96-99 M3 or new STi? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 96-99 M3 or new STi? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by 2004JadeSTi If you're even considering a BMW M3, hold out and drop the extra coin for a ...

Originally posted by 2004JadeSTi
    If you're even considering a BMW M3, hold out and drop the extra coin for a E46 M3. Believe me, if you spend that much on a E36 as the price you've stated, you'll regret it SO much. Aside from the nearly 100hp bump in power, you'll get more goodies and a newer platform.

Not to say you shouldn't get the STi, I love mine more and more everyday, but if you go the bratwurst route, get the E46.
    There's a 30 thousand dollar difference between the E36 he's looking at and a new E46. That might be something to consider If he's got that much money, just get the E36 M3 AND the STI
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can probably get a used 2001 e46 m3 for 30k-40k.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Originally posted by ilivas
    You can probably get a used 2001 e46 m3 for 30k-40k.
    EXACTLY!

sti vs M3 is purely opinion and debate..... but it sounds like this guy wants the whole package of luxury and performance.

A new or even slightly used STI is going to run right around $30,000. why not just drop the extra 5-6 grand down on a used E46 M3. although it will be used, it will have better top end, similar drag performance and better handling... since he lives in SOCAL who cares about AWD.....

i think the extra money over the STI is worth it, because of the luxury and refinement you get. Just my .02 though
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

E46 M3 GTR = bad ass
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    EXACTLY!

sti vs M3 is purely opinion and debate..... but it sounds like this guy wants the whole package of luxury and performance.

A new or even slightly used STI is going to run right around $30,000. why not just drop the extra 5-6 grand down on a used E46 M3. although it will be used, it will have better top end, similar drag performance and better handling... since he lives in SOCAL who cares about AWD.....

i think the extra money over the STI is worth it, because of the luxury and refinement you get. Just my .02 though
    The m3 will pull much more ******* too. Damn, they look so bad ass. I wish I could have one
    Mods

lol now you guys got me started on an e46. I really dont know bout e46 tho. More money, same performance, and thing is the potential of STi to m3 is alot different. if i got any m3 id leave power stock, and do much as i can on suspension. if i got an STi, id go semi nuts on engine and semi nuts on suspension, and probably whop on m3's(e36 or e46) all day.

Actually I'm not too interested in luxury, refinement is nice, but I'm really just looking for "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

Originally posted by DinoGuan
    lol now you guys got me started on an e46. I really dont know bout e46 tho. More money, same performance, and thing is the potential of STi to m3 is alot different. if i got any m3 id leave power stock, and do much as i can on suspension. if i got an STi, id go semi nuts on engine and semi nuts on suspension, and probably whop on m3's(e36 or e46) all day.

Actually I'm not too interested in luxury, refinement is nice, but I'm really just looking for "The Ultimate Driving Machine"
    honestly..... if you are not looking for quality, refinement, luxury, in a car then i dont think you will truely be able to appreciate an M3... your probably better off with an STI then.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Trust me, drive an e46 m3. It'll change your mind about everything you just said.
    Mods

honestly..... if you are not looking for quality, refinement, luxury, in a car then i dont think you will truely be able to appreciate an M3... your probably better off with an STI then.
    See I absolutely appreciate quality and refinement, and think luxury is nice. Thats the thing. I hold the value of a cars performance higher than the value of a car's luxury, however I would enjoy it. But its not my top priority. So I'm kinda in the grey zone where I'm hoping the car I drive will surprise me and show me that I really want X ammount of luxury, or no ammount of luxury. I've had my rex for almost a year now, and love the ****giggles out of it. I've spent some time in a8's and merc 500's. and they are impressive too, but im just not too sure how they factor in for me. Another thing is I like the idea of a relativley cheap car to maintain, I'm not too excited about maintaing any bmw.

