Finally a Porsche - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Finally a Porsche within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; That car would be a blast to have today! OMG nice....

That car would be a blast to have today! OMG nice.
    Scott in Houston

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

when i just had an intake and exhaust on my STi (probably about 280whp), a 911 4S got the jump on me (didnt think he was going to try to race me at 5am), but i was reeling him in about halfway down the block where i had to then slow down to turn off to go to work. they arent that fast. you will smoke one.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Just to add to the thread since it's about Porsches, here's my my current fun car....

It's "pretty" fast.

I've never had anyone in a WRX want to 'play' however, so I have no comparision b/w the two...

It was a rainy day, so I washed and waxed it in my garage, that's why the picture is kind of odd. hehe
    Scott in Houston

Thats a Porche turbo not a carrera thats a whole different story.
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

Originally posted by audirs6
    Thats a Porche turbo not a carrera thats a whole different story.
    Is it really!? Sweet! hehe

I never said it was anything similar, I was just saying I have never played with a WRX.

I've owned 2 other 996's, both C2s, so I'm very familiar with the performance of them. I have significant track time in both. They are a blast!
    Scott in Houston

Cheater!

You're starting with deeper pockets!!!

Sweet ride...don't you spray your entire garage when you wash your car, though?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by Trailboss
    Cheater!

You're starting with deeper pockets!!!

Sweet ride...don't you spray your entire garage when you wash your car, though?
    Cheater?! I didn't start with deep pockets I can promise you that... hehe

I washed inside my garage because it's been raining for a week straight and I really needed to wax it, so I pulled it in to wash and wax. The key is, don't use an attachment on your hose. Just let the water run out of the end of the hose. It's MUCH more effective for rinsing (you'll have way less water to dry off the car) and it doesn't spray anything around so it doesn't cover my garage with water... it just pours down.

You'd be amazed at how much easier drying your car is when you do that. The trickle down effect pulls the water with it. It's especially good on a well waxed car.
    Scott in Houston

Originally posted by Scott n Houston
    Just to add to the thread since it's about Porsches, here's my my current fun car....

It's "pretty" fast.

I've never had anyone in a WRX want to 'play' however, so I have no comparision b/w the two...

It was a rainy day, so I washed and waxed it in my garage, that's why the picture is kind of odd. hehe
    sheesh! I definitely need me one of those.....

That car is teH SexY!

What do you use for waxing and stuff????
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

To wash, I use different car wash soaps... I find that no one is better than the other.

I use micro fibre mits to wash it with as well. No sponge or anything like that.

I dry with a giant micro fibre towel that does the whole car without ever needing to be ringed (is that a word) out or anything. It's awesome! I can do 2 cars with one towel.

I then dry the dirtier places like the engine bay and under the hood with this old regular towel. If I don't do that, water comes out all over and dirties it again when I drive off.

I use 3M Hand Glaze prior to waxing, then wax with Blitz Carnuba wax. It's very durable, and has a good shine.

You can get all the good products at carcareonline.com. (I have no connection, I just like them)
    They are very helpful over the phone too. When I had a bad bug stain that I couldn't seem to get off, they walked me through it on the phone and recommended products etc. They're honest and you'll learn a lot.
    Scott in Houston

To wash, I use different car wash soaps... I find that no one is better than the other.

I use micro fibre mits to wash it with as well. No sponge or anything like that.

I dry with a giant micro fibre towel that does the whole car without ever needing to be ringed (is that a word) out or anything. It's awesome! I can do 2 cars with one towel.

I then dry the dirtier places like the engine bay and under the hood with this old regular towel. If I don't do that, water comes out all over and dirties it again when I drive off.

I use 3M Hand Glaze prior to waxing, then wax with Blitz Carnuba wax. It's very durable, and has a good shine.

You can get all the good products at carcareonline.com. (I have no connection, I just like them)
    They are very helpful over the phone too. When I had a bad bug stain that I couldn't seem to get off, they walked me through it on the phone and recommended products etc. They're honest and you'll learn a lot.
    Thanks for the tips Scott. I just picked up a bottle of Turtle wax (the Platinum Series), and applied that after stripping the old stuff off with dish soap. Used an orbital waxer for the application, and then used a microfiber I picked up (I had no idea what microfiber was, and thought to try it) to buff the car to a shine.

I'll have to keep a lookout for a larger microfiber towel to dry the car off as well, as you mentioned!

I am not an expert at detailing and all that, but I am trying to get past the habit of just passing it through the carwash. Gotta look good with the new forund power now!

May I ask how often you wax??

Also, what is the handglaze? Never heard of that before
    Last edited by jigga; 06-30-2004 at 06:28 AM.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

How often you wax depends on how durable the wax you use is, and what type of conditions your car lives in.

I typically do a full waxing once every 4 - 6 months. Blitz wax is very durable, so I don't need it more often, also, after a wash, I'll wax just a part of it, like the hood, the roof, or the back... or something different each time.
    The hood, rood, and front quarter panels seem to need it the most, so I start with those.

Hand Glaze is a glaze that's a 'filler'. What it does is hides light scratches and swirls in the clear coat.
    It's not a swirl remover, it's less harsh. Removers actually remove minute amounts of paint to fix the damage, a filler, just fills it in so you can't see the swirls or scratches. You must wax over it however right after. It will wash right away otherwise.
    3M Hand Glaze is super easy to use and the results are AMAZING.

For dark colored cars, it's so important to do this. On silver and lighter cars like mine (mine's a gun metal grey), it's needed as often, but it still makes the paint look deep and full.
    Scott in Houston

How often you wax depends on how durable the wax you use is, and what type of conditions your car lives in.

I typically do a full waxing once every 4 - 6 months. Blitz wax is very durable, so I don't need it more often, also, after a wash, I'll wax just a part of it, like the hood, the roof, or the back... or something different each time.
    The hood, rood, and front quarter panels seem to need it the most, so I start with those.

Hand Glaze is a glaze that's a 'filler'. What it does is hides light scratches and swirls in the clear coat.
    It's not a swirl remover, it's less harsh. Removers actually remove minute amounts of paint to fix the damage, a filler, just fills it in so you can't see the swirls or scratches. You must wax over it however right after. It will wash right away otherwise.
    3M Hand Glaze is super easy to use and the results are AMAZING.

For dark colored cars, it's so important to do this. On silver and lighter cars like mine (mine's a gun metal grey), it's needed as often, but it still makes the paint look deep and full.
    I think I'll definitely be needing some of this handglaze you speak of.. Even afer waxing the car, if I looked at the car from a distance, I could see swirl marks in the clearcoat, which was a tad depressing

Is it a commonly available product? Or sis you have to mail order it from your suppliers?
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by jigga
    I think I'll definitely be needing some of this handglaze you speak of.. Even afer waxing the car, if I looked at the car from a distance, I could see swirl marks in the clearcoat, which was a tad depressing

Is it a commonly available product? Or sis you have to mail order it from your suppliers?
    carcareonline.com

That site is awesome.

I think you can find it at auto supply stores, but I've never tried.

You'll LOVE it. The swirls will go away totally.
    Scott in Houston

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.