Audi TT 3.2 vs WRX (PLEASE NO FLAMES)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Audi TT 3.2 vs WRX (PLEASE NO FLAMES) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey folks, Ok I am a big TT lover - I've been looking at the TT 3.2 for about a ...

Audi TT 3.2 vs WRX (PLEASE NO FLAMES)

Hey folks,

Ok I am a big TT lover - I've been looking at the TT 3.2 for about a year and a half now. What has me second thinking a TT 3.2 is the quote I got the other day from a Audi dealer - with $9000 down it'll be $559.43/mo for 48 months with a big balloon payment due at the end - that's a hell of a lot of money.

I really want a quick, stylish, awd car, that will handle great on the road, as well as in the snow or on dirt roads.

That's why I'm here - how is the WRX - the automatic version - I am not fond at the idea of rowing my gears through NY traffic day after day after day. How is the rex in the snow, the dirt, on very long drives, on the highway, how is the turbo. Is the rex easy to mod for extra power? How is the warrenty? etc etc etc Any and all information is welcome.

remember - please no flames.......

thanks.

- Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No offense, but this is the completely wrong forum to post this. LOL. Yes...the wrx is a nice car, altho personally i would only get the 5 speed version. If you are too lazy to shift gears, then go for the automatic, but it is considerably slower than the 5mt wrx. The wrx has much more modding potential than a TT, and with a few mods it will smoke a TT really bad. It also does very well in the snow/rain/etc. Now someone please move this post, thx.

-BobbyD
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

It is a wicked car for the snow, and even better than the TT, since the TT is FWD until traction is lost, then power is sent back.. The WRX is AWD all the time.

As for looks, that is kinda subjective... You probably won't get as much play from the ladies out there with one of these, but those who respect and know performance will give give you cred.

On the highway, the car is very nice. With stock suspension, it is quiet, and goes around doing its thing very well.

The interior of the WRX doesn't really compare with the TT though... Take a test drive, and you will see what I mean.

It is EASY to mod the wrx for higher power levels if you wish. With regard to warranty though, you will have to shop around and find a dealer who is mod-friendly. Some dealers won't look at your car if it is modded. Others will help you out no matter what.

From what I have learned from the VW/Audi crowd, warranties get voided at the sight of mods also, so it is pretty much the same deal there...

If you are concerned about maintaining warranty, just keep all mods relegated to visual mods such as wheels, lights, and other body parts until your warranty goes...

These cars are pretty reliable, and won't leave you stranded, even in the snow!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Personaly, I think if you can get past the image of owning a Subaru you'll love the car.

Lets be honest, theres a little bit of a "hey look at me" factor in owning an Audi TT. And rightfully so, it's an awesome looking car. You wont have much awe factor with the WRX unless you soup it up (and it doesnt sound like youre the type of guy who's into body kits, wheels, etc.)

Performance wise it will be easy to make the WRX outrun the Audi even in automatic trim. A simple bolt on kit from Cobb or TurboXs will do the trick for you. If you want more, you can always upgrade the turbo.

Handling wise you will need a decent spring/swaybar package and some good tires. I suggest keeping the stock rims and tires as winter tires and buying a set of performance tires. I had Prodrive springs along with front and rear sway bars on my old car. I went with a set of Falken Azenis tires and the car handled like a dream.

I say go with the WRX. It's more practical, costs a hell of a lot less and is faster mod for mod.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

I can't think of ONE reason to go with the Audi TT with your selection of cars out there these days. its out powered, out handled, out styled by lots of cars out there for a lot less. The only thing that narrows down that list is the fact that you want a awd one.

I think I'd take a volvo (awd convert) before the audi
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Originally posted by silverscooby
    Personaly, I think if you can get past the image of owning a Subaru you'll love the car.

Lets be honest, theres a little bit of a "hey look at me" factor in owning an Audi TT. And rightfully so, it's an awesome looking car. You wont have much awe factor with the WRX unless you soup it up (and it doesnt sound like youre the type of guy who's into body kits, wheels, etc.)

Performance wise it will be easy to make the WRX outrun the Audi even in automatic trim. A simple bolt on kit from Cobb or TurboXs will do the trick for you. If you want more, you can always upgrade the turbo.

Handling wise you will need a decent spring/swaybar package and some good tires. I suggest keeping the stock rims and tires as winter tires and buying a set of performance tires. I had Prodrive springs along with front and rear sway bars on my old car. I went with a set of Falken Azenis tires and the car handled like a dream.

I say go with the WRX. It's more practical, costs a hell of a lot less and is faster mod for mod.

You hit the nail right on the head. As for as modding a WRX goes, if I was to - I might look blue/black leather interior, seats (with seat warmers if it doesn't have them already), and blue leather on the door panels where the stock cloth would be. Kinda like the STi interior. As for as engine mods, maybe just bump the hp up a little bit without sacrificing the ride. Maybe a aftermarket GPS system too - but that would probably be it.
    Ok time to leave and head home.

btw... I only want an automatic.

