BMW :-) First race ever in the Rex
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on BMW :-) First race ever in the Rex within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I had my first race tonight with a 2 door mid 90's BMW 3 series of some kind. It ...

BMW :-) First race ever in the Rex

So I had my first race tonight with a 2 door mid 90's BMW 3 series of some kind. It was completely debadged, lowered, and had an exhaust and M-rims on it. This car was very quick but I smoked him. I caught up to him and he was doing about 30 mph in a 55 on a 2 lane road. I didn't notice his car at all but when I went to pass him, he sped up and I was like wtf??? So I caught right back up to him at about 55mph and threw it in third. I could hear his car really trying to keep up and heard him shifting hard, but he just couldn't keep up and I beat him by about three cars at around 80 in 3rd gear. He gave up and didn't come near me for the next few miles until we parted ways. I was proud - I don't plan on racing on the street much at all if ever really but I wanted to see how my car stacked up bone stock to his modified. So anyway the only question I have is that is it possible that this could have been an M3?? I know that the new ones would smoke us like we are in reverse but arent the older ones quite a bit slower? I remember one of my friends saying that unless the older M3's are completely worked, they are very disappointing. The car was a charcoal grey color and thats really all I know because there were no markings on it....so whats the deal? Could I have beaten an M3? or was this just a worked 325??? Kep kept up pretty good but my third gear out-did his by a long shot. Just wondering...thanks - Dan
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: BMW :-) First race ever in the Rex

Originally posted by Danbob
    So I had my first race tonight with a 2 door mid 90's BMW 3 series of some kind. It was completely debadged, lowered, and had an exhaust and M-rims on it. This car was very quick but I smoked him. I caught up to him and he was doing about 30 mph in a 55 on a 2 lane road. I didn't notice his car at all but when I went to pass him, he sped up and I was like wtf??? So I caught right back up to him at about 55mph and threw it in third. I could hear his car really trying to keep up and heard him shifting hard, but he just couldn't keep up and I beat him by about three cars at around 80 in 3rd gear. He gave up and didn't come near me for the next few miles until we parted ways. I was proud - I don't plan on racing on the street much at all if ever really but I wanted to see how my car stacked up bone stock to his modified. So anyway the only question I have is that is it possible that this could have been an M3?? I know that the new ones would smoke us like we are in reverse but arent the older ones quite a bit slower? I remember one of my friends saying that unless the older M3's are completely worked, they are very disappointing. The car was a charcoal grey color and thats really all I know because there were no markings on it....so whats the deal? Could I have beaten an M3? or was this just a worked 325??? Kep kept up pretty good but my third gear out-did his by a long shot. Just wondering...thanks - Dan
    good race, but more than likely not an M3. even the E36 is going to put up a good fight, especially against a stock rex from a roll... not to mention you said the car was modded. plus you said you pulled 3 cars, so its not to likely it was an E36

i would bet it was a 323 or 325 coupe with some M wannabe stuff on it.... nonetheless, nice race
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Probably an e36 328 (m52 2.8 liter 193hp) or 325 (m52 2.5 liter 170 hp) . I don't believe there is an e36 323. I think the 323 (m52 170hp 2.5 liter) only came in e46 models 99-00.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Originally posted by ilivas
    Probably an e36 328 (m52 2.8 liter 193hp) or 325 (m52 2.5 liter 170 hp) . I don't believe there is an e36 323. I think the 323 (m52 170hp 2.5 liter) only came in e46 models 99-00.
    there was a 323is in for MY99 before they introduce the E46 coupe in late 1999 as 2000 model. it was available in coupe or convertible form of the e36.

it's most likely a 325is or 328is coupe. You wouldn't see a lot of debadged M3s. It also could be a modded 318is, but that's little farfetched unless it's really modded to hell because you said you only won by 3 cars.
    Last edited by FrankW; 06-03-2004 at 05:23 AM.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

It was probably a 323 or 318. I highly doubt you could pull 3 cars on a 328 especially from a roll. From a dig, you would beat a 328, and they would still have trouble keeping up in the end. I have a 00 328i, and a 03 330i at my house, and just last week i raced my friend who has a stock 04 WRX in the 328, and we were about dead even...granted he has been driving stick for all of 3 weeks...still just for comparison purposes...

