Camaro SS encounter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Camaro SS encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was coming home one week night at around 11 on a 3 lane road. I was driving normally, which ...

Camaro SS encounter

I was coming home one week night at around 11 on a 3 lane road. I was driving normally, which is about 10mph over. All of a sudden i catch some bright lights in my rear view and a few second later a dark green camaro SS passes me. Not one to be passed i speed up and ride next to him to see if we can catch a light and we do. Since I have only had the car for about 3 weeks I was still really sketchy on street starting. Once the light turned green I tried to slip the clutch and get a good start, but i let it up too soon and bogged the rpms. His tires burned and he got about a car length ahead of me. But once the turbo kicked in at about 3.3k i caught right back up with him. We got up to about 50 until we hit another light. Once that turned green we raced again and again i bogged the rpms. After 2 more lights he rolls down his window and asks "hey man do you have nitrous or something?" That just made me smile (I love this turbo AWD ) after that light i finally got a good start and killed him. His engine didn't sound stock, at least an intake from what i could hear

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah

Lay the smack down. What year Camero was it since the SS's are suppose to be fast. Bogging for you and spinning tire for him was all that but at least it was closer. I need to go aganist a 2003 SS on a 10mph roll and launch and see how I do.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Re: Yeah

Originally posted by chuglobal
    Lay the smack down. What year Camero was it since the SS's are suppose to be fast. Bogging for you and spinning tire for him was all that but at least it was closer. I need to go aganist a 2003 SS on a 10mph roll and launch and see how I do.
    You have some awesome 0-60 times! How are you doing in the 1/4?

Yo

I haven't been to the tracks since I did my 4.8sec however I expect to do 13.6+/- 1/4. I usually don't care about my 1/4 mile since I can't use those figures during daily driving however I do 0-60 ALL the time. I'm gonna have my bike on the roof the next time at the drag strip and plan on doing 13.7 w/ the bike on the roof and 13.5-13.6 w/out. I don't think I'll get below 13.5 and definitely will be below 13.8.
    I ran last time on 3/4 tank of gas ( way too much ), spare tire, tools, etc w/ a MBC and uppipe and go 14.0 all the time. So I figure if I can drop my 0-60 .3 I should be able to get 13.6 or 13.7 reasonably.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Bogging off the line and still able to out pull an SS?

What are your mods?

You must be running some serious modifications to pull on a SS after you bogged from the line. My brother has a 99 C5 HT Corvette, and we raced twice this week. The firs time we ran I had him to 80 or so and then he flew by me like I was standing still. Keep in mind, that the Corvette had been sitting in a warehouse for more than a year with the battery disconnected. Yesterday, I decide to run my brother again. He has been driving the car for the last week and the ECU has already recycled. Well the race took place last night, and letís just says that I did not fare to well against him the second time. We both launched very hard and, I pulled half a car on him to 65 mph. Then the mugging took place. He instantly put 2 cars on me to 85 and 4 cars to 100 mph. The SS has just as much hp to the wheels as Corvettes. Our cars are nice rides, and do react very well to modifications, but these LS1 are just a beast. Good job anyway. I always said that the driver makes the car fast not the engine. If you are stock or have modifications similar to mine, then you should pat yourself on the back. You are a pretty good driver then.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

What 2003's? It's over baby, peace, out circa 2002 for the Camero's and the Firebirds. Chevy/GM wants to focus on soccer moms, rednecks and gaucho bato's so besides the Vette, the sports stuff is going out the door....
    Death to all you wiggy-wiggy white boys

yeah...I have the listed mods and I just oh so very slightly pull on a comaro SS once we get rolling. They're very fast cars in a straight line.
    Orin's 2002 WRX Features.....
    Injen Cold Air Intake, M2 Up-Pipe, TurboXS Blow Off Valve, M2 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, M2 Up-pipe, Unichip (Tuned by Cobbtuning)
    VF30 Turbo, Walbro Fuel Pump, STI Fuel Injectors, 18" Konig Tantrums, Wings West Pro Wing, etc...