- Mike

Re: Audi TT 3.2 vs WRX (PLEASE NO FLAMES)

Originally posted by GodWhomIsMike
    with $9000 down it'll be $559.43/mo for 48 months with a big balloon payment due at the end -
    - Mike

God damn. Screw audi. I knew someone who bought that car and didn't think it worth the money AT ALL.
    The WRX is good to modify yes, however, since you were considering that kind of money, just buy an STi. There are some other nice cars out there too.

Ah you want an auto. Forget the STi then. Why don't you buy a used S4? The biturbo? The interior is top notch, it's quick and handles well. Nice car. Wasn't worth the purchase price new, but used is another story.
    Last edited by cyrilgrey; 06-03-2004 at 03:55 PM.

Stock WRXs suck. Blunt but true. There is always going to be something that you will want to upgrade.

Perhaps an Audi 1.8T w sport package, etc

Audi is very meticulous on build quality and interior. Subaru, well isn't.

-Mike

Have you thought of the new Saab 9-2?
    Honda's are like tampons every P---y has one.

how much are you looking to spend...

the wrx is a great car and performance for the dollar, the TT and it are not even remotely close to the same league.. the wrx ownz it!

my only thing is that if you were considering a TT, you might be a bit dissapointed with the rex's interior. its not nearly on par with that of the TT... but handling, power, modability, car for the money, reliability, AWD system are all much better in the rex.

you might want to consider the saab 9-2.... same thing as wrx wagon, but just more refined. but def. wont get as many looks as the TT would have. you may also want to consider a used 330xi if the interior and quality is important to you.

but personally, although its not the most refined... for what you get for the price, the wrx is the best
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

i don't think the rex is for you.....you sound like refinement is more important then performance

for that kinda cash, i'd get a g35x
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

sht
    Originally posted by GodWhomIsMike
    You hit the nail right on the head. As for as modding a WRX goes, if I was to - I might look blue/black leather interior, seats (with seat warmers if it doesn't have them already), and blue leather on the door panels where the stock cloth would be. Kinda like the STi interior. As for as engine mods, maybe just bump the hp up a little bit without sacrificing the ride. Maybe a aftermarket GPS system too - but that would probably be it.
    Ok time to leave and head home.

btw... I only want an automatic.

- Mike
    do your self a favor dont get wrx you wont like it
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

Originally posted by sht
    do your self a favor dont get wrx you wont like it
    why is that?? These are mods that many wrx owners (including myself) have done to their cars...

When I bought my car, I had the interior of the car upgraded to leather. Seat heaters come stock up here. Basically, the only thing that is stock about my interior is the 6 disc changer. I had the wheels changed also before I picked it up too, so I don't even have stock rims lying around anywhere....

If he likes the car, I'd say go for it.. Sure, the thing I hate about the car is that if you have 20K to spend on mods, you CAN spend that much, and since it is so easy to get power out of, you always want the next biggest snail that comes on market to bump your power up some more...

The WRX is more like a plain canvas when stock, that allows you to personalise it to your own liking. The basics are there, but it is up to you to accentuate what ever aspect of the car that you want... be it interior, power, looks or handling....
    Last edited by jigga; 06-04-2004 at 08:51 AM.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

I'm new to the whole subaru thing and I'm surprised no one suggested the 2005 Legacy GT Limited

My first and only experience with a subaru was about a month ago. I went to a wedding with my friend Laura and I drove her '94 Legacy (I think it was a 94) - it was turbocharged and the trip was an hour and half each way with lots of highway and curvy Pa. backroads. I couldn't believe how awesome the car handled, how it felt quick, and how fast it tore through those curvy backroads. I was very impressed. For a 10+ year old car - I was amazed. I loved the handling, the confidence, and how pleasant the ride was. I am guessing that a '05 Legacy will be even quicker, handle much better, and be more comfortable. Only reservation I have is it looks like a much larger car. Now about seeing about an aftermarket dark blue leather interior. hmmmm. Oh btw - doesn't the '05 Legacy have the same engine as the STi? I believe the STi is set for around 16 lbs of boost, where the
    '05 Legacy is set for 13.5 lbs of boost - hmmmmmm

- Mike
    Last edited by GodWhomIsMike; 06-04-2004 at 09:50 AM.

AS for the audi TT's stay away from the 00 and 01' s the 02's have all the bugs worked out .. or so the boards say..

The TT 225hp with chip alone have been putting down 260 to the wheels.. and who ever mentioned that they are front wheel drive and only all wheel when they loose tracktion is fooling themselves.. the are "quatro" AWD all the time just like the S4 and the S3 in Europe...

The bad thing about them.. is that they have a limited market for aftermarket parts.. they are growing buy nothing like the WRX..

Their DP's run 1000 and last time I looked it came from a company in the UK..

Parts are scarce and cost a sh|t load more..
    That again is due to the owners of the cars.. Not too many Audi TT 225 owners are looking to mod their cars..
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast