Corvette Encounter - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Corvette Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Chuglobal races more than anyone else here. I'm not a big fan of street racing, but I don't mind mixing ...

Chuglobal races more than anyone else here. I'm not a big fan of street racing, but I don't mind mixing it up a bit if conditions are right. The thing is, almost nobody else wants to do the same.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Umm ...

Who me ... I never "street race?" It's all about fun ... just have fun and be safe. I was expecting the Corvette to pull hard but it just seems that many people don't wanna drive their cars like it "could" be driven even w/ in the safety zone. I'm not a fan of high speed racing such as hwy ... never really got into it ... but quick low speed racing is more my forte. I'll have no problem going w/ you on the DRAGON vs. the Skyway because correcting a problem at 50mph is much easier than 110mph ... from experience May.
    The M3 guys invited me up to a weekend drive w/ them ... I suggested the DRAGON. It's right at 3hrs from us ... how much tire do I wanna eat up.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Re: Haha...

Originally posted by chuglobal
    when you're on the street it's all about reaction time, skills,
    I can 100% support this. Richard, I think you should post up your r/t's when you went to the track last time. If I remember right, they were VERY good. From stoplight races, it's all about who get's to the end first (much like street racing). You can have a 11 sec car and have a sh*tty r/t and the car that's slower w/a driver that has a faster r/t is going to be the winner given that it gets across the line first. (Isn't that the same concept that bracket racing uses?).

Anyhow, to those that are doubtful about a wrx taking on a corvette, I have a friend that owns a 2001 zo6 and his best times on stock tires are 13.1XX at SDR on race gas and race weight. That same night, he told me that there was a black wrx running high 12's w/ONLY 75shot nitrous. Although, not common, there was a wrx with vishnu stage 0 running 13's flat. (search i-club). Stage 4's or those with fuel and turbo upgrades (or just N2O) can run 12's easily. 11's are just around the corner, actually a few cars have achieved this. Sure, on the highway we may lose our advantage of awd and tall 4th and 5th gears don't help at all either, but that's not where the wrx shines. Like every car, the wrx has it's niche where it shines...EX: big turbo supra's (ex: t88, t78, t66, etc..) tend to be dogs at the strip, (like the saying goes, what do 600, 700, 800 hp supra's have in common? 12 sec 1/4miles), but if you take them up on the highway at high speeds...
    Last edited by AmSFighter; 08-01-2002 at 09:17 AM.
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

Re: Re: Haha...

Not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but I'm not doubting a highly modified WRX will beat a Corvette/Viper/Whatever. But last I checked Chuglobal wasn't running N2O or a bigger turbo. I was just saying that if he was pulling on one in gear, then he is making more power than he thinks he is. I'm not speaking out my ass here...my driveway:

VV

Originally posted by AmSFighter

I can 100% support this. Richard, I think you should post up your r/t's when you went to the track last time. If I remember right, they were VERY good. From stoplight races, it's all about who get's to the end first (much like street racing). You can have a 11 sec car and have a sh*tty r/t and the car that's slower w/a driver that has a faster r/t is going to be the winner given that it gets across the line first. (Isn't that the same concept that bracket racing uses?).

Anyhow, to those that are doubtful about a wrx taking on a corvette, I have a friend that owns a 2001 zo6 and his best times on stock tires are 13.1XX at SDR on race gas and race weight. That same night, he told me that there was a black wrx running high 12's w/ONLY 75shot nitrous. Although, not common, there was a wrx with vishnu stage 0 running 13's flat. (search i-club). Stage 4's or those with fuel and turbo upgrades (or just N2O) can run 12's easily. 11's are just around the corner, actually a few cars have achieved this. Sure, on the highway we may lose our advantage of awd and tall 4th and 5th gears don't help at all either, but that's not where the wrx shines. Like every car, the wrx has it's niche where it shines...EX: big turbo supra's (ex: t88, t78, t66, etc..) tend to be dogs at the strip, (like the saying goes, what do 600, 700, 800 hp supra's have in common? 12 sec 1/4miles), but if you take them up on the highway at high speeds...

good call in that picture VV, leave the WRX near the back to take out in all kinds of weather and leave the vette for those pristine hot days where even a top heavy wrangler can corner at 60mph cause its fused to the hot pavement.

