WRX vs. '96 M3?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs. '96 M3? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been going back and forth on which of these cars to buy. How does the WRX do against a ...

WRX vs. '96 M3?

I've been going back and forth on which of these cars to buy. How does the WRX do against a stock '96 M3?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not good from a roll. Interior sucks compared to bmw. Not as luxurious. Doesn't look as good. BMW headlights OWN. BMW are low from factory.
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)
    vf22/pinks/up/exhaust/pump/mbc/bov/ecutek

i love BMW as a company... almost bought an M3... had a 325is.... once i saw the WRX tho, this is the only car i wanted and had to have it... but just depends what u want... i personally would pick the M3..

-Mike

A stock WRX will beat it by a couple of cars. A WRX with MBC will kill it to whatever speed you can reach. On a roll, you should be able to hange by him all the way. I've raced too many stock or I/H/E 96 M3's to know.

Go test drive.
    12.8@104 w/ 1.86 60'
    274awhp/270tq (dynojet)
    vf22/pinks/up/exhaust/pump/mbc/bov/ecutek

Wink

I think an WRX would definitely lose on a roll. My roomate has an '97 M3 and we go for drives all the time. That thing really pulls better in low rpms and regular driving....plus everybody says our cars are weaker in the top-end. They really are well engineered cars....plus they have more class, better looking interiors, more sports car like suspension......personally....I'd take the M. I think the bigger question is whether or not you can find an old M3 in excellent condition.....That was the only reason I didn't get one instead...I was scared of getting a lemon.

A stock WRX will beat it by a couple of cars. A WRX with MBC will kill it to whatever speed you can reach. On a roll, you should be able to hange by him all the way. I've raced too many stock or I/H/E 96 M3's to know.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think both are fantastic cars. I've always like BMs. They are different cars though and suit different purposes. If you can find a good condition 96 M3 that hasn't been crashed it's definately something to consider. BMs are generally more expensive to mod, on the other hand, you have a fantastic handling car that can put a smile on your face during track days. WRXs...well, they aren't as suited to the tarmac, but the trade off is good useability for all sorts of purposes. Another consideration is whether you like turbos, the M's 3.2 straight six is fantastically linear, while you can't say that about any turbo engine. The chassis of the BM is superb and has good overall feel. The subies feel is quite good as well....though the shifter isn't as silky, but it is communicative. The seating position is also drastically different amongst the cars...not everyone takes the bus driver's seat position well.

I actually was in your position a few months ago too before I got my WRX. I was actually looking at a 95 M3 coupe which costed about 22 grand, but the AWD and upgrade potential of the WRX had me bought. I do think, however, that the M3 would beat a WRX from a roll stock for stock, and should hit the quarter SLIGHTLY faster. The two cars are basically equal with similar drivers, but with dif. drivers, hand it to whichever car has the better pilot!

I like having a warranty and new car smell, but for you I'd say you need to decide A) if you're planning on modding the car. B) if you you must have leather. C) if you like the idea of an AWD car, or if you like doing RWD burnouts. D) if you value price per performance.

If you do get the M3, have fun it's an amazing car. If you get the WRX, have fun it's an amazing car too!

Oh, btw, if you have $$$ and want to get an M3 and make it sickly fast go to www.activeautowerke.com and buy a turbo kit for $10 grand (actually will do about the same as a Vish 0 and Exhaust, but imagine having an M3 with an FMIC, pretty freaking intimidating!)

Thanks for all the input so far.

It sounds like performance is pretty comparable depending on if it's from a roll or not. How does handling and ride compare?

Pete

Originally posted by pw455
    Thanks for all the input so far.

It sounds like performance is pretty comparable depending on if it's from a roll or not. How does handling and ride compare?

Pete
    handling?? BMW M3 was voted 'best handling car over $30,000' and ride... BMWs ride great...

-Mike

The BMW will definitely get you more stares/girls taking off their shirts, if that matters to ya.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

well, if you race from stop lights, yes.. brute performance is about the same between E36 M3 and WRX. But on the road course, M3 will murder the wrx in just about every aspect. If you do a lot of road course, get the M3.
    The only up WRX has over M3 is ease of mod.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.