Marc
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

Originally posted by Mabf355
    It was probably a 323 or 318. I highly doubt you could pull 3 cars on a 328 especially from a roll. From a dig, you would beat a 328, and they would still have trouble keeping up in the end. I have a 00 328i, and a 03 330i at my house, and just last week i raced my friend who has a stock 04 WRX in the 328, and we were about dead even...granted he has been driving stick for all of 3 weeks...still just for comparison purposes...

Marc

I agree. I also own a 5 speed 328i (1999). From a stop the 328i would get smoked. From a roll it would be pretty close, but a stock 5 speed WRX will walk the 328i.
    2004 WRX

i doubt it was the 318ti hatch... its kinda obvious that its not an M3, and for it to even keep up it would need boost or the E36 engine conversion.

like many others said... since it looked mildly modded i think a 5speed 328i would NOT lose by 3 cars..

by process of elimination it was most likely a 325 coupe that was debadeged and dropped with exhause.. (faily common actually)
    Just call me Clark Kent

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    i doubt it was the 318ti hatch... its kinda obvious that its not an M3, and for it to even keep up it would need boost or the E36 engine conversion.

like many others said... since it looked mildly modded i think a 5speed 328i would NOT lose by 3 cars..

by process of elimination it was most likely a 325 coupe that was debadeged and dropped with exhause.. (faily common actually)
    a 318 is an e36. e36 is the body style of the mid 90's 3 series. The motor of the e36 m3 is the S52
    (240hp)
    Mods

Found out what it was - my friend knows the guy and the guy called him after he lost to me - the guy actually knew it wa me he was racing - the car was a 96 E36 325 I believe - he said 325 or 328 i forget which one - I knew it wasn't a 318 because those cars are ugly and they are dawgs - I housed one of those with my saturn...anyway this car has a chip, cai, catback, and headers I found out.....the kid who owns it evidently really doesnt know how to drive because I should not have beaten him by 3 lengths from a roll - should have been more like 1 length - he did however admit to my friend that once he saw that it was a WRX he was racing, he got nervous and figured he would lose because he doesn't drive stick very well. So thats the story - he does have M series rims on the car along with the M sideskirts and front bumper - thats why it lookedso much like an M3
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

Originally posted by ilivas
    a 318 is an e36. e36 is the body style of the mid 90's 3 series. The motor of the e36 m3 is the S52
    (240hp)
    bah, sorry.... you know what i meant... 318ti with E36 M3 engine swap.... i heard that swap is fairly common to modded ti's

i wonder what i kind of times that would produce
    Just call me Clark Kent

bah, sorry.... you know what i meant... 318ti with E36 M3 engine swap.... i heard that swap is fairly common to modded ti's

318 is not necessary a ti. they sold the 318i/is (sedan/coupe) for a while.

anyways, Danbob, good that you found out...no more mysteries...LOL
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Originally posted by Danbob
    Found out what it was - my friend knows the guy and the guy called him after he lost to me - the guy actually knew it wa me he was racing - the car was a 96 E36 325 I believe - he said 325 or 328 i forget which one - I knew it wasn't a 318 because those cars are ugly and they are dawgs - I housed one of those with my saturn...anyway this car has a chip, cai, catback, and headers I found out.....the kid who owns it evidently really doesnt know how to drive because I should not have beaten him by 3 lengths from a roll - should have been more like 1 length - he did however admit to my friend that once he saw that it was a WRX he was racing, he got nervous and figured he would lose because he doesn't drive stick very well. So thats the story - he does have M series rims on the car along with the M sideskirts and front bumper - thats why it lookedso much like an M3
    Now you can see why my BMW is bone stock with a K&N. Spending $1000 for 5 horse just cannot be justified.
    2004 WRX

The M3 cant lose!

Originally posted by 2004SilverWRX
    Now you can see why my BMW is bone stock with a K&N. Spending $1000 for 5 horse just cannot be justified.
    It's not as expensive as you think if you buy the correct parts.

You can get alot of power from intake manifold, intake, cams, reflashed ecu, exhaust, etc.
    Mods

The 318 hatchback is much lighter than the m3 coupe. You can probably pull off a mid-high 13 with just a motor swap. It's too bad those motors cost like 5 grand.

BTW my friend just put a T4 turbo on his m3. It's a beast.
    Mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.