Volkswagon Golf
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Volkswagon Golf within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok,, heading home from work, across the james Isalnd connector for those of you that are fom charleston, and a ...

Volkswagon Golf

Ok,, heading home from work, across the james Isalnd connector for those of you that are fom charleston, and a yellow golf Gti comes screaming out of the onramp. I drop to second and get behind him, but neither one of us could pull up to 130, where we both shut down for the curve. I lost him at the light, cause i had to turn to get home, but he was definetly putting up some good numbers. a buddy of mine in college had a turboed golf with a chip and a full exhaust, and we were neck and neck from about 30-130, so i am guesing that is what this guy had. Anyway, its a sweet little ride, and now i really need to get a utec/accessport. All i have now is up/tbe and MBC

- DC

PS - i still just dont like yellow cars - dunno why, but WRB is just waaay better in my book
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

there problem prone. CEL when moded and so on. drove one with less miles then my wrx and was not impressed. vw dealers are often a pain as it is. they visit the shop more often then any wrx. rather have a wrx any day of the week. nice numbers but what a pain. yet nice suspention when moded.

dont get me wrong - I wouldnt trade my scooby for love nor money, but I will say that the golf is a fun little car. and this one is at least as fast as my rex.........for now......
    - DC
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

golf

Ya a friend of mine used to have a 99 vr6 he had a chip and exhaust it was pretty quick..he sold it to buy a rex tho (good choice)
    "addicted to Subaru"

tan
    yeah....Golfs rule

shameless RallyVW plug.

Mine's been trouble-free, never seen the dealer, except for the window regulator recall....so many potholes killed my alignment and took my belly pan....

It's not the fastest thing in the world...with only 90 hp....with gas prices hovering about $2 a gallon...these days I'm glad I sacrifaced peformance for economy...I love making 19 psi of boost at about 2000 rpms....

A little pic from Pikes Peak...made sure there are WRXX's in there....just to make you guys happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0808.jpg  
    Last edited by tan; 06-30-2004 at 05:21 AM.

def. time for utec

Yeah here is my friends Golf Gti. It's a blast to drive and is about even with my WRX before I got accessport.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails turbocars1s.jpg  
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

I had a 1.8T with full exhaust and chip beat my stock WRX from a roll. It made me sad.

I can at least hope i would've taken him from the line. Only good thing that came out this was me wanting to get UTEC and full exhaust.

VW makes some pretty good cars, they aren't sport cars but they're nice.
    Last edited by SlickRick51586; 07-01-2004 at 08:02 AM.

that might have been a drivers race depending on exhaust. TT exhaust is pretty good.

I donno from the roll at 3 i droped into second and gave it some good gas and he pulled 2 cars pretty fast.

TT or rather Techtonics exhaust has a down pipe built into the exhaust system I think for that setup. bet he also had intake. they generally dont pull so hard from what I have sceen. I drove both 2002 wrx and 1.8t jetta. jetta had a ok acceleration but was really more of a dog. but this one had problems I could tell. odd sounds that did not sit well and this was at the local subaru dealer. drove the wrx and pull so much harder and ez to control out of the box. 1.8t is a interesting motor but if everything I here is true there is no point to have one. kinda like the srt-4 it's a dodge and would expect repairs but it's fast no doubt. turbo on the srt-4 spools as ez as 2000rpm. these were the main cars I was looking at what 9 weeks ago. I followed a 1.8t over hwy 2. he had sway bars and full suspention as well as mods. he pulled hard in the streights but I was keeping pace in my 86 with a 2.0L 8v. with crappy kyb struts, not even gs-2 ones at that. he could take a corner but often leaned on the brakes. don't think he knows the road to well. I take it with almost no brakes in the same sections. I also have sceen several newer 1.8t that have suffered car fires. some time ultra minor but caused a complete total of the car as it was at the computer. to many bugs to worry about with that setup.

Originally posted by hybrid gti 2
    they generally dont pull so hard from what I have sceen. I drove both 2002 wrx and 1.8t jetta. jetta had a ok acceleration but was really more of a dog. .
    A Golf GTi weighs a good bit less than a Jetta. And handles wayyyyy better.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

ya I know about that as I have also diven the passat 1.8t. auto. that was the bigist dog I ever drove til i dipped in tiptonic mode. it's like most you guys have the wrx sedan and I got the wagon and it's 100lbs heavier. but from what I know about the 1.8 A3 A4 cars there not that good.

I raced a K04'd chipped exhaust blahblahblah GTi on my way to the island one night and pulled a good car length on him, and I'm still on the stock turbo. They are a ton of fun to drive in though, lots of torque. Feels a little faster then they really are though.
    Scott

k04 correctly setup is suppose to pull 285hp depending on the other parts installed though. but I am not sure if the is to wheels or crank. I often find with vw things it's crank hp.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.