Re: Yo

Originally posted by chuglobal
    I haven't been to the tracks since I did my 4.8sec however I expect to do 13.6+/- 1/4. I usually don't care about my 1/4 mile since I can't use those figures during daily driving however I do 0-60 ALL the time. I'm gonna have my bike on the roof the next time at the drag strip and plan on doing 13.7 w/ the bike on the roof and 13.5-13.6 w/out. I don't think I'll get below 13.5 and definitely will be below 13.8.
    I ran last time on 3/4 tank of gas ( way too much ), spare tire, tools, etc w/ a MBC and uppipe and go 14.0 all the time. So I figure if I can drop my 0-60 .3 I should be able to get 13.6 or 13.7 reasonably.
    With all your modifications, how is it that you lost to a Z28 (even though your ECU wasn't programmed for optimal performance) and yet he beat an SS? Isn't the SS faster? I mean, dude didn't post his mods so maybe he's got something I can't see...not trying to flame, start a fight, or even call BS...just curious. thanks

For some reason, I donít believe that the track manager will allow you to run with a bike on the roof of your car.
    Last edited by Drod; 07-26-2002 at 09:49 AM.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

Some F-body info

1996 and 1997 SS had the LT1. 6 speed or automatic, they are about a 14.0 second car at 98-99 mph when stock. As previously stated, that's dependent on the driver. Some a tad quicker, some a bit slower. Easily identified by the black, non-flush headlights.

1998-2000 SS has the flush headlights and the LS1. M6 (manual 6 speed) or A4 (automatic 4 speed) they will run 13.4-13.8 when stock.

2001-2002 SS has the LS6 intake (from the Z06), and a slightly different cam. They will run 13.2-13.4 when stock. I drove a friends stock 2002 SS to a 13.4. He got a 13.2 out of it. They move when driven right.

In general, the automatics trap at a lower MPH than the 6 speeds, but run the same ET since they are easier to launch.

If you guys see the flat stock exhaust tips, chances are it's stock and you've got a good shot. Modified, and it depends how much he spent.

Similar story for the TransAms, WS6's, Formulas, and Firehawks through the years.

Know your "enemy".

-----------------
    Dan00Hawk, moderator for the Midwest F-Body Association ubb.mfba.org

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

the camaro i raced wasnt new, it must have been late 80's early 90's from what i could tell. I'm only running with a cold air intake right now. I'm sure if we would have gone more than 60' i would have got stomped.

The "dark green" color was only available on the SS in the LT1 era (96-97). The SS has the hood scoop, and a slightly raised spoiler. Z28 has a flat hood and flat spoiler. 92 and earlier, the Camaros were in the IROC body style that most of us are familar with (see downstate Alabama for rusty examples featuring mullet betrothed drivers).

So it sounds like you ran into an LT1 SS based on your description. And I can easily admit that you would be a good run with it up through 2nd gear if you both blew the launch. Nice job, and good driving the rest of the way though!

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I raced a 2002 SS Camaro the weekend i got my car. I had just installed the boost controller, and my exhaust was also on.

We raced from a dead stop, (first week i started driving a 5-speed) i spun it up to 4.5grand and we took off, i stayed in front of him the whole time, i can't remember if i kept walking away or if he just stayed with me not be able to pass me.

I was also running 16psi.

I raced an '02 six speed SS last week.... from a dead stop I killed him off the line... stayed ahead the whole time BUT, he was quickly catching me top end... say around 100mph or so... he would have passed, perhaps around 110-115 had we not ran out of road.... I got the win, but I knew he was faster, just not quicker.... there is a difference. I know my WRX's limits.

My best quarter mile is 13.097... and this SS was catching me... my point? It will take one heck of a fast WRX to keep ahead of a new SS the whole time... especially getting around 90+...

I would think that a WRX would have to run mid to high 12s to beat an SS running low low 13s... I am talking about top end racing or from a roll.

In the quarter mile they are traction limited... we are not. There traps prove their power though... 107++ STOCK.

def
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast