ran a modded STi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on ran a modded STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Was out cruising with my buddy and the video camera tonight. Came across a modded STi on the highway. The ...

ran a modded STi

Was out cruising with my buddy and the video camera tonight. Came across a modded STi on the highway. The car looked to have at least exhaust mods and it was LOUD.

I tried to bait him into a 70mph roll, but he kept slowing down...so I ended up next to him at about 57-58mph which is a HORRIBLE place for me to start racing from a roll as second gear ends @ around 62mph. Unfortunately he baited me to his PERFECT starting point.

I had to start in the complete bottom of third...so he beeped and left a bit before the third beep and he pulled about 1.5-2 cars on me through third and into fourth due to me being out of the powerband. About midway through 4th I stopped his pull and he just hung there. Neither of us pulled anymore through the rest of fourth and well into 5th. It was a good close death...and I would have liked to run again from a different speed since our gearing is so much different....oh well, maybe I'll run into him again.

It's all on video but I don't have a place to host vids and I haven't ripped it off my cam yet either..so the vid will have to wait a little while.

With a start around 70mph we probably would have been near dead even since the jump he got at the bottom of my third gear gave him the 1.5-2 car lead and I managed to stop his pull after that.

Vid coming soon!
    03 350Z - intake, test pipes
    Best STOCK E.T. 13.68@102.77mph 2.09 60'
    Best mods E.T. 13.38@103.60mph 1.90 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let me know if you want me to host, I have plenty of space.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Re: ran a modded STi

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
    Was out cruising with my buddy and the video camera tonight. Came across a modded STi on the highway. The car looked to have at least exhaust mods and it was LOUD.

I tried to bait him into a 70mph roll, but he kept slowing down...so I ended up next to him at about 57-58mph which is a HORRIBLE place for me to start racing from a roll as second gear ends @ around 62mph. Unfortunately he baited me to his PERFECT starting point.

I had to start in the complete bottom of third...so he beeped and left a bit before the third beep and he pulled about 1.5-2 cars on me through third and into fourth due to me being out of the powerband. About midway through 4th I stopped his pull and he just hung there. Neither of us pulled anymore through the rest of fourth and well into 5th. It was a good close death...and I would have liked to run again from a different speed since our gearing is so much different....oh well, maybe I'll run into him again.

It's all on video but I don't have a place to host vids and I haven't ripped it off my cam yet either..so the vid will have to wait a little while.

With a start around 70mph we probably would have been near dead even since the jump he got at the bottom of my third gear gave him the 1.5-2 car lead and I managed to stop his pull after that.

Vid coming soon!
    damn thats surprising since i would think a sti is much quicker than a 350z....5 to 1.0 in the 1/4 translates into several cars.

Re: Re: ran a modded STi

Originally posted by matty088
    damn thats surprising since i would think a sti is much quicker than a 350z....5 to 1.0 in the 1/4 translates into several cars.
    Yeah in the 1/4...they went from a roll which is a totally different ball game. Check out the trap speeds on a 350Z vs an STi and then think about how that multiplies the higher mph you start the race.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Apparently he drives better than most Z drivers.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Re: Re: Re: ran a modded STi

Originally posted by SERacing
    Yeah in the 1/4...they went from a roll which is a totally different ball game. Check out the trap speeds on a 350Z vs an STi and then think about how that multiplies the higher mph you start the race.
    forgive my ignorance but i dont know the traps of each car since i own neither. I simply know that one runs 13 flat and the other runs 14 flat....pretty decent difference if u ask me.

take out the awd advantage and 1.5 - 2car win sounds right for a sti at a race as it happened..go 1st gear 20 or 2nd gear 40 ..sti will probably have better advantage that that point also...higher speeds you start...closer z will get

sorry but this question is off topic

...brigumax..i noticed you got an intake..my friend with z has injen cai and he put down 240 whp on a dyno..since you drive a z and all...did his intake help or hurt him??

Bri-was that you on the .orGy back when you had a Max?
    FS: 02 WRX with JDM V7 RA-C

Re: Re: Re: Re: ran a modded STi

forgive my ignorance but i dont know the traps of each car since i own neither. I simply know that one runs 13 flat and the other runs 14 flat....pretty decent difference if u ask me.
    I'm not positive of the traps but iirc they're both in the 100's, the reason the STi hit such good times is the AWD launch which actually hurts it on the top end.
    SIRacing.Net

heh, fairlady

Re: Re: Re: Re: ran a modded STi

VERY well driven STi's can MAYBE hit a 13 flat on a perfect day.

Average 350z's run 14.0....

Don't go comparing the fastest times of one car to the by far average of another.

compare apples to apples...

I trap just about what a stock STi traps...therefore a run from a roll is VERY close.

Originally posted by AwdTurboWrx

sorry but this question is off topic

...brigumax..i noticed you got an intake..my friend with z has injen cai and he put down 240 whp on a dyno..since you drive a z and all...did his intake help or hurt him??
    I have a JWT pop-charger...

I put down 243rwhp bone stock last year...and haven't dyno'd with the intake...but I doubt it adds any noticable HP.

IMO the CAI's actually hurt the VQ35 because it makes the intake path too long. All the 350z's that I've seen run at the track with CAI's run slower times and lower traps than I did stock....same day same conditions.

Originally posted by Need4Boost
    Bri-was that you on the .orGy back when you had a Max?
    yup

I still miss the maxi-pad.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ran a modded STi

Originally posted by SERacing
    I'm not positive of the traps but iirc they're both in the 100's, the reason the STi hit such good times is the AWD launch which actually hurts it on the top end.
    From what I've seen both cars typically trap between 99 and 103mph stock.

The STi I ran was NOT stock though...he had at least exhaust....maybe a boost controller...who knows.

The stock STi exhaust is pretty loud. And with a boost controller I'd think the death would have been worse. Anyone know what an STi with a BC puts out?

Originally posted by ScstealthVR6
    The stock STi exhaust is pretty loud. And with a boost controller I'd think the death would have been worse. Anyone know what an STi with a BC puts out?
    My stock STi is pretty quiet, actually.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.