LOST...Mustang knowers...view please - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on LOST...Mustang knowers...view please within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yeah ...more mods are a coming...gears first..then all hell will break loose..oh..and I need to stop better. These stock breaks ...

Yeah ...more mods are a coming...gears first..then all hell will break loose..oh..and I need to stop better. These stock breaks are just not cutting it anymore...Anything over 120mph and I have to coast to a stop..
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had a 1990 LX 5.0 and did somo similar modifications. GT 40 intake, heads, cams, headders,exhaust and gears. Car ran a 14.0 stock at 95 MPH after the mods it ran a 12.5 109 mph. Stock RWHP was 198 RWHP and after the mods it made 335 rwhp. People forget, that the LX weighed 3000 lbs.

heres your answer: Taken from Trickflow's website

"Twisted Wedge Aluminum Cylinder Heads for Small Block Ford
    Our Twisted Wedge heads are 50-state-emissions-legal for 1996 and earlier 289, 302, and 351W Fords! (CARB E.O. number D-369-1)

In dyno tests, a 5.0L Cobra engine equipped with a GT-40 intake, an E-303 grind cam, stud-mount rocker arms,
    and longer pushrods made 328 horsepower and 354 ft.-lbs. of torque. Thatís 78 more horsepower and 54 ft.-lbs.
    more torque than the stock Cobra engine. Twisted Wedge heads can make even more power when matched up
    with our Track Heat EFI Intake Manifold, a Track Heat Roller Cam Kit, and Forged Pistons."
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

That makes sense...18 hp more...50 lb/tq more....1 less passenger...Eh..guess I have more work to do...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

I Support ClubWRX
    Mustang 5.0's are beasts when you let them breath. From the factory the heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds are very restrictive. Big power can be made by just opening her passages.

gotta love the foxbody stang, so ugly but sooo capable
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

I actually like the way they look. To each his own.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

i like the notchback model, gotta love the tunes that 302 makes. one of the most classic fuel injected V8 sountracks ever.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    With the right combo there is no reason why you couldnt have a high 12 second stang with around 5 grand into it. With heads, intake, cam, t/b, gears, exhaust, and some drag radials a fox will give many cars a run for there money.

The setup you described (The best I can figure from it) was pretty basic. Again any garage with a few wrenchs and 5 grand can easily toss these cars into the 12's.

If the guy had a 331 or 347 that will also push the car alot better. Since the 351W block is the same basic design as the 302 very few people would know the difference. He could be using a stroked 351 and no one would be the wiser (although doubtful y ou never know).

As for the blower comment...A blown stock S-trim 302 with 3.73's could touch low 13's high 12's. Once you toss on some heads and intake you easily have low 12's. F/I owns on EFI stangs.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Originally posted by 302@12psi
    With the right combo there is no reason why you couldnt have a high 12 second stang with around 5 grand into it. With heads, intake, cam, t/b, gears, exhaust, and some drag radials a fox will give many cars a run for there money.

The setup you described (The best I can figure from it) was pretty basic. Again any garage with a few wrenchs and 5 grand can easily toss these cars into the 12's.

If the guy had a 331 or 347 that will also push the car alot better. Since the 351W block is the same basic design as the 302 very few people would know the difference. He could be using a stroked 351 and no one would be the wiser (although doubtful y ou never know).

As for the blower comment...A blown stock S-trim 302 with 3.73's could touch low 13's high 12's. Once you toss on some heads and intake you easily have low 12's. F/I owns on EFI stangs.
    I thought so.. for some reason the 5.0's dont do as well as the newer 4.6's when it comes to Power Adders. I raced a old 5.0 with an S-trim and heads and cams.. and he didnt put up much of a fight. he was only running 5psi though.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

I didn't see anyone post about it above, but that whistle probably was his T/B. I put a 70mm T/B on my 5.0 and at a certain RPM it would whistle. I had several people mistake it for a turbo. Anyways, good loss...reading it makes me want to put a little more $$ into the 5.0 instead of my WRX.

Originally posted by scoobie1
    I didn't see anyone post about it above, but that whistle probably was his T/B. I put a 70mm T/B on my 5.0 and at a certain RPM it would whistle. I had several people mistake it for a turbo. Anyways, good loss...reading it makes me want to put a little more $$ into the 5.0 instead of my WRX.
    wow, i didnt know that. is that only on the 5.0's that makes that whistle?
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Originally posted by mike01svt
    wow, i didnt know that. is that only on the 5.0's that makes that whistle?
    Ya got me there...I had a '00 GT for a little while but never put a T/B on it.

There are a few companies that make a spacer for the throttle bodies. They actually create a turbulence for the incoming air. They whistle like a crazed banshee. My guess is when he put on a larger throttle body, he added the spacer and wala, the whistle.
    The word of the day is heads. Heads make the power in a naturally aspirated engine. I have two big blocks in my garage. One is 600 cubic inches, and absolutely all out race in every way. I have a 565 with roughly the same parts. The 565 makes over 300 horsepower more because of the heads. And the 600 incher has the trickest standard Chevy heads available.
    Nascar engines are the same 358 design that this guy has in his stang. The difference is the heads. They make just under 800 horsepower with a flat tappet cam and less than an 800 cfm carb. And that is with huge limitations in compression, parts weights, etc.
    What heads he put on is the question. And how much he wanted to pay to get them done.
    I know a guy that had a Ford Thunderbird drag race car. 351 cubic inches, nice piece. Let Larry at EPD have his way with a set of Ford Motorsports heads. Took Larry about 6 months to complete them. The car ran 8.30 in the quarter. No blower, no turbo, no juice. Just heads.
    So, when the answer is 'heads', we need to ask one more question. And that is "what heads?"

Originally posted by Wannabe
    There are a few companies that make a spacer for the throttle bodies. They actually create a turbulence for the incoming air. They whistle like a crazed banshee. My guess is when he put on a larger throttle body, he added the spacer and wala, the whistle.
    The word of the day is heads. Heads make the power in a naturally aspirated engine. I have two big blocks in my garage. One is 600 cubic inches, and absolutely all out race in every way. I have a 565 with roughly the same parts. The 565 makes over 300 horsepower more because of the heads. And the 600 incher has the trickest standard Chevy heads available.
    Nascar engines are the same 358 design that this guy has in his stang. The difference is the heads. They make just under 800 horsepower with a flat tappet cam and less than an 800 cfm carb. And that is with huge limitations in compression, parts weights, etc.
    What heads he put on is the question. And how much he wanted to pay to get them done.
    I know a guy that had a Ford Thunderbird drag race car. 351 cubic inches, nice piece. Let Larry at EPD have his way with a set of Ford Motorsports heads. Took Larry about 6 months to complete them. The car ran 8.30 in the quarter. No blower, no turbo, no juice. Just heads.
    So, when the answer is 'heads', we need to ask one more question. And that is "what heads?"
    damn thats some good info... 8.30 in the 1/4 !!!!! thats just insane.. was that on 110 octane?
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast