Ex-Eclipse tips?

This is a discussion on Ex-Eclipse tips? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My Eclipse GSX seems to be coming to the end of its useful life. Since the new Eclipse is so ...

Question Ex-Eclipse tips?

My Eclipse GSX seems to be coming to the end of its useful life. Since the new Eclipse is so lame, I'm putting a deposit down on a new WRX today.

Can you guys tell me what I need to know as an ex-Eclipser? I'm sure some of you must have come from the same experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I graduated from 95 GST last year. I sold my car in the morning on one saturday and bought a WRX in the afternoon without even test driving one. I've done a lot of research before buying one and the result was overwhelmingly good. I guess I trust 'reviews' too much. But no regrets here
    Things I noticed that are different.
    Turbo on WRX is bigger than little T25 on stock 2G DSMs. Coupled with a bigger turbo and AWD(which you have experience of bu not me), acceleration feels much quicker. I had a 16G on my Eclipse so the top end on that car was quite enjoyable but it lacked traction.
    Handling is 10 times better in WRX than an Eclipse IMO. Steering is accurate and suspension is a lot tighter. I haven't had a chance to put bigger tires yet but I've heard that handling gets even better with bigger tires.
    I still like 2G Eclipse's look a lot but WRX is growing on me. This one is a matter of personal taste.
    Now on the important stuff, mods
    WRX aftermarket parts are somewhat expensive! Given that it hasn't been long since it came out here in the US and it's relatively cheap compared to European cars' parts, it still is expensive. I spend around $500 for my Mits. TD05 16G turbo and I just spent over a grand for VF34. Mits. scene has a lot of small custom vendors selling their own stuffs so there are many options to choose from. It seems like WRX scene is slowly heading toward the Mits. way as well. I am seeing a lot of new vnedors popping up here and there. Competition is a good thing
    So there it is. It may be more than you wanted to hear but I think you will throughly enjoy our car. Good luck and have fun

Doug

I used to own Eclipse.

I used to own mid 13sec eclipse turbo.
    I got my wrx 2 weeks ago.

I had 2g eclipse, so I'm going to write something based on 2g.

I already have couple mods.

Wellz.....here's the difference between eclipse and wrx..IMO.
    I'm still a newbie in WRX, so if I'm wrong....someone PLEASE correct me.

1. WRX has TMIC....so there is no upper IC piping and Lower IC piping to be changed to gain HP. Only IC hoses.

2. WRX already has pretty high tech intake, so you won't gain a lot of HP with Intake like eclipse. Some even say that they lost HP by having CAI.

3. Like I said up there. Since there is no Upper intercooler piping that blocks the way like eclipse, WRX can have CAI without having FMIC. For eclipses.....having CAI was only possible with FMIC.

4. WRX has three cat converters. 1 Main Cat before the midpipe of exhaust, one pre cat on up-pipe and one pre cat on downpipe. ( I think) Eclipse only has one.

5. Down pipe does not give much HP like Eclipse. Uppipe gives more HP than down pipe for WRX.

6. I think AWD system is more advanced in WRX than Mitsu. I'm not sure about that.

7. I believe stock turbo of WRX can put up little more ponies than t25.

8. There are bolt on turbos for wRX. Not like 2g eclipse, where you need to buy the turbo(like 16g or 20g) and also buy installation kit to fit it in.

9. WRX is way more comfortable, has two more doors and has a lot more room than eclipse. hee hee..... enjoy you wrx. I know I am.

yeah, there are a lot of eclipse converts. there's a 3g eclipse in my office park here. about twice a month i see him on the way into work and we play.

he's real fast.

dR

I had a 95 GST. It was better at really high speeds than my WRX wagon, 135 mph range.

Other than that, the WRX is superior in every way.

My WRX doesn't break down as often as my Mitsubishi did.

Originally posted by Dougeefresh

WRX aftermarket parts are somewhat expensive! Given that it hasn't been long since it came out here in the US and it's relatively cheap compared to European cars' parts, it still is expensive. I spend around $500 for my Mits. TD05 16G turbo and I just spent over a grand for VF34.
    I have a feeling that there should be some price drops int he next year or so. I am surprised that there isnt anybody selling a combo of Up pipe/downpipe/and Garret turbo. I could see a company make money selling these for 12-1400, and with the many variations of garret wheels any desired combo would be easy.

Re: I used to own Eclipse.

Originally posted by soulsweeper

5. Down pipe does not give much HP like Eclipse. Uppipe gives more HP than down pipe for WRX.

IIRC that's the other way around. The removal of the uppipe cat will give about 7 whp, while the removal of the downpipe cat is about 10-15. It all works much better as a system though. Still CEL issues to deal with (and uppipe fitment issues). Scooby sport right now seems to have the best solution for CELs (that I'm aware of) with their catless exhaust system, and gets great raves as well.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Re: Re: I used to own Eclipse.

Originally posted by madwagon

IIRC that's the other way around. The removal of the uppipe cat will give about 7 whp, while the removal of the downpipe cat is about 10-15. It all works much better as a system though. Still CEL issues to deal with (and uppipe fitment issues). Scooby sport right now seems to have the best solution for CELs (that I'm aware of) with their catless exhaust system, and gets great raves as well.
    i think you'll see better than 7whp from the uppipe. plus FAR lower lag.

dR

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    I am surprised that there isnt anybody selling a combo of Up pipe/downpipe/and Garret turbo.

I am doing just this. It will be more than your quoted estimate, though, because garrett's require an external wastegate. I will keep everyone posted as I get closer though. Check out my website for new stuff in the meantime. It changes once or twice a week.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email