Maintenance isn't that hard. You just do the usual maintenance as you would any car. An M3 is WAY more fun to drive than an STi. It handles better, accelerates faster, it pulls harder, looks better, etc.
    Mods

STI

Originally posted by DinoGuan
    See I absolutely appreciate quality and refinement, and think luxury is nice. Thats the thing. I hold the value of a cars performance higher than the value of a car's luxury, however I would enjoy it. But its not my top priority. So I'm kinda in the grey zone where I'm hoping the car I drive will surprise me and show me that I really want X ammount of luxury, or no ammount of luxury. I've had my rex for almost a year now, and love the ****giggles out of it. I've spent some time in a8's and merc 500's. and they are impressive too, but im just not too sure how they factor in for me. Another thing is I like the idea of a relativley cheap car to maintain, I'm not too excited about maintaing any bmw.
    heres my advice:

- forget about the E36. from everything you have described, the bmw wont make up for what you expect from an STI. the STI will be better in EVERY performance aspect except handling, and some struts and springs will the make the STI right on par with the M3.

- go test drive an E46. its more money but WELL WELL WELL worth in my opinion. its just about as fast as an STI, handles better, smoother acceleration, great top end pull and everyday smoothness of ride quality.. not to mentin the refinement, amentities, and luxury. i think you might be very impressed by 2001 M3 or something like that. test the M3 and then immediatly after test the STI and see what you think
    Just call me Clark Kent

heres my advice:

- forget about the E36. from everything you have described, the bmw wont make up for what you expect from an STI. the STI will be better in EVERY performance aspect except handling, and some struts and springs will the make the STI right on par with the M3.

- go test drive an E46. its more money but WELL WELL WELL worth in my opinion. its just about as fast as an STI, handles better, smoother acceleration, great top end pull and everyday smoothness of ride quality.. not to mentin the refinement, amentities, and luxury. i think you might be very impressed by 2001 M3 or something like that. test the M3 and then immediatly after test the STI and see what you think
    word!

I've yet to see people who got the E46 M3 switch to the STi, instead they bought the STi or another fun car as a second car most of the time. And I've seen quite some people switch from modded WRX to E46 M3 and start modding the M3.

just go test drive the new E46 M3 if you can find a good one at a good price. A little higher mileage one from 2001 and 2002 is between $35-40k depending on the options.

of course the mods on the BMW or MB or any Euros will be more expensive, but they also give great performance for the $$ spent. There's turbo and s/c available for the E36 M3, and s/c for the E46 M3 that will give you some amazing numbers.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

LoL cant believe my beloved subie board is all telling me to go out and get a bimmer. bleh i guess ill have to give an e46 a fair shot.

My previous car was a '95 e36 m3 and now I drive a STi. All I can say is get the STi, you won't regret it. The STi is alot faster, feels more nimble(even tho both weigh about the same, might have something to do with the heavy steering on the m3), and is just basically more raw. The last m3 that was as raw as the STi is, was the e30 m3 and it seems each iteration gets further and further away from what the original e30 m3 was. I guess thats what people that buy bimmers nowadays want tho, luxury performance, plus they have to justify their prices somehow.

Anyhow if you are looking into a 97 m3 with 55k miles it should cost nowhere near 25k, should be more like 16-17k. Also all I have to say about maintainance is "Bentley manual". If you want to work on your own bimmer the bentley is indispensible. Step-by-step instructions with torque specs and if I remember correctly part #'s.

As far as electrical gremlins go, mine experienced a couple(battery dying in the winter, fuel guage would always malfuction, etc), but mine was a first model year in the U.S. So by the time the '97 model rolled around bmw had pretty much worked out all the kinks. So really only thing to worry about on those cars is the infamous "money shift". Ask ne e36 m3 driver what that is and they'll know.

another thing with the e46 m3 is don't expect to get much more power outta that engine. You could try FI, but I wouldn't suggest it with the super high compression its running already. That and the fact that '01-early '02 e46 m3's were blowing their engines on the track, all stock. They've since had a recall done and the problem is fixed, but your never know.

Hope that makes your decision a bit easier
    Last edited by wewu; 06-29-2004 at 10:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast