Corvette Encounter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Corvette Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I guess more fun is moving my way. I fellow employee of mine and I were coming back from ...

Cool Corvette Encounter

Well I guess more fun is moving my way. I fellow employee of mine and I were coming back from lunch ... umm all you can eat. Well we're sitting on Indian Trail waiting for turn left onto Oakbrook Pkwy. Well ironically I saw the "rice" Civic SI making a right also onto Oakbrook from the other side of Indian Trail so I was hoping I would lay the smack down. I was the 2nd car at the light and we both make the turn and the Civic goes but I'm stuck behind this slow car infront of me in the left lane. Well I turn on my blinkers as usual and look over the my right to see and ironically a new Corvette was sitting right next to me staring at me. The Corvette "tries" to show off and jumps on the gas. I look over at my friend and just smile and say "Umm ... we're gonna have some fun before we get back to work" Well I pull into thr right lane behind the Corvette however he's already like 4 cars ahead of me and I jump on the gas in 2nd. My friend was like "Damn that Corvette is not pulling away!" I knew the corner was coming up ... long sweeping right corner so I just stay on the gas and switch to 3rd. I had to slow down 3 times in the middle of the turn because the Corvette could handle it. I almost ran into him because he was going too SLOW. Basically I'd jump 1-1.5 cars behind him and lay off the gas, then back on, then back off, back on, back off, etc. You could see his reactions through the rear view mirros like ... "Umm what the hell? I thought that WRX was a "rice" boy?" Well finally out of the turn I'm doing 80+ in a 45mph so I slow back down to 50 as my normal driving.
    I'm sure it was NOT a Z06 but it was FUN. It's just more satisying to know that these "RWD" performance cars won't take their toys close to the limits. My friends knew I would have passed the Corvette in the turn if there wasn't a car blocking the left lane. 2 for today already ... I wonder who will be the 3rd for today?
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Most Z06 owners that I know actually drive their cars. If that were a Z06, he would've lost you with ease. They pull over 1G on the skidpad and have MAD HP too!

-Jim

Nice to see you again Rich.

I had a Corvette encounter the other day on the highway, unfortunately, my wife was in the car with me and I couldn't take advantage of it. She thinks racing is immature and stupid. What the hell does she know?
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Jello-

While I was at home on vacation, my old man let me borrow his 2000 Vette for the week and let me tell you, what a great ride. She halls a$$ off the line and I wouldnt recommend a stock WRX taking one on unless you want to be the kill.
    However, it wasnt as fast in the upper gears, so if you're already roarin down the road, have plenty of boost etc, you can give one a run for its money till you top out.

Jut my thoughts.

-RR

Originally posted by RedRex666
    Jello-

While I was at home on vacation, my old man let me borrow his 2000 Vette for the week and let me tell you, what a great ride. She halls a$$ off the line and I wouldnt recommend a stock WRX taking one on unless you want to be the kill.
    However, it wasnt as fast in the upper gears, so if you're already roarin down the road, have plenty of boost etc, you can give one a run for its money till you top out.

Jut my thoughts.

-RR
    But if you're running Stage 4 or better you can take them

Definetly!

If you were running a stage 4 you'd embarass the poor fool off the line
    The only bad part is, that the Vette can go about 190mph or so...cant do that in a WRX

-I'll settle for off the line

My corvette story ended up with him taking a turn over 70 mph and loosing it, then ending up in a ditch. Now I have to go to court as a witness because he was charged with reckless. I wasn't even racing him, he was just showing off.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

how much does a stage 4 cost? and how tough is it to install?

Ummm...

I figured I would have been eaten by a Z06 on a roll especially since I have only a "Stage 1.5" and the .5 because I don't have a ECU. Just be safe ... Corvettes may pull 1G on the skid pad but on in dry conditions ... we know the rest of the story. I was just surprised that the boy was scared to take the corner fast especually since he was trying to show off to me?
    2004 STI White/Gold

RSXracer200
    the regular C5 vette still makes 350hp at the crank and u with your mods make maybe (being generous) 290 hp at the crank...if your making even 290 at the crank then that would mean your getting about 240 to the wheels (again being generous) while the vette will get about 310 to the wheels. even a C5 vette pulls
    .93 on the skid pad and on top of everything else they are more aero dynamic then a wrx. make no mistake even a stock C5 will beat you with ease willing a somewhat compitent driver.

sooo all i have to say to this post is

hey guys....shot down another one

Shizzity Shizzam.
    Way to show him up RSXracer.

Thumbs up LOL

I get a kick out of folks who feel the need to analyze and then comment on things they perceive a post to say, as if what they had to say held weight and importance. It is to laugh.

Good post Chuglobal I understood the point you were making about the driver of the Vette.

Pete

PS:Went to your page very cool as is your wagon.
    Blitz Turbo Timer, TurboXS mbc, uppipe, Samco intercooler hoses, TurboXS Unichip (stage 1), TurboXS intake, Vishnu downpipe.

Haha...

I just ignore some of the ignorant post ... point being ... when cars are fast, it's up to the driver. I figure M3, Vettes, Vipers, Porsches 911, etc are all faster than us by paper however when you're on the street it's all about reaction time, skills, and balls. I'm guessing I make 265 hp at the crank ... I try to be realistic since there' NO point in rounding up. I just gauge myself and most may know. Corvette this, Viper that, Porsche, this, M3 that ... I don't really care. It's just fun to watch their facial reaction from the rear view mirror when a sedan w/ a back rack and more that 1 person into the car is catching them at a fast pace through a corner or some on the straights.
    2004 STI White/Gold

on the street it's all about reaction time, skills, and balls.
    Don't forget the BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were, in fact, pulling on a standard (350hp) C5, then you have more power than you are letting on. Either that or the guy was short shifting. And yes, I understand your intent about the driver...driver is the end-all in performance cars.

Maybe I should have brought the C5 to the Dragon meet...we could have made a few runs on the skyway

VV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast