WRX vs. heavily modded Typhoon
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs. heavily modded Typhoon within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A friend of mine is having a BBQ this weekend and he asked me to bring the rex down. He ...

WRX vs. heavily modded Typhoon

A friend of mine is having a BBQ this weekend and he asked me to bring the rex down. He has a friend with a heavily modded Typhoon who wants to check out the rex and run me. He seems like a cool guy as he respects my car and just wants to run for fun.

I'm running stage 4 VF34 so, of course he is going to hand me my a$$ on a silver platter. That's right, I'm going to lose to something that looks like a GMC Jimmy in front of a ton of people.

Still, it should be fun and I'll post the results after the race.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let us know. Those things are fast, but ugly.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Originally posted by 5spdfrk
    Let us know. Those things are fast, but ugly.
    Actually its not that easy to get them past the 12's...they start breaking drivetrain parts like crazy.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

aren't typhoons AWD ? or is it just the cyclone?

I've seen them in the low 12s. That is plenty fast to me. Plus it looks like a jimmy (and essentially is). So to be that fast and look like that is different.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Originally posted by EvilCerealBoX
    aren't typhoons AWD ? or is it just the cyclone?
    I am pretty sure both are AWD.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Originally posted by 5spdfrk
    I am pretty sure both are AWD.
    Both are AWD...my cousins husband has a heavily modded Typhoon running low 12's. Had some runs in the high 11's. It's a beast!

Typhoon = SUV

Syclone = PU Truck (small)

They run a 4.3L V6 Chevy engine based on the small block chevy. Its basically a chevy 350 CID with the back 2 cylinders missing.

Its turbo charged and intercooled.

Its the fastest car I have ever raced on the street. They go from 0-100 amazingly well. After 100 they are not that quick. The gearing is all 0-100.

A basic chip can move the HP and TQ up a lot. Easy to get over 500 lb ft of TQ in them.

The are AWD.

If he's that modded, he will spank the heck out of you. But it will be fun trying!
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

I know those Syclone's are no joke, I think the Typhoon is pretty close in performance. I couldn't imagine a heavily modified one. I'll never forget seeing the article in Car and Driver when they first came out.

"0 - 60 in 4.6 seconds in the rain!"

Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Originally posted by 03Cobra

Its the fastest car I have ever raced on the street. They go from 0-100 amazingly well. After 100 they are not that quick. The gearing is all 0-100.

Nevermind that its a flying brick at that point.

I do like them, and have been a HUGE fan of TR's since 87 when I was 4 and saw one. Didn't know then what I know now... and Im just a bigger fan now.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

They are reguarded to most as the Truck version of the Grand National. I almost bought one a few years ago instead of my 03 WRX. Then I read up, and they do break drivetrain parts quite easily with all that torque. For all those that think it is ugly. Compare it to a stock Jimmy or S-15/Sonoma of the day. They look mucho better. Can we get an outcome on this race?

Nick
    Hummer Open Top
    Dodge Viper ACR

Originally posted by White Out
    Can we get an outcome on this race?
    Nick
    Assuming the guy shows up tomorrow you will. Apparently he's fixing something on the truck so he might not be able to bring it. Still, it's not like there's a ton of suspense. If he doesn't break something he'll probably walk me like a bad dog. We'll see...

Well, the guy was unable to fix the ignition wire on the truck in time so we were unable to run.

Maybe someday in the future...

darn I was looking for a good kill story.

Grab some NOS and maybe a bigger turbo. You'll be ready when the time comes.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.