2002 2003 2004 Wrx

This is a discussion on 2002 2003 2004 Wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How do these stack up? Was there a major hosepower difference? Or just a body style change? Was there any ...

2002 2003 2004 Wrx

How do these stack up? Was there a major hosepower difference? Or just a body style change? Was there any improvements from 02-03?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

same.. no engine changes worth mentioning that I can think of.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I will try and refrain from making fun of you for being such a n00b!! 2002 and 2003 had bug-eye headlights and cool big foglights. 2004's have little foglights and sexier main lights (IMO).
    all wrx models have 227hp except STi which has 300hp.

Originally posted by Spectre186
    I will try and refrain from making fun of you for being such a n00b!!
    Please be nice. Nobody likes a jerk.

Anyway
    the WRX comes with 227hp and 214 ft/lbs of torque.
    the STi comes with 300hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque.

Welcome to the club, by the way
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

217 torque actually
    2004 WR Blue WRX Auto with CBE.

Sorry for being a "noob", but at least I'm not a "tard". I was only asking about the engine. I realize the changes in body style, and I love the 04, but the 03 is the one thats shrunk closer to my budget.

How are aftermarket mods pricewise, intake, intercooler, muffler? I love the deep throaty sound of the WRX and the STi. Are there certain mufflers the let that sound out without turning the volume all the way up? Anybody have strictly STi parts installed?

everyone knows the bug eyes are faster :-D

The silver bug eyes are the fastest of all.
    Totally stock...yep uh huh :P

Originally posted by DRIVER
    everyone knows the bug eyes are faster :-D
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

How are aftermarket mods pricewise, intake, intercooler, muffler? I love the deep throaty sound of the WRX and the STi. Are there certain mufflers the let that sound out without turning the volume all the way up? Anybody have strictly STi parts installed?
    As far as I can tell, all three have the same "internals" and so far, with the exception of any mods that have to deal with the 04 body redesign (i.e. turbo heat chimney, JDM foglights), they also can handle exactly the same engine mods.

That said, there are "stealth" catbacks available, the most popular being the Borla Hush and the GReddy EVO (2). These should get some HP without being too too loud. Actually, I've heard that these are just marginally louder than stock, and I know there's a video clip of the Hush floating around somewhere. I think these both run somewhere in the $450-$550 range.

Most people don't mess with the intake per say except for maybe the snorkelectomy/remove silencer mod. In general, I think the concensus is that you don't really need to remove the intake or mod it unless you plan to generate >300 HP. Pricewise, there are aftermarket intakes available for around $100.

As for intercoolers, again, you don't really *need* to upgrade this, although if you plan to mod the engine, you may want to consider this. Not sure how much it costs - I know there are larger TMIC and there are FMIC - check around on different websites like fastwrx.com and vividracing.com for what's available...

buying a muffler and keeping the stock up and dp is a waste. if you want to have a stock car and make it sound like you actually have some power, go buy a civic. lev vehicles are pimp.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

Re: 2002 2003 2004 Wrx

Originally posted by California_WRX
    How do these stack up? Was there a major hosepower difference? Or just a body style change? Was there any improvements from 02-03?
    I think between 02-03

lighted keyring

I believe the later model '03's have full boost in 1st gear, and the 02's do not. Do some searching you'll find more tidbits.

This will also help:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html

Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

I remember reading somewhere that the bugeye WRX's were a hair faster than the 04's due to the 04's having heavier flywheels or somethin. I'm probably totally wrong but, it was something I heard. Any truth to it???

Originally posted by NJ Halabuhjee
    I remember reading somewhere that the bugeye WRX's were a hair faster than the 04's due to the 04's having heavier flywheels or somethin. I'm probably totally wrong but, it was something I heard. Any truth to it???
    Yes I've heard that too, it supposed to fix the clutch "jutter" problems. My '04 never had this issue so I guess it worked. But I live in Las Vegas where it rarely drops below 20 in the winter.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

i have the borla hush and about to put on the stromung DP and daddys 3rd cat eliminator. also an APS up pipe going in.

cant comment on how the hush will sound after this but for now its pretty hush and looks fairly stock.

you can definately tell its not though. a nice growl.

i recommend it.

i also have the APS CAI (but maybe taking it off once my AP gets in) i like it. No CELS and a little gain in butt dyno. mostly just sounds cool though and looks damn nice.

welcome!
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Aren't their tranny improvements in the later years???
    Don't believe the life you have
    Will be the only one
    You have to let your body sleep
    To let your soul live on

2006 Evo IX MR