sti vs evo fun in nova (then turbo civic) - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on sti vs evo fun in nova (then turbo civic) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I own an EVO, but from what i've read in forums... there are many evos that have run 12.9-- ...

Well, I own an EVO, but from what i've read in forums... there are many evos that have run 12.9-- with perfect conditions. It is possible from what I've read, I have yet to see it. Most that I have read are along the lines of 13.1-5.

Though I wouldn't use the C&D reviews...they are kinda slow. Thier first review of the EVO had the car running a 14.4 quarter mile.

On the note of the first paragraph, replace just about everything that says EVO with STi and that's basically what I have heard about STis myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I've heard. EVO handles and brakes better, while the STI accelerates better. Stock for stock of course.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Re: EVO

Originally posted by Miguel_04_WRX
    EVO's are fast cars i love to have one. BUt i totally disagree of a stock EVO pulling on an STI. My friend has a stock STI which i drove and i raced my friend's stock EVO and i put 2 cars on him by 4th gear. And yes the STI will destroy an EVO of the line. Driven an EVO and they are terrible to launch of the line. But I still would like one
    Your smoking some crack if you think an STI will destroy an EVO off the line. They are both very capable cars being very equal in performance. My cousin owns and STI and I own an EVO. When stock, we raced and the two cars were very much side by side 1-3 gears(EVO slightly edging out the STI because of the extra shift). Once in 4th gear in the EVO, the STI did slightly pull and through 5th gear, the STI was about 1.5 cars ahead when we shut down. The mph numbers were too high to count. Your EVO friend can't drive if you destroyed him off the line and only put 2 cars on him by 4th gear.
    One thing I will agree, STI is faster but after 110-120+mph. Your extra shift to 60 is where the EVO takes advantage.
    I'm not here to argue who's faster because its driver dependant. But I think your just a little too biased.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

Silver04STI,

You wouldn't happen to have a camcorder?
    I'm guessing if you run my friend's EVO it will be a pretty close race and I'm expecting the cars to be neck and neck until about 110-120mph where he may slowly start taking a walk (in all fairness he has a turbo back and you are stock).

Yes I see your point, stock vs stock the two cars are very close in performance and nobody should claim that a stock evo can stomp an STI.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Nice kill, but you were in the middle of cop central I'm surpised there was none out. There are like 3 or 4 spots they sit out there so keep a watch out.

Originally posted by All8up
    Silver04STI,

You wouldn't happen to have a camcorder?
    I'm guessing if you run my friend's EVO it will be a pretty close race and I'm expecting the cars to be neck and neck until about 110-120mph where he may slowly start taking a walk (in all fairness he has a turbo back and you are stock).

Yes I see your point, stock vs stock the two cars are very close in performance and nobody should claim that a stock evo can stomp an STI.

Yes, I have a camcorder but its vhs-c (lame), I think 03cobra has a good cam that could be used. The funny thing is that there is all this argument about stock vs stock above so you'd think that i'd have little chance against your buddies "modded" one....but hey, I'd run him for fun i'm not afraid of being beat....yet you think that it will be neck and neck with my car and your buddies modded one.......if he beats me then it'll be good incentive for me to buy Phil's element tuning ecu upgrade......along with the downpipe/exhaust from TXS from my old wrx that has been sitting in the garage....then we can run again to make things square
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

If you think I'm setting you up for a loss you are dead wrong. I ust want to see an STI run, regardless of outcome and it is all in good fun. The guy with the EVO is a fair to average driver at best. He had his hands full with an mopar SRT4. Like I said, I think it would be close till about 110 and from that point his free flow exhaust would give him the edge.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Originally posted by All8up
    If you think I'm setting you up for a loss you are dead wrong. I ust want to see an STI run, regardless of outcome and it is all in good fun. The guy with the EVO is a fair to average driver at best. He had his hands full with an mopar SRT4. Like I said, I think it would be close till about 110 and from that point his free flow exhaust would give him the edge.
    Like I said, i'm up for it.........who cares if he takes me.....i had never come across an evo until last week (with my first post) so the more the merrier...the pros rate the cars very close so if i can hang or take a modded one i'll feel pretty good......if i lose.....i'll resort to ecu and other upgrades....lol......j/k.....unless he killed me, then the txs exhaust would be on by weeks end and a rematch would be in order........cool, so we both suck at driving that is even better......i'm sure we can find a nice long road in the area to run........i'm thinking right in front of the worldcom building.....that is always EMPTY..........sometime next week when i get back from ct?
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

I can see where the two are close off the line because of the gearing in the Evo. You loose a bit of time shifting to second earlier in the STi.

