Not really a Vs. but a fun comparison

This is a discussion on Not really a Vs. but a fun comparison within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Down @ my uncles today and he pulled out his 1972 Buick Gran Sport Stage 1 for its bi-monthly cleaning ...

Not really a Vs. but a fun comparison

Down @ my uncles today and he pulled out his 1972 Buick Gran Sport Stage 1 for its bi-monthly cleaning and block run. When this thing starts up it kicks a huge cloud of exhaust and proceeds to rumble the neighborhood. After it was chugging happily for a few minutes, he let me jump and and drove it around the block. We hit one strait away and he brought it down to First (Automatic Tranny) and gassed it. When this thing took off, everyone within a mile knew it. My Uncle told me he used to run 13s in it when it was in its prime. I can believe it! Now I'm not always one to reach for the sh*t handles when the driver takes off, but I was grasping for them and they just werent there. Its not the acceleration, but the shake up you get with 400+ hp in a 6 or 7 L engine thats just blows you away. Just wanted to share this little story and pic with you guys. What do ya think? Could I take it in my Rex?

Here's the pic, enjoy:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0030.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

He'd never be able to get off the line with that thing, no traction, unless he goes for the concrete bags in the trunk...
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Gosh danged forum is messed up the last couple of days!!

400+ HP and he only ran 13's?

I like the other car in the picture better (the WR Blue one)

Im guessing the weight was close to 4000.

I'm guessing lots of things. Weight, traction, gearing, driver, etc...

I think with a couple of mods, you would easily take him.

Stock the 70 Stg1 engines had a gross HP rating of 510 ft/lbs@2600. junaitari the 400hp is also gross figure which equates to roughly 280 rear wheel hp. MotorTrend tested a 70 Stg1 which went 13.3 on crummy bias ply tires.
    02 WRX - auto, Blaze Yellow

When I was a kid, one of my buddies conviced his mom to buy a GS. I believe it was a '68 or 69. The torque was incredible from the instant your toes tickeled the accelerator untill you decided you were going so fast it scared you. They did not handle well and eventually, he wrecked it.

But fom my memory, the raw power of the car was huge when compared to a WRX. Actually, there is little comparison.

Dude, that Buick is PIMPIN'!

Cool The old days

When I was a teenager ( 1972 and up) cars like the GS, BB Chevy Novas and 428 Cobra Jet Mustangs, 440 six pack Cudas and Chargers to name a few where the cars of my dreams. There's something special about the rumble of a big V-8. Sure they were over weight, light in the butt, had to have 98 octane or better gas to keep the engine from detenating, and could lay rubber a block long but truth be told cars today out handle, out brake and out engineer the old iron. When people say, "They sure don't build cars like they used to." I say, "Thank goodness for that." My old 1967 Ford Fairlane GTA w/390 cu inc will always hold a warm place in my heart but memories are almost always tinged with a little gold dust.
    Pete
    Blitz Turbo Timer, TurboXS mbc, uppipe, Samco intercooler hoses, TurboXS Unichip (stage 1), TurboXS intake, Vishnu downpipe.

I had a buddy who had a Challenger with a 383 six pack and a Hurst pistol grip shifter. We towed his small aluminum boat once at 135 MPH. I think we might have had a beer or two while fishing that day.

The day before he traded it in for a more practiacal but unmemorable auto, we took it out and beat the holy he** out of it. Drifting backwards while reving the engine and then popping the clutch so we could make "J" shapes "patches". It was awesome. He always wanted to know how to do that.

Our WRXs are no match for those old muscle cars. In the time it take our turbos to spool up, they were producing torque at levels we can only imagine.

But they couldn't hook up with those old, skinny, bias belted tires. I saw a comparison of a 63 Vette with a 427 ci engine to todays Vette with whateverthehell engine they put in it now but is much smaller displacement. The new Vette won by a mile.

Now get this, on the skidpad, a Chrysler minivan was the equal to the '63 Vette. Tires and traction are the biggest difference.

Incrediable.

I had a buddy who had a Challenger with a 383 six pack and a Hurst pistol grip shifter. We towed his small aluminum boat once at 135 MPH. I think we might have had a beer or two while fishing that day.

The day before he traded it in for a more practiacal but unmemorable auto, we took it out and beat the holy he** out of it. Drifting backwards while reving the engine and then popping the clutch so we could make "J" shapes "patches". It was awesome. He always wanted to know how to do that.

Our WRXs are no match for those old muscle cars. In the time it take our turbos to spool up, they were producing torque at levels we can only imagine.

But they couldn't hook up with those old, skinny, bias belted tires. I saw a comparison of a 63 Vette with a 427 ci engine to todays Vette with whateverthehell engine they put in it now but is much smaller displacement. The new Vette won by a mile.

Now get this, on the skidpad, a Chrysler minivan was the equal to the '63 Vette. Tires and traction are the biggest difference.

Incredable.