Subaru WRX Forum banner

From a Roll: Stock WRX vs S2000 vs RSX-S

9K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  illusion 
#1 ·
So I'm trying to prove a point here...my friend thinks since I don't drive a WRX I don't know **** about their power delivary...

I'm not ragging on the WRX here, but it's not exactly known for it's top end pull...but my buddy thinks top end pull means nothing when compared to low end pull and launch.

So from a roll from 30mph-40mph my buddy thinks it'll take BOTH the S2K and the RSX-S (and yes they are in vtec at these speeds) up til about 100 mph for the RSX-S and 90mph for the S2000... (I have no idea how you would measure that...since the cars will all accelerate diffrently, but I think he's saying from the WRX's driver's speedo POV)

So what do you guys think? I think from a roll...the WRX would lose pretty quickly...

PS I LOVE the WRX, just wanting to make sure I wasn't bashing it or anything, I'm acctually thinking of getting another one (but that'll be another post ;) )

#4 ·
JDM 3SGTE said:
are all the cars stock?

everything stock the wrx and rsx will be even up to around 90-100. the s2k might start pulling away much earlier.
All the cars are stock......very stock.

wouldn't the top end power of an RSX-S > a WRX's top end, espicaly with the way it pull from a roll when it hits 3rd gear vtec...the speedo seriously like doesn't slow down.

#5 ·
im not sure how fast a s2k is, but i raced one with my current mods from a 40mph roll and i pulled about 4-5 lengths till 120. Which isnt that much, so im pretty sure a stock wrx would lose, especially if you kept going to like 140mph.

-BobbyD

#7 ·
Pretty much what everyone else said. S2000 traps around 97-100 stock and WRX traps around 92-94 stock. The S2000 will start running away around 90ish when the WRX shifts to fourth.

Jimbo

#8 ·
Daemos said:

So what do you guys think? I think from a roll...the WRX would lose pretty quickly...

The S2k might walk the wrx rather quickly but not the rsx. The rsx vs wrx from a roll is a more even race then you think. Also I have a vid of a lightly modded wrx (unichip, turbo back) pulling two cars on a modded rsx (hondata # 4 test pipe, no exhaust) Those mods are pretty even and the wrx pulled so stock vs stock the race will be pretty even and the S2k pulls on both cars.

#9 ·
The way i see this is, since this is from a 30MPH roll, its hard to really consider this a top end race. All WRX owners know, the WRX will pull hard until about 90-100 then it just falls off, so from a roll at 30, I would predict the WRX would definately be ahead of the RSX, and behind the S2000. However, from a high MPH roll at 60MPH+ the race between RSX and WRX gets very close and it only depends on the drivers and the conditions. The race with the S2000 will already be well over and done with. Although the WRX's top end power is lacking, a 2nd gear roll in the WRX, even stock, will definately suprise most people. At about 95MPH when the WRX has to shift out of 3rd gear, it will lose its hard pulling power allowing the RSX to play catch up which it definately can do...In the end, a race from 30-130...i would say RSX and WRX would be almost even, give or take a cars lenght at either end.
Just my $.o2

Marc

#10 ·
I can vouch that even a Cobb stage1 wrx will not beat a s2000 from a high roll. It's close but the s2k's top end is too much for the lil turbo. I raced my brother from a 60mph roll and he probably put a car length on me to about 100mph. I stopped at 100 cuz I knew he was gonna keep pulling harder.

Never raced an rsx but I hope we'd be able to edge it out.

#11 ·
Daemos said:
So I'm trying to prove a point here...my friend thinks since I don't drive a WRX I don't know **** about their power delivary...

I'm not ragging on the WRX here, but it's not exactly known for it's top end pull...but my buddy thinks top end pull means nothing when compared to low end pull and launch.

So from a roll from 30mph-40mph my buddy thinks it'll take BOTH the S2K and the RSX-S (and yes they are in vtec at these speeds) up til about 100 mph for the RSX-S and 90mph for the S2000... (I have no idea how you would measure that...since the cars will all accelerate diffrently, but I think he's saying from the WRX's driver's speedo POV)

PS I LOVE the WRX, just wanting to make sure I wasn't bashing it or anything, I'm acctually thinking of getting another one (but that'll be another post ;) )
first off.... vtec can engage at 30mph... its not speed, its the rpm range, but the higher speed you are the longer it will be the vtec powerband.

rsx-s vs wrx = wrx will pull initially due to torque from 40mph but the rsx will pull even around 80 or so, and will pull ahead above 100mph.

s2000 vs wrx = s2k > than wrx anywhere but off the line

#13 ·
raced a S2000 the other night from a 70 mph roll. Ended up putting about 2 car lengths on him. I've only got full catless and MBC. You might be dead even but you shouldn't loose too bad.