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

I never drive the Vette with the top up, so I guess you're right

VV

Originally posted by fengshui
    good call in that picture VV, leave the WRX near the back to take out in all kinds of weather and leave the vette for those pristine hot days where even a top heavy wrangler can corner at 60mph cause its fused to the hot pavement.

-c

Re: Re: Re: Haha...

Originally posted by VetteVert
    Not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but I'm not doubting a highly modified WRX will beat a Corvette/Viper/Whatever.
    VV

VV, my post was not meant for anyone in particular...just to the general public that still doubts the potential of the wrx. You are probably one of the few that can make a fair judgement on how the wrx goes up against american muscle. I'm just tired of the threads where they bash the wrx stating that it could NEVER beat a camaro ss, mustang cobra, supra tt, etc... On a side note, It's funny to see people STILL being surprised at how quick a 1g dsm can be made to be and those have been around a very long time. I just wish the rex can get the respect it deserves. I still get the "is that the new hyundai, daewoo, mitsubishi, etc..." and the "ohh, you think you can hang with me?" look...until I pull on them.
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

Re: Haha...

I just ignore some of the ignorant post ... point being ... when cars are fast, it's up to the driver. I figure M3, Vettes, Vipers, Porsches 911, etc are all faster than us by paper however when you're on the street it's all about reaction time, skills, and balls. I'm guessing I make 265 hp at the crank ... I try to be realistic since there' NO point in rounding up. I just gauge myself and most may know. Corvette this, Viper that, Porsche, this, M3 that ... I don't really care. It's just fun to watch their facial reaction from the rear view mirror when a sedan w/ a back rack and more that 1 person into the car is catching them at a fast pace through a corner or some on the straights.

Anouther reason is the the price of those cars. I know that I payed alot of money for my car and I don't want it to end up in a ditch. Not to say your car is cheap.
    I almost never race at freeway speeds. It just doesn't make sence. My car will only go 137mph due to elec. rev limit So that means a stock (insert car) integra, maxima, ect. could beat me on top speed if he had the "balls" I save it for the track.

P.S. did you get those 0-60 times on the street or on the strip?

Corvettes = slow. Well, I shouldn't say that since fast and slow are all relative. How about this:

In the world of the WRX, Corvettes = slow

2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Originally posted by RSXSucks
    Corvettes = slow. Well, I shouldn't say that since fast and slow are all relative. How about this:

In the world of the WRX, Corvettes = slow

I can't believe you actually have motor functions. Take a ride in a '92+ Vette before you start making statements like this. I'm not talking **** here either - I owned a '92 Vette.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

I beat a new Z-06 driver in my Lightning when I was at max mods (running 96 octane on the street! ) What an expensive hobby... Had a "flip chip" that had 2 programs, one set up for 93 octane and the other which was wild and blow 96-100 octane. This was my WEEKEND vehicle and not daily driver.

He could drive. Well. But brute HP/TQ and my Nitto drag radials did him in on the street. I believe that the same thing could be produced on the track (as I have before many times)

However, the Vette's aren't unbeatable, even the much ballyhoo'ed Z-06, but with a WRX it's not an easy prospect. Vette's can hook hard and are very aerodynamic. They also have a low center of gravity and a excellent suspension setup - which makes them a formadible foe at high speeds in the twisties too.

str
    i raced a newer vette when i was stock and he ripped me. i didn't launch properly but he still would have got me. he let me get ahead of him on some twisties and i did stay ahead of him. when we hit straight he slowly pulled past me at about 80mph. pretty fast cars.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Yeah ...

I never saw a point on going past 70mph the majority of the time and definitely not more than 100mph ... which is very RARE for me. I feel that since I sit between 0-70 during 90% of my drives that I want the most power in the power band.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Re: Yeah ...

I never saw a point on going past 70mph the majority of the time and definitely not more than 100mph ... which is very RARE for me. I feel that since I sit between 0-70 during 90% of my drives that I want the most power in the power band.
    See, I like this guy. He shows just how to deal with cars like the Corvette who's drivers think they are fast. That is, until they come up against a WRX!
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Haha...

You make me laugh . We'll everyone wants to go 150+ ( exaggerating ) but you get my point. Actually if I had a car that did 0-70 in ummm <3 or 0-100 in like <5 I'd be happy. It can't slow down after 100.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast