sti vs evo fun in nova (then turbo civic) - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on sti vs evo fun in nova (then turbo civic) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Drod I love Vegas. I never been there, this ismy first time going....

Originally posted by Drod
    I love Vegas.
    I never been there, this ismy first time going.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by All8up
    I usually do not go to car meets around the area, but I know they meet up @ BJ's in Fair Lakes 1x a month and @ the Hoffman Theater in Alex (Bi-weekly).

A friend had an sti, I loved the car but he sold it b4 we had a chance to ever run it.

We know a guy w/ an Evo, so there is little reason to trouble Zero Frost to come all the way to N.Va just for a run.

03 Cobra,
    For some reason you give the Evo very little credit, in hopes of bringing you to a better level of awarness, the Evo has an advantage in handling, braking and mod potential. Not to say there is anything wrong w/ the STI, it is just a simple fact that the Evo is the more "race ready" platform. Stock turbo'd Evos (w/ the appropriate mods) are clipping 12s and this is common-place.
    Thanks for the back up bro.

ZeroFrost,

What hotel are you staying at? Vegas is a wild and crazy place. Last year my wife won 19k playing the tables. The shows are cool and the food is out of this world. The Hotels are nuts. Make you visit all the major hotels in the strip. They are incredible. Clubs are thigh, but you better be a VIP if youíre going to get into the big name ones. Anyway, I am selling my WRX and the EVO is in my short list. Test-drove one when they came out and I was totally impressed.
    Last edited by Drod; 06-11-2004 at 11:27 AM.

Originally posted by ZeroFrost
    Yea i am a cool dude, i was just making an opinion of mine, i didnt mean to stir up a street race war. Ill be in vegas this following week, i can do the runs anytime after the 18th.
    For future reference, next time you try to NOT stir the pot, you might want to avoid statements like "I got a EVO and i have never lost to a STi. You of course have higher end torque but off the line a EVO will have you for breakfast. Next time line it up and run the EVO..." as your first post.

Maybe you forgot that this was an WRX/STI site? I dunno... Seriously though, those two cars are so close in performance...you have to understand that some people won't really show you much respect when you say things like that.

It would be akin to a STI guy going on an Evo site and saying what you said, while obviously replacing "Evo" with "STI."

I'm just pointing that out, not trying to prolong an argument here.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Taken from a review:

"The Evoís power train delivers maximum power from a rather minimum size. The DOHC 4-cylinder motor provides amazing results: 271 hp @ 6,500 rpm and 273 lb. ft. of torque @ 3,500 rpm. It utilizes an intercooled turbocharger, aluminum heads, and a number of internal refinements aimed at decreasing weight and increasing power and durability. Mitsubishi states that the Evo is capable of doing 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds, a 13.8 second quarter mile, and a top end of 155 mph. Yeah, that seemed about right (donít tell my insurance company I said so)."

WRX STi: 500 cc's MORE, 30 MORE HP and 30 MORE TQ with the EXACT same wieght as the Evo....??

I think its exactly as I stated. The Evo is in fact very fast and capable. It handles slightly better and brakes a little better. In stock form it is about 4/10ths slower 0-60 and about 1/2+ second slower in the 1/4.

Sure you can mod the Evo and make it faster, but you can also do the same to the STi. AND you have more to work with on the STi - BIGGER DISPLACEMENT!

The Evo is fast, but a 12 second car stock? Dunno how you figure that? With a 1 HP for every 12 lbs that is really not that impressive. A 1 HP for every 10 lbs is a good rule of thumb to get a car to do a 13.0 flat.

So guys claiming to do 12.99's in a stock evo does not sound very possible to me. However, pulling a 1.6 60' is very impressive to me and VERY hard to do. Even guys running 10 second cars struggle to pull 1.6 60's.... The Evo is a 13.6 car at best if you ask me... I'd have to see it to believe it...

03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

I just realized that its QUITE possible that this guy has:

1. A FACTORY FREAK that produces more HP than its supposed to.

2. Is a professional driver with YEARs of experience.

3. Tail wind.

4. 40 F.

5. Perfect track conditions.

6. Only 10% BS factor.

7. Track timers are off and not properly calibrated.

Yea, I guess it IS possible for a stock Evo to pull a 12.99.....