#14 ·
i raced my friend's s2k couple weeks ago and i gave him like 2 sec head start on 30mph roll, and i couldn't pass him but just reelin' him in by inches up to about 100mph. my setup was equivalent to txs stg4 w/ vf23....along with massive exhaust leak. those 9k redline is no joke;)

#18 ·
The wrx doesnt really die untill you have to shift to 4th around 95mph after that a 4cly accord could walk it.

It should hang with or beat the rsx to 100 and the s2000 will beat it. It has nothing to do with top end though, just hp to the wheels/weight and gearing.

#20 ·
swipe112 said:
WRX will not lose to a RSX Type S from a roll. I raced one (stock vs. stock) from about 70 mph - 110 mph and gained almost a car length. Going from a 40 mph roll, you should have no problem. C'mon guys....the WRX has 27 more hp and tons more torque. If anything the RSX traps the 1/4 mile at 93 mph which is dead even with a WRX.
...and weighs more and has worse gearing. :tongue:

Lol, I think its pretty even from a roll, with the edge going towards the WRX for sure.

Trap speeds are probably lower on the WRX because they stick their launch so well. Trap speeds for RSX is probably higher because they sit there and wheel hop and get ****ty 60' times, thus their trap speeds are higher.

Anyway, who's stock anymore? Lol...this topic has been beat to death on multiple occassions.

#21 ·
swipe112 said:
WRX will not lose to a RSX Type S from a roll. I raced one (stock vs. stock) from about 70 mph - 110 mph and gained almost a car length. Going from a 40 mph roll, you should have no problem. C'mon guys....the WRX has 27 more hp and tons more torque. If anything the RSX traps the 1/4 mile at 93 mph which is dead even with a WRX.
27 less hp, at the crank, yes. the rsxs is lighter, has way better gearing and is in its sweet spot at 70mph.

I don't doubt that you did pull, but as the wrx gets into 90+, you are facing 4th gear. I don't know how 4th gear is on a stock wrx, but in my wrx it still sucks.

stock for stock, if the rsxs driver knows how to drive (yes bury the needle at 8200) then I would have to give the nod to the rsxs, but it would be a good race anyway.

good kill though, back when you were stock, etc.

#23 ·
swipe112 said:
I have raced a TypeR with exhaust mods and who knows what with my WRX when it was stock. It still is really.... Anyways the race started with me 1/2 car from the Type R's rear bumper with a rolling start around a left turn that turned into 2 lanes. We both shut down at a little over 80 with me a 1/2 car ahead and walking. So actually I pulled about 1 1/2 cars from 20 mph to 80.

#24 ·
2004SilverWRX said:
I have raced a TypeR with exhaust mods and who knows what with my WRX when it was stock. It still is really.... Anyways the race started with me 1/2 car from the Type R's rear bumper with a rolling start around a left turn that turned into 2 lanes. We both shut down at a little over 80 with me a 1/2 car ahead and walking. So actually I pulled about 1 1/2 cars from 20 mph to 80.
don't know "who knows what else" could include, but type-r's are no joke from a roll if the driver knows what he/she is doing. especially vs a stock wrx.

#25 · (Edited)
swipe112 said:

the 27 more hp doesnt matter...rsx type s probably has about the same whp...without awd launch ...it would be pretty even from a roll..with downpipe and mbc at 14psi i pulled on a rsx type s with just intake by 1 1/2 car...and rsx type s traps about the same as wrx in the 1/4 mile..those 27 hp dont mean much when its a roll..our awd tranny losses pretty much even it out

http://www.car-videos.com/performance/view.asp?ID1=3&ID2=5

comparison..notice traps are about the same..also this is rating the rsx type s very badly..cause they do 14.9 stock with good driver..and notice how without the launch...if off a roll..how close this would be

btw...sorry for hijack..but 2nd gear roll..best speed 2 start for a rex..35 mph??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.