Subaru WRX Forum banner

stock RX8 vs. STOCK WRX

7K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  MJU1983 
#1 ·
I did some searching but couldnt find it exactly ....

how would a stock 04 WRX (sedan, 5MT) hold up again a RX8 from a stop? (0-60..etc?)

Because i got a friend who is getting a rx8 soon and thinks its way faster than the wrx...also another question, g-35 coupe, how well can we hold ours against them from a stop?

Thanks

#2 ·
well being that I beat a RX-8 in my truck.... I would say u would rip it a new azz hole... I am pretty sure u will waste the G too, especiallyy from a stop, and more especially if u can do a basic launch...

#5 ·
wrx will have an advantage and edge out.... its a low to mid 14sec car, vs a mid 14sec car

the g35 will be a bit harder. they have more torque, better curve, and still pull hard to redline... the g35c 6speed is a low to mid 14sec car like the wrx.

#8 ·
RX8

0-60mph race: WRX wins with good launch
rolling race: at higher speed, RX8 wins

G35 coupe

0-60mph race: WRX wins with good launch
rolling race: G35 will murder stock WRX.

STOCK WRX IS SLOW FROM A ROLL. What can you expect from 3100lbs car with just 170whp?
:)

#9 ·
RX8

From a stop: Unless u cant drive, u will win.

From a roll: Unless u cant drive, u will win.

G35 is drivers race from a stop IMO.

#10 ·
now that i think about it, the g35c had some pretty impressive 0-60 times, so even to 60mph it would still be pretty close, and even closer in the 1/4

g35 will own you hard from a roll though

#11 ·
RX-8 will get slaughtered. I drove my friend's rx-8 and it is dog ass slow. I also raced him in my friend's ls integra and beat him.

G35 will beat you on a roll. You'll beat the g35 from a stop assuming you can drive.

#12 ·
ya one of my friends just got a g35 - i dont think its the g35c though. I am just worried about from a stop, because from a roll, thatrs just not fair lol. Oh well, what are some mods that can be done to increase the power from a roll?

#13 ·
From a roll I think the RX8 has a very good chance of winning.

The reason we are a low 14 sec car is because of the impressive AWD launch. Take that advantage away and lots of low -to-mid 14 second cars can easily take us. Even cars with same 1/4 mile will beat us from a roll.

for example from a roll, mustang GT ... should kill us.

I know there is more to it than just a lauch, like gear ratio of individual gears, wheel hp, boost etc., but the above is my theory based on observed results.

#14 ·
The G32 Sedan with the 6 speed is a quick car. My friend has one and I can take him of the line to about 90 and then he starts to pull. He ran a 13.89 at 101 stock. From a roll the G35 4 door with the 6 speed will walk away. He raced a stock SRT/4 neon from a roll and stayed side by side with the SRT/4 to 130..

#17 ·
There is one guy that has managed to do anything near what the mags can and he had years of drag racing experience, powershifted, and also went through two tranny's and blew an engine. He also claimed to have slips and video but failed to produce them and disappeared from the forum when people kept asking for them. Other than that the fastest time that anyone has achieved is a 14.8 and there have also been more 15+ second passes than there have been 14 second passes. In person I've seen anywhere from 15.1-15.8 with traps around 90mph at The Grove and those were all the MT version. The AT is a 16 second car and is dog slow.

The early magazine reviews where the car ran 14.5 were all done with preproduction cars before Mazda had to change the ECU settings to make the car run rich in order to preserve the life of the first cat. In addition in order to get the car to do a 14.5 an 8k clutch drop was needed, and that clutch drop often brings bad wheelhop which seems to be fairly common on the RX-8.

In the twisties they are great cars and handle very well, but they are not all that impressive in the acceleration department. From a roll up to high speeds the RX-8 would probably take out a WRX, other than that the RX-8 should lose in a straightline.

#18 ·
like IKE said ...preproduction rx8's were good competition ...the production ones are crap..if you've noticed..the hp rating on them has dropped from 255 to 235..i cant wait till mazda gets sued by people..tell your friend to keep the g35...g35 will take the rx8 off a roll and put up a fight might even win against rx8 off a launch

if you dont like your friend much..tell him to buy it...put a mbc and you can probably take him off a roll ...i messed around with a rx8 locally i had downpipe and mbc but it was set at like 14psi and i still pulled off a roll...i'm not impressed with rx8..should of kept it twin turbo..overrated piece of crap...someone race an rx8 off a roll and see what happens with bonestock..seeing as how the production ones seem to have problems breaking 14's...i wont be surprised if wrx keeps up off a roll (low mph roll ...15 1st gear 35-40 2nd gear ..etc)

#19 ·
i did not even launch my truck, and i pulled on the RX8 down low, I am pretty sure that if we kept going he would have pulled, however I have been murdered by teh WRX on a few ocasions... :D
The G35 will kill you from a roll they are heavier than Zs, wich will really put a hurtin on the WRX from a roll, especially the track model..

#20 ·
Hey, thanks for all the responses guys. I am not worried about the RX-8 because i havent seen one in my town yet, but one of my friends, not like a best friend, just a more less school friend got a AUTOMATIC g35 coupe and wants to race either me or one of my good friends who has an 03 wrx. So, one of us is going to race him sometime, and I will be sure to tell hwo it goes down.

( we wont street race, we will set something up on this old abonded street )

#24 · (Edited)
This happened to me friday afternoon so i have some street lab results.

I have a stock wagon. I'm at a light and an RX-8 is behind me then swings out to line up in the lane beside me :rolleyes:

When the light turned i couldn't resist and punched it to redline in first and was about a 1/2 car ahead. Through 2nd he was at my bumper and i could hear the guys car screaming at WOT. He just fell in behind me after that for the upcoming red light (it merged into one lane).

They aren't very fast , as a stock wrx isn't overly fast. But they look nice.

RX8 has more hp, but not much. It's not very light either (around 3000lbs). It is putting a bit more hp to the wheels than a stock wrx will, but it also has something like 150ft/lbs torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.