Stock 2005 STi VS 2000 Z28 on the highway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock 2005 STi VS 2000 Z28 on the highway within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, just got past 1k on the STi last weekend and I have been itching to get her up ...

Stock 2005 STi VS 2000 Z28 on the highway

Hey all, just got past 1k on the STi last weekend and I have been itching to get her up against something. Tonight was the night. I was walking to my car after working late and I saw the Z sitting there next to my car. The guy gets out and was asking me about the STi. He works in my building but I have never talked with him before. We chat for like 10 minutes then he asked me to run up on the highway. Well I was like sure but you will win. He has a full exhaust and an intake. But then he said "well she has 115k on her and getting kind of weak after all the beatings put it through."

So we pull out and up the ramp for the highway. I was in front. There is a 90~ turn on the ramp so I lay into it. I look back and he took the turn too hard! He was off the road in the grass! So I pull over on the side of the road and wait. He gets it back on the ramp and pulls up behind. I get out and ask if he is ok. He said "yea, damn that thing sticks to the road, I wasn't watching my speed, just your car and lost it." lol Anyway on to the race...

**Note this was at 9:30 at night with no trafic around.**

I let him honk to 3 from a 50mph roll, I get the jump for some reason and put 2 cars on him by 100. I'm into 5th and keep it pinned to the floor and shut down at 120. I look back right before i shut down and had about 4 cars on him.

I was shocked! I'm not an F-Body expert but I though he would pull on me over 100mph with his mods. Maybe his engine is just beat but it sounded damn good.

I'm going to talk to him more tomorrow and see what he thinks of the ol' STi.

So thats STi 1, Domestics 0

Fess

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

actually...i am really surprise on the outcome
    if he was atleast an avg. driver, you would have been owned.

They trap really high on the 1/4 mile.
    Z33

Yea I guess his driving skills speak for themselves.

Fess

Nice Kill!

Are the 2000 Z28's LS1's? I raced a LT1 Z28 which was a 98 or 99 (whatever the last year of the Lt1), from a 60 mph roll and spanked his a$$. By the top of 3rd (around 90) I was about 2 car lengths ahead and was still walking away even in 4th. I have a regular WRX with bolt ons.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Good kill. I continue to espous the STi's ability to roll against the competition at higher speeds. It just keeps pulling. I've rolled against older Mustang GTs, Cobras, Camaros, Z28s, etc, and have either kept up, or worst case, got slowly walked, and that was by a 70 LT1. They are not slouches at high speeds. Hell just 2 weeks ago against a Bullet with intake, exhaust and chipped, and ran away, not just walked away. The kid couldn't believe all I had was a catback exhaust.
    Again though...way to represent.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Very nice job man.

i want an STI

'97 was the last year of the LT1 in F-bodies.

'97+ Y-bodies (Vettes) all have LS1s (or LS6 for the Z06)

'98+ F-bodies all have LS1s.

Nice kill BTW

VV

Originally posted by jamie007
    Nice Kill!

Are the 2000 Z28's LS1's? I raced a LT1 Z28 which was a 98 or 99 (whatever the last year of the Lt1), from a 60 mph roll and spanked his a$$. By the top of 3rd (around 90) I was about 2 car lengths ahead and was still walking away even in 4th. I have a regular WRX with bolt ons.

Originally posted by VetteVert
    '97 was the last year of the LT1 in F-bodies.

'97+ Y-bodies (Vettes) all have LS1s (or LS6 for the Z06)

'98+ F-bodies all have LS1s.

Nice kill BTW

VV
    I have read somewhere that a particular model year of the LS1's were a little less potent than some other years or something... perhaps I was just dreaming...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Seeing that guy in the grass must have made your day.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/81544.png
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Thumbs up

Originally posted by jigga
    I have read somewhere that a particular model year of the LS1's were a little less potent than some other years or something... perhaps I was just dreaming...
    2001-2002's have a different cam and the LS6 intake, and typically dyno anywhere from 5-15 rwhp more than the 98-00's.

Anyway, nice kill on the Z28, 1fast. Maybe you could bring him to an autocross so he can learn the limits of lateral adhesion of his car a bit better.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Well I talked with him at lunch time today. The Z is an auto. He quoted me numbers from the 1/4 of 13.3 @ 108mph last year. Thats a good trap speed but I guess it being an auto hurts his times from the way he made it sound. So if he trapped 108mph at the track he should have pulled on me. He was very impressed with the STi and wants a ride through some twisties. Maybe I can get him to go from a dig some time, we'll see..

Fess

First I would like to say good kill. Anytime you beat an LS1 its fun.

I also wanted to mention a problem that is common with A4 LS1's. They do not like racing from the 40 - 50mph zone. This could explain your easy victory.

It is very common for LS1 A4's racing from about 40-50mph to get stuck in too high a gear. It is know as the "Dead Zone." Its were the transmission doesn't downshift to the appropriate gear for racing. It happend to me almost everytime from that speed in my 99z28 A4.

In my 99z28 I raced a GTi from about 45mph. He got the jump on me just as you did. It took me all the way to 110mph to catch him and pass him. His car only ran high 14s at the track, yet he pulled on me pretty good from 45mph. If I had been racing an STi I would have easily been killed up to 120mph. Like I said, the A4 tranny in the LS1 really doesn't like racing from those speeds.

After several encounters like this I learned to race from a slower speed say 20-30mph or a higher speed say 70mph+. I tried hard not to race from 40-50mph in my LS1 A4.

I would say race him from about 20 -30 mph or from about 70mph. The outcome could be very different. If it isn't then you have a fast running STi or his car isn't running it's best. Which could be the case with a car having over 100k miles.

Well that would explain the 2 cars I got on him by 100mph but to pull two more by 120mph seems crazy. I'm happy with my car either way. I'll have to ask him to go from 20mph or so to see what will happen..

Fess

Originally posted by josnroh
    Seeing that guy in the grass must have made your day.
    woulda made mine
    "I put two and two together and decided - you're pissin' me off."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast