Stock 2005 STi VS 2000 Z28 on the highway - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stock 2005 STi VS 2000 Z28 on the highway within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; good run for the STi, good run for the old LS1 too. that guy needs new platinum plugs, wires, Mobil ...

good run for the STi, good run for the old LS1 too. that guy needs new platinum plugs, wires, Mobil 1, and recalibrated timing.
    bet that would more than even things out
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's some numbers to add to the story above. My 98z with 90K runs nearly identical times and puts down about 320rwhp. Assuming the Z in the above thread had the 3:23 rear, at 50 mph on the downshift to second the rpms would have climbed to 3500. At 3500 rpms the Z is putting down about 200 rwhp and trying to accelerate about 3500lbs. Had the race been from 65or70 the Z would be putting around 310 to ground. Almost like a 100 shot of nitrous...

I have had similar results running against 350s and G35s on the freeway. Considering my car traps 4-6 mph higher I thought I'd walk away in each case. However with each run from 80 mph our cars are dead even. In this case they're near the peak of the power band and I'm at the bottom.
    02 WRX - auto, Blaze Yellow

Well thats good to know. What about the 6 speeds?? Is 6th gear even usable or is it just for highway crusing??

Fess

Very surprising out come as the LS1s have very nice top end. I wouldn't expect the same outcome with a 6 speed though. Maybe that guy just couldn't drive.
    This car is making a poor man even poorer.

Originally posted by 1fastsubie
    Well thats good to know. What about the 6 speeds?? Is 6th gear even usable or is it just for highway crusing??

Fess

Just cruising. At 80 the engine would be spinning around 1800 rpms.

Originally posted by Neversatisfied
    Very surprising out come as the LS1s have very nice top end. I wouldn't expect the same outcome with a 6 speed though. Maybe that guy just couldn't drive.

Couldn't drive? The guy had an automatic and they were running from a roll

If the race had been with a manual the outcome would be the same unless the guy dropped it into the right gear. That's why manual's are great...you have greater flexibility to put the engine in the optimal powerband when you want.

Wow thats a tall gear! So the box isn't close ratio then like the STi. I think the gearing in the STi is the key to roll on races. If you know the car well it would be very hard to find a speed to start from with a dead spot in it. Thanks for the low down on the F Bodies Torqued.

Fess

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.