cobb stage 2 sti vs 04 cobra - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on cobb stage 2 sti vs 04 cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by ihaveadent that way you can go fast in a straight line and have a chassis that was ...

Originally posted by ihaveadent
    that way you can go fast in a straight line and have a chassis that was developed after Metallica released their first record.
    Kill'em All - 1983.

Switch Internet Service...
    www.internetable.net

Get your free email account...
    www.emails.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hrm... that's pretty interesting to hear about you getting pulled on like that.

Stock for Stock, I ran against an unfriendly 04 Cobra on the highway with dealer plates on, and both of us gunned it fairly hard. He only pulled a half car length to a car length on me when we both shut down at 120. We went from about 75-80 mph rolls.

Maybe he was being easy on me? I don't know.

What I do know is that the Cobra and the CLK 55 AMG are the only two cars thus far that have put up a fight that I totally lost in.

Signed,
    Charlie

I ran dead even with a new Cobra from 20 - 80 mph in my
    STi. This was before my Utec.
    Thats basically the zone an STi can run with one from a roll. At any speed higher than that a Cobra is going to start pulling away hard. From a dig its a drivers race in the 1/4 mile. The guy driving the STi better know how to launch if he's to have a chance.

I also ran a guy with a Cobra that traps 117 mph and he didn't catch me until about 3/4 track. He then pulled away hard.

But I've also beaten several Z06 Vettes in a full 1/4 mile race in my STi. So anything can happen when you pulling 1.6x - 1.7x sec 60' times and the other car is having traction issues.

I almost bought a New Cobra when I was getting my STi. But I decided that the STi did many more things well. I wanted awd confidence racing from a dig on the street. I also wanted the handling and all weather advantage the STi offers.

On the street it's almost funny how cars don't want to line up against me from a dead stop. They don't mind racing from a roll but from a dig, they always pass.

so then a modded sti vs me ... running 9psi and exhaust... i will most likely loose in the 1/4 right?
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

SGOSWRX:

Lets be honest here. You'll be afraid to run against an Sti if you didn't have one

Edit: from a stop that is
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

My car throws down more hp then almost any sti unless you upgrade the turbo. I ran against one w/my 21psi map and I lost. I never pulled him from any mph. My car also runs strong. IM not 100% sure if he was stock but he was close if not. Maybe his was a freak but I pull on all sti's I have raced. Maybe cobra's in everyone else's neck of the woods are faster. I also always race from a roll, I know from a stop I would win but Im talking about a roll...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

I really have no idea then.

I don't doubt your speed or my own. Maybe it's just one of those things.

Sometimes when you have just the right parts all put together from all different manufacturers etc, they just work out. Maybe he just got a really strong engine or he's just a really good driver. Hehe. I really have no clue on this one.

Signed,
    Charlie

03Cobra:

You just need to get together with your Sti buddy and record multiple runs to prove a point. I'm sure we'll all enjoy it here

Originally posted by mike01svt
    so then a modded sti vs me ... running 9psi and exhaust... i will most likely loose in the 1/4 right?
    If you're really putting down 468 rwhp and you've got some experience with handling that power, it'll be hard to lose to an Sti. Back when I was making 423 rwhp in my GT, I had over 50 passes at the track and my worst pass was something like a 12.4s ET. In that run, I spun like crazy, twisted a little, then bogged. I had a horrible 2.4s 60' time. More typically, I was getting mid/high-11's @120+ mph with a decent launch (1.7-1.8s 60'). I have a Vortech too, and the top end power is sick. My 1/8th mile MPH is higher than what my WRX traps in the 1/4.

But with a combination of poor reaction time (which is a critical factor but hardly mentioned in these forums) and a bad launch, I guess its possible to lose to anybody. You need to spend a lot of time at the track and make a lot of passes, to learn how to tame that beast of yours.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Originally posted by mike01svt
    It depends on wheather or not you can drive. A good driver in a modded STi and a good driver in a modded Cobra: The Cobra *should* win easily every time.

All you really need in the Cobra is some traction or learn to feather it off the line to get maximum power to the wheels without breaking them loose.

BTW: your TQ seems a bit low for you HP. What are your times with that HP? I've seen many SC'd 01 Cobra's ( and pre 01) run 12.0's @ 112 or so. But they also had DR's.

TRUST ME the STI's are NOT pulling 1.5 60' all the time. I've never seen a 1.5.... Hell a 1.6 is RARE and hard to do. 800 HP 9 second cars struggle to get 1.5 and 1.6 60's. You will see MOST STi's running 1.9 60's at the track. The better drivers will learn to snag 1.8's and a few 1.7's.... 1.6's ARE RARE!

I pulled a 1.89 60' in my 03 Cobra on STOCK TIRES!!! So you can probably come close with better tires. Heck you should be able to snag a few 1.7's with DR's, a good track, and practice. Then the 1/10 or 2/10's of a second they get you out of the hole is NOTHING to make up. You should out muscle one no problem.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    It depends on wheather or not you can drive. A good driver in a modded STi and a good driver in a modded Cobra: The Cobra *should* win easily every time.

All you really need in the Cobra is some traction or learn to feather it off the line to get maximum power to the wheels without breaking them loose.

BTW: your TQ seems a bit low for you HP. What are your times with that HP? I've seen many SC'd 01 Cobra's ( and pre 01) run 12.0's @ 112 or so. But they also had DR's.

TRUST ME the STI's are NOT pulling 1.5 60' all the time. I've never seen a 1.5.... Hell a 1.6 is RARE and hard to do. 800 HP 9 second cars struggle to get 1.5 and 1.6 60's. You will see MOST STi's running 1.9 60's at the track. The better drivers will learn to snag 1.8's and a few 1.7's.... 1.6's ARE RARE!

I pulled a 1.89 60' in my 03 Cobra on STOCK TIRES!!! So you can probably come close with better tires. Heck you should be able to snag a few 1.7's with DR's, a good track, and practice. Then the 1/10 or 2/10's of a second they get you out of the hole is NOTHING to make up. You should out muscle one no problem.
    the reason the torque is so low is because i am running a centrifugal.... not a roots/screw s/c... I make more top end power at the sacrifice of some torque. Never had a run with this setup yet because of some fuel problems I am having... the 255lph pump isnt cutting it and i get lean at 5500-7000 so my new pump comes in tomorrow and maybe i can get some good times. I am cutting 2.0 60' on drag radials beause of my crappy halfshafts. I CAN cut a 1.8, but i dont want to break the rear just yet.

check it out..
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

I had a 1997 Vortech SC Cobra making 453 RWHP and 449 torque and I ran best of 11.5 @ 121 with a 1.77 60 ft time. I also had some suspension modifications to help with the traction.

Originally posted by Drod
    I had a 1997 Vortech SC Cobra making 453 RWHP and 449 torque and I ran best of 11.5 @ 121 with a 1.77 60 ft time. I also had some suspension modifications to help with the traction.
    nice torque... mine is a stock cobra with a vortech... the only other mod is the exahust. I still dont know for sure why the torque is so low, the centrifugal plays a large part. I see other cobras running about the same torque as well... except the roots/screw style ones.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

Mike,

I had short headers, X pipe and cat back sysytem. I also had the Pro M 77 intake. I was going to send the heads out for some work, but the stinking car rooled down a hill while I was visiting my parents and smashed into a tree causing over 12K of damage. The car had the E-brake on, but it still rolled down the hill. Ford had a recall on the E-brake 2 month's later, for the same problem. Ford never owned up to the damage. I got rid of the car soon after. My insurance Co paid for the repair and a new SC system. I loved that car.

wow man... sorry to hear that.. sounds like it was a great car.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.