STI vs. Pontiac GTP
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on STI vs. Pontiac GTP within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whilst waiting at a red light, on my left a blue pontiac GTP, with some blue headlights, aftermarket rims and ...

STI vs. Pontiac GTP

Whilst waiting at a red light, on my left a blue pontiac GTP, with some blue headlights, aftermarket rims and a lowered stance takes a left in front of me. He hit a red light, as mine turned green, so I pulled up next to him.

Since I wasn't going to look like a tard and just scream off the line, regardless if he wanted to race, I waited for the other guy to make the first move. He began as slowly as I did, but, at about 20mph, I could tell he punched it. So, I punched it as well, and powered down at about 80-90, after clearly beating him badly.

Of course, this wouldn't be that fun of a story if I just beat him like that...

So, part two:

The GTP lingered back for a while, and, I returned to a legal speed limit. But, as his lights drew near, I could tell he was attempting the infamous "r1cer flyby", so, I shifted down into 3rd, punched it, and just as his front bumper in his attempted flyby reached mine, I pulled on him again, thwarting his flyby rather brutally. After I shutdown, he kept his distance.

I'm sure the roles will be reversed someday, but, for the time being, I sure do love my STI.
    2004 Java Black Pearl STI
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice kill. I knew a guy who use to have a gtp. It was decenty quick for what it was.

makes me wanna have a STi real baddd......

I had a modded GTP before the STi and it is not close{STi > modded GTP}. A one wheel drive wonder vs. AWD. On the GTP, I had a 3.4" pulley, CAI, exhaust, ECU enhancement, ect.. The stock sti will still kill it. The GTP's weak point was from 40 and up. It's torque is it's best feature, but the STi will KILL it off the line.

I did love the GTP though. HUD, comfy seats, and dealerships that did not give you grief for modifications.

Last edited by Hummer; 06-02-2004 at 07:21 PM.
    2004 STi

Re: STI vs. Pontiac GTP

Originally posted by drfrink24
    Whilst waiting at a red light, on my left a blue pontiac GTP, with some blue headlights, aftermarket rims and a lowered stance takes a left in front of me. He hit a red light, as mine turned green, so I pulled up next to him.

Since I wasn't going to look like a tard and just scream off the line, regardless if he wanted to race, I waited for the other guy to make the first move. He began as slowly as I did, but, at about 20mph, I could tell he punched it. So, I punched it as well, and powered down at about 80-90, after clearly beating him badly.

Of course, this wouldn't be that fun of a story if I just beat him like that...

So, part two:

The GTP lingered back for a while, and, I returned to a legal speed limit. But, as his lights drew near, I could tell he was attempting the infamous "r1cer flyby", so, I shifted down into 3rd, punched it, and just as his front bumper in his attempted flyby reached mine, I pulled on him again, thwarting his flyby rather brutally. After I shutdown, he kept his distance.

I'm sure the roles will be reversed someday, but, for the time being, I sure do love my STI.
    denied him the ricer flyby..... doesnt get any better than that

Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

uke
    Hey Hummer, nice shine on that car! What wax do you use?
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Originally posted by uke
    Hey Hummer, nice shine on that car! What wax do you use?
    Thanks. I use Zaino. It is from zainobros.com.
    http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
    I think it is the best product out there.

Here is their faq info.
    "Q: I've heard nothing but good things about Zaino products. I'd like a show car finish, what products do I need?

A: For the ultimate in show car appearance, it is vital to get the cleanest and smoothest finish possible. We recommend washing the car with original blue Liquid Dawn only for this initial cleaning. Once you have your vehicle completely washed, follow up with the Z-18 Claybar, to remove any surface contamination. Follow up the Z-18 Claybar with a thorough wash using our Z-7 Show Car Wash.

For any Zaino polish application, it's critical to include either ZFX OR Z-1 Polish Lok. For that show car finish, we prefer to use ZFX with Z-2 Show Car Polish. ZFX replaces Z-1 and is superior to Z-1. Z-2 Show Car Polish should be applied with our 314 Polish Aplicator pad. The key to our ultimate shine, is multiple thin layers of Z-2, with Z-6 between application. The results with just two coats of Z-2 are amazing.

If your finish contains fine scratches or swirl marks, Z-5 Show Car Polish will safely fill and level minor imperfections. As you layer Z-5, these imperfections will disappear!

So for the ultimate, your shopping list includes ZFX (or Z-1), Z-2, Z-6, Z-7, Z-18 and a couple of #314's applicator pads. For minor imperfections, pick up some Z-5. If you're working on a paint finish that doesn't have a clear coat, simply replace Z-2 with Z-3."
    2004 STi

uke
    I see, using the almighty Zaino!

Hey, I noticed your car had clear corners. Do you still have them, or are they long gone?
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Those came on the car. It was a 2000 coupe and I sold it May 2003.
    2004 STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Hummer
    I had a modded GTP before the STi and it is not close{STi > modded GTP}. A one wheel drive wonder vs. AWD. On the GTP, I had a 3.4" pulley, CAI, exhaust, ECU enhancement, ect.. The stock sti will still kill it. The GTP's weak point was from 40 and up. It's torque is it's best feature, but the STi will KILL it off the line.

I did love the GTP though. HUD, comfy seats, and dealerships that did not give you grief for modifications.

I loved the HUD in my GTP also. Would kill to have one in the STi for Revs and to see what gear I'm in. I know, it sounds lame, but they are very close, and when road racing, it can be very easy to forget what gear you are in. Gotta lov the rallye cars with the huge LEDs showing what gear they are in. I've seen the aftermarket HUDs, and I just can't bring myself to cut a hole in my dash.

Good kill BTW!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

denied the fly by, thats what i would have done.

I raced a GTP today, im not sure of the year, but it was a newer body style, silver in color w/ red accents, AM rimz, altezza style lights and a hood that looked pretty mean, I thought the car had some ballz, but apparently not as it wasnt even a challenge.. And I just have a WRX w/ a N1 catback..

I dunno if he was really trying or not, but i got a mean look when he drove by me and took a left at the light.
    -sLp

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.