeah they are fast but the one kid (which i dont like at all) had so much negative equity on his GT that he traded in he ended up payin $45,000 for the car no ford is worth 45k to me, for 45k i could buy a STi and have it at stage 5 runnin 11's with money left and drive in in december

ya a cobra would be bad ass and they are supa fast - but if u live whwere it snows u best have a back up for when it does snow or else you aint goin anywhere haha. Thats what i love about AWD

Originally posted by mike01svt
    btw, what can the sti do... mods wise to run with the cobra... like mine for example? not in the 1/4.. like a freeway run. a new turbo, injectors... or do they just crank up the boost on the stock setup?
    Bigger turbo, without a doubt. The stock turbo has major power falloff after 5500 RPMs. There are people making ~500 hp (375-450 whp) on bolt on big turbos. Many of these awd dynos also read lower than dynojet's popular among the RWD crowd. Also remember that that the STi has a marginal weight and aero advantage.

Check out these dyno plots:

http://www.ktrperformance.com/servic...graph_main.htm

I'll be getting my car tuned on this dyno in the very near future. I'm hoping for low to mid 300's, as it is a very low reading dyno. A stock Z06 does 300 whp on this dyno. My stock sti did ~225 whp.

Kevin
    Last edited by Red Rocket; 07-11-2004 at 03:55 PM.
    '04 STi Blue/Gold

XS500/UTEC/UR 785cc/MRT TMIC/3" Catless/AVO Turbo inlet/APS 70mm CAI/AVC-R/JIC FLT-A2/SSR Type-C

ECUTEK!!!!

349.3 WHP, Dyno Dynamics, 100 octane (torco)

~450 bhp

Re: got beat by a cobra

Originally posted by DownSTi
    i raced a 2003 svt cobra we raced twice.. of a stop we had a flagger.. heres the take on the race:

note: my sti is stock
    and the cobra claims that its stock(but he sounds like he is supercharge or shotting nos) but yea he claims to be stock

first race
    on the launch i beat him about a car he was at my rear bumper, second gear he was still at my rear door, third gear he was ahead by maybe two feet(i was at his door), fourth gear he was gone maybe about 2 car ahead and kept pulling away..

second race same result..

man how fast are these cobras?
    can they actually beat the sti from a stop or the guy is bull****ting me sayin that its stock?
    I cant believe Stock Sti owners say they have stayed with a cobra. Are you shure it wasnt a GT . I mean they run 12s and trap at 110-113 and all of you are saying that you stayed with a cobra to a 100 in a stock Sti which traps from 101-103 mph. Yes i could understand from a stop untill 60 you might have stayed with him. Because he has rwd and you have awd. And most probably you can out launch him. But after 50 or 60 he will pull bus lengths. either it wasnt a 03+ cobra or he wasnt racing or he was in 6th gear or he doesnt know how to drive. I mean a cobra is a fast car. Its hard to believe all these cobra kills
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Yeah ...tell me about it...I finally pulled me a stock one. I think sti's would maybe hold them off from a dig until 80 mph due to most drivers cant drive them on the street. But w/ a goood driver an sti should hold out till around 70mph and then get pulled hard.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Originally posted by 13secwrx
    Yeah ...tell me about it...I finally pulled me a stock one. I think sti's would maybe hold them off from a dig until 80 mph due to most drivers cant drive them on the street. But w/ a goood driver an sti should hold out till around 70mph and then get pulled hard.
    i raced a stock sti when i was stock... 320hp and i didnt even start to pull on him until we were past 65... but of course he shutdown at like 70. i admit he would have beaten me in the 1/4 for sure I was on 18's though, he totally wasted me on the launch... I didnt start pulling mid 13's until i went back to 17" wheels.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Originally posted by mike01svt
    i raced a stock sti when i was stock... 320hp and i didnt even start to pull on him until we were past 65... but of course he shutdown at like 70. i admit he would have beaten me in the 1/4 for sure I was on 18's though, he totally wasted me on the launch... I didnt start pulling mid 13's until i went back to 17" wheels.
    first of all we are talking about 03 and on but anyway you have a more powerful one anyway. Was this race with youre current set up
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

nah... i havent raced anyone really... just regular gt's and what not... when i raced the sti i was bone stock with 18's which really screwed me over. I know we were talking about 03's just giving some input on the 01 and my race against the sti.

edit: i did already roast an 03 though.. he thought he was unbeatable.. which made the win even better. I have yet to see any sti's around here though. i think there are like 2 LOL
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Banned

Re: Re: got beat by a cobra

Originally posted by audirs6
    I cant believe Stock Sti owners say they have stayed with a cobra. Are you shure it wasnt a GT . I mean they run 12s and trap at 110-113 and all of you are saying that you stayed with a cobra to a 100 in a stock Sti which traps from 101-103 mph. Yes i could understand from a stop untill 60 you might have stayed with him. Because he has rwd and you have awd. And most probably you can out launch him. But after 50 or 60 he will pull bus lengths. either it wasnt a 03+ cobra or he wasnt racing or he was in 6th gear or he doesnt know how to drive. I mean a cobra is a fast car. Its hard to believe all these cobra kills
    well u better believe it cuz it happened, and plus u sound like ur magazine racing right there, to run a stock 03 cobra to 12's is very very very very ****in hard, and sti runs 13 flat with proven time slips and some even hit 12.9 stock with a ****in very very vey good driving. and plus anything can happen in street racing rite? so yea... fast or slow driver still counts.. im jus telling my tale about my race so dont bull **** me about how i should of lost by a ****in bus lenght...

peace .. hahahha

Banned

Re: Re: got beat by a cobra

Originally posted by audirs6
    sorry for the bad mouth i jus carried away... but yea have faith on sti man.. to tell u the truth i ran agaisnt 3 stock sti and i beat them all, some my rear door or beat them by car (meaning he was a car back of my bumper) ran about 5 evos thats stock and wuped them all. but my friend with the evo with upipe downpipe exhust beats me alot he wins 80 percent of the time.. that guy knows how to drive the ****in evo..

well anyone stock sti or stock evos wanna race me im from san jose californian..

There was an article in turbo magazine where some guy in Calif. suped up his 02 wrx with all the usual godies; complete exhaust, sti injectors, sti turbo and engine management. With all the mods the wrx was dynoed at 240 hp at the wheels. They put the wrx against a 03 Cobra. The wrx was faster 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile by about two tenths of a second in each category. So my point being, the guys cobra probably had a little modification here and there because the STI should have stayed with the cobra until about 90-100mph's. That's when the physics of the Cobra's bigger engine would take over.
    POMAN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.