Cobb STGII vs. M shoe droptop

This is a discussion on Cobb STGII vs. M shoe droptop within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; anyone know how fast these things are supposed to be? This young guy driving a "315hp" roadster gave me a ...

Cobb STGII vs. M shoe droptop

anyone know how fast these things are supposed to be?
    This young guy driving a "315hp" roadster gave me a run from a dig. As i was waiting for the turn lane to finish up, he asks me "are those things slow?" Realizing that i may be staring at the 4 exhaust pipes in a second, i replied humbly... "not really"

The pepboys were smokin out of tha gate (5k launch), get 2 cars on him, 2nd gear pulled another car, and in third he hung there till i shut it down at about 85. Im sure hed be able to take a stock turbo rex from a roll if 4th gear is called on, but from my race it was hard to say, as he did not gain any ground after the launch.

the driver was cool, we both were astonished that a rex with 2 people and full tank of gas managed to stay in front of him well past civil speeds.

im curious how quick these are, as this is the first whoopin ive dished out to a competent car. I think a stock rex might have been eatin up by the ragtop shoe.

all i have is bosal dp, gutted oem up-pipe and cobb stage II flash.
    guess my insecurities about having to line up to an e36 m3 at a light have vanished.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Depends on the year of the M Roadster, if it was a 2000 or newer, it has the S54 motor (315hp), if its '99 or older, it has the S52 (240hp).

I would think that if you raced the 315hp version that he would have pulled on you in second and third, from reading that, it sounds like you raced the '99 or older version.

Anyways, nice kill!

2001-2002---- S54 315hp
    2000 and under---- S52 240hp

The s54 is a low 13 sec car while a s52 is a high 13 to mid 13 sec car.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

power means nothing if the driver cant drive. nice kill. i'll have pretty much the same setup when my Cobb comes on monday

Nice kill. My uncle has an M roadster but I think it's the older version. I was the first one he let drive it back when he got it... that thing was a blast.

I pulled on my friends 2001 m roadster w/ 250whp. I had the vf 22 but stock intercooler and I pulled him till we shut down at 100mph. Good kill.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

J-H
    13secwrx,

did I sleep on this or did you just get new numbers in I am guessing you ar enot a 13 sex wrx anymore

AWESOME

MidnightFLAT4: how are those tires? Seriously? I need new ones....I can see the white thread on mine Thanks man!

JH

J-H
    ps: I read the previous posts....nice numbers 13 sec..

JH

at a light previous to the actual race i asked him if it had 340 horse cuz i thought it might have the e46 motor. he said no, it only had 315 hp. The funny part was askin my passenger if i should give him a launch. I fully expected to get my arse kicked bad. I even told scott,10 bucks says i get beat.

he left the line pretty well, a decent squeal. as for me, i had an absolutely perfect launch, and i was doin 45 or 50 by the time i heard him screech into 2nd. I'M SURE that if i had continued into 4th he would have gained what i took from him.

im gonna head down to GRD this weekend to see what my setup is puttin to the ground. i still have my 3rd cat in, and i expect 200-210whp, if i get anywhere near 225whp, im gonna call cobb and thank them.

OH, almost forgot about the tires. NO ONE will respect them because the pepboys name. What people dont know is that they outbrake Eagle F1's, and cost half. Sidwalls are much more rigid, so handling feel is VASTLY improved. when the car was stock, they barely spun off the line. I was worried for my tranny. But at stage II, wheelspin is almost identical to a stock rex on stock RE92's. a big con is that they are scary under heavy braking in the rain. They do grip better than re92's the snow. and they are 168mph rated, not many tires do all this, let alone for 70 bucks a corner
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

The motor in the e46 has 333hp, while the same motor in an m-roadster only has 315hp due to the exhaust restricions. There is no 340 hp m-roadster.
    Mods

You are correct however the weight on the roadster is less so it makes up for it.

ps: thanks
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

not much less, it weighs close to 3000 lbs. It is lacking in torque though. The car has awesome launching capabilities, I pulled 1.8 sec 60' times with my old m-roadster.
    Mods

with only 250ish lbs of torque, i hardly think a roadster could fish 1.8 60ft times regularly. huge tires and low torque are why the prowler had issues with effective launching.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan

I had 245/40-17 bggoodrich gforce kd tires. I'm not sure why but all bmw's get off the line REALLY quick for rwd. It also has an extremely strong 1st gear. It's geared pretty low, I would have to shift 3 time to get to 60 mph.
    Mods