Sorry..

03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

well i did it in april when it was bitter cold still here in PA. And i have seen other EVO drivers runs 12.99's. Some dont cause they are scared of launching thier car hard, i am not. And yes there is a high possibilty that i got a above statistic car which is VERY VERY possible.

03 cobra,

If you seen my sig, you would see that I have the 2.5sti block in my engine bay (so consider me unbias) and I would still say the 4g63 is a better platform to build on. The iron block, superior head design, and location of the turbo (less pipes) is tough to beat. Besides the forementioned, there is a replacement for displacement and it comes in many forms...more boost and higher rev ranges just to name a few.

Furthermore, the Evo typically puts down 15 to 20 less hp on the dyno, so that 30 crank hp difference is less than you believe.
    Again, I'm not here to sell you an Evo, just trying to get you to reset your bearings a bit.

ZeroFrost,
    Like Smokey said, this is will be a tough crowd to win over if the first words out of your mouth equate to "my car is faster than all of yours".
    Otherwise, welcome and enjoy your stay..

I just came back from a week long stay in Vegas....I'm not glad that I am back, but my liver sure is.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Originally posted by All8up

We know a guy w/ an Evo, so there is little reason to trouble Zero Frost to come all the way to N.Va just for a run.

Silver04sti writing from 03 cobra's machine:

I had that one run in (which was fun) and would run one again but my comments to zero frost were because he came out of the hole with a cocky post and I felt that he needed to be challenged because I don't see an evo raping an sti from a dig, don't see it. I don't believe stock evo's are consistently running 12's either, I don't know what kind of track this guy is running at but the timing seems pretty liberal. I don't buy it especially based on what I personally encountered racing a modded one. There are evo owners on this site, chime in and give us your 2 cents.....
    I've followed the literature and the shows on both cars and they are very close in many respects. It will most likely be a drivers race in most situations but I would not say "rapage" would occur in either case. Granted, my opinion is very limited (having only one encounter thus far) but he was not stock and you'd think that if a stock one was so much superior (as zero suggests) then I would have been walked.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    Taken from a review:

"The Evoís power train delivers maximum power from a rather minimum size. The DOHC 4-cylinder motor provides amazing results: 271 hp @ 6,500 rpm and 273 lb. ft. of torque @ 3,500 rpm. It utilizes an intercooled turbocharger, aluminum heads, and a number of internal refinements aimed at decreasing weight and increasing power and durability. Mitsubishi states that the Evo is capable of doing 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds, a 13.8 second quarter mile, and a top end of 155 mph. Yeah, that seemed about right (donít tell my insurance company I said so)."

I still don't understand why most people keep on quoting from car and driver. I think you should look into Motor trend times for the better EVO times. Car and Driver didnt want to make the EVO look good so take a look at Motor trend and Automobil mag. They quote the stock EVO 0-60 in 4.5sec and 1/4 at 13.08@105+mph. Use EVO's best time against the STI's best time, not ones best against ones worst.

Here is the URL: http://www.motortrend.com/features/s..._0306_spdtest/
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

I still don't understand why people are magazine racing. The best way to figure out what a car will run is to stick the average person behind the wheel and you will get an average time that the majority of people will be able to get out of that vehicle.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Lets stick to magazine racing since it's already running towards that direction.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

If that's the way you want it.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

EVO

EVO's are fast cars i love to have one. BUt i totally disagree of a stock EVO pulling on an STI. My friend has a stock STI which i drove and i raced my friend's stock EVO and i put 2 cars on him by 4th gear. And yes the STI will destroy an EVO of the line. Driven an EVO and they are terrible to launch of the line. But I still would like one
    2005 Electric Blue Mitsubishi Evolution VIII,
    2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    Helix Catback
    Helix Downpipe
    Ultimate Racing test pipe
    Txs Mbc
    Greddy Type-s bov

www.myspace.com/evil_evo_viii
    www.mitsubishiunited.com
    2004 Subaru Wrx-Sold

Looks like everyone's been reading up in their magazines today.
    Chris
    1999 Impreza RS - 12.096 @ 114.63
    2002 WRX - 12.602 @ 111.08
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 11 second scrap pile - SOLD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.