I still can not seem to get it out of my head when you take all things into consideration:

- STi has a better HP to wieght ratio

- All Comparisons I've seen and read say the STi has a very obvious power and torque advantage

- The STi out runs the Evo to 130 MPH by like 4 seconds

- The STi hits 12 MPH faster in the straights

Yes they are two VERY close cars and EXTREMELY comparable. But I really have a hard time seeing the Evo run a 12.99 in the 1/4. I see the STi struggle to see 12.99 in the 1/4 as well. But I think the larger displacement in the STi should yield higher trap speeds and faster times in the 1/4.

As for the Evo only showing 15 HP difference at the wheels. Well I suppose its possible. I dont see how the Subaru has THAT much of a less efficient drive train where loss is more substantial. But again, I have not seen any dyno's (eye witnessed or other). Besides the STi gearing ratios *should* apply more HP and TQ to the wheels given its 6 spd and ratio's.

Both great cars. But I believe the people who tell me the STi's are running (predominantly) 13.2 - 13.4's in the 1/4 with a few slightly lower numbers. I do not, however, believe that the EVO *predominantly* runs high 12's....

Like I said, it takes 1 HP for every 10 pounds (with decent gearing, etc...) to get a car to run 13 flat.

For example:

03 Cobra Coupe - 400 crank HP with 360 HP at the wheels on average. The car wieghs 3650. Thats right at 1 HP for every 10 lbs. The AVERAGE times for a stock 03/04 Cobra = 13.0 @ 110.
    I know the Cobra weighs more with a human and some gas, but the "rule of thumb" does not factor in those extra's.

Cant wait to see some times for both this year. Maybe I can get Silver04STi to go to MIR once or twice. Maybe even let me run it once....??

All8Up: We should get some guys to meet up some time. I've got a couple of friends with some NICE turbo Supra's.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

EVO's stock running high 12's are rare but some have sqeezed it in. Just look at zerofrost's 60' (1.6), that's fast enough to put him in the the high 12's stock.
    03Cobra, you talk about 1 HP for every 10 pounds, that's right but AWD is what these cars have for advantage. That's why they are capable of low 13's high 12's.
    I am not willing to do a 6k rpm drop on my EVO like others that are getting great times so I will never hope for a high 12 stock. But low 13's is pretty accomplishable(if that's even a word) at the track and on the streets. I'm more than sure we will be seeing more and more high 12's out of STI's and EVO's as these cars break in more and owners willing to launch at 6k rpm or higher. When it comes to magazine racing, its always different in every mag. Some mags got the EVO butt slow and some mags got the EVO very fast. I guess it all comes down to temperature, altitude, and humidity. We all remember that Hot rod magazine, where the STI beat the 03 Cobra in the 1/4. Just because a magazine says so, does it really beat it in the 1/4? I would say if it was on a bad track that wasn't prepped properly then yes, I can see the STI beating it. But then I've seen 03 Cobra's(stock) owners claiming 12.7-12.8 in the 1/4. We can magazine race or we can all just get out there and prove what our cars are going to do but moral of the story these two cars(EVO vs. STI) has been in debate for too many long years in other countries(now here) and it will never stop. I'm no expert but have been drag racing for a very long time. My friend and I raced our cars (stock EVO vs. stock STI) and it is a very even race up to 110-120mph where the STI will slowly pull. The STI is faster up top! When you got it in 5th@WOT and STI is slowly pulling, that tells you STI is faster.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456