WRX WR1 vs EVO FQ320
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX WR1 vs EVO FQ320 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Oh my gawd! I'm back in the UK (till tomorrow), and my buddy here watched Top Gear last night with ...

I Support ClubWRX

WRX WR1 vs EVO FQ320

Oh my gawd! I'm back in the UK (till tomorrow), and my buddy here watched Top Gear last night with the FQ320 EVO vs the new WR1 WRX and the WR1 got OWNED!! (both have 320hp)

For those in the Top Gear know, the Stig drove them both round the Top Gear test-track and they said the WR1 had the worst understeer EVER! It burned rubber on EVERY corner!!

Lap time: Evo FQ320 = 1.26

Lap time: WRX WR1 = 1.29!!

WR1 got owned! I'm surprised....
    Last edited by WilliamG; 06-02-2004 at 03:53 PM.
    2010 SSM STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just what I expected... It is almost as if Subaru does not know how to make their cars understeer like crazy... The whole world knows that the Evo's handle like they are on rails...Can Subaru not wake up and smell the coffee here???

But then again, I doubt they care... as long as their world rally team STi does not understeer like a pig, all is good in the world!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jigga
    just what I expected... It is almost as if Subaru does not know how to make their cars understeer like crazy... The whole world knows that the Evo's handle like they are on rails...Can Subaru not wake up and smell the coffee here???

But then again, I doubt they care... as long as their world rally team STi does not understeer like a pig, all is good in the world!
    It really is frustrating. The WRXs have ALWAYS understeered, and I just can't understand why Subaru can't get it right. Surely all they have to do is buy an Evo and compare their own cars to it??? It's quite clear which is the better car. Top Gear said that (rough quote) 'the WR1 is for the boys, but the real men drive the FQ320'.

*sigh*
    2010 SSM STI

what are some on of the difference between the evo, evo mr and the fq? beside the hp

oh yeah, i wish we get top gear here in the u.s., i luv that show
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

regardless, a 1:29 lap time is still very fast around that track. the 1:22 is scorching though. i think the euro STis understeer worse than the USDM or JDM though. i think for some reason they make the suspension softer across the pond. a set of pink suspension bits would work wonders, i bet.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

I've often wondered what it would take to get the USDM WRX STi to handle as good as the Evolution. After throwing a rear sway bar on my WRX, it seems like a performance one could certainly help. Maybe a slightly more aggressive alignment?
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX, Java Black Pearl.
    Modifications

The WRX's basic suspension geometry is partly to blame here... From memory, the evo has double wishbones up front?? We use McPherson struts... Cheaper in manufacture, but not condusive to wicked handling. Also, those mechanical diffs that Subaru insists on using.. They ought to use an active diff similar to what the evo uses in front, whereby it would transfer power to whatever wheels are necessary in order to keep the car going where it is pointed...

One really has to wonder why the STi and the Evo cost around the same really... The evo packs A LOT more technology under its body than the Subaru cares to put into their product. Subaru's engine is not as durable as the mitsu engine (iron block versus aluminium block), the evo's suspension system is superior to that of the WRX cars, the evo's drivetrain is superior to that of the wrx cars also... It just seems to me like the only place where Subaru is superior to the Mitsu cars is on the rally stages..... AND that's most likely because Prodrive decided to do something about the car's understeering nature..... Subaru doesn't care...

But then again, this might just be one of the disadvantages of platform sharing, where Subaru has to cater to the common denominator... Performance was not it unfortunately...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by DenverWRX
    I've often wondered what it would take to get the USDM WRX STi to handle as good as the Evolution. After throwing a rear sway bar on my WRX, it seems like a performance one could certainly help. Maybe a slightly more aggressive alignment?
    If you want the WRX to be almost as tailhappy as the Evo, you will need a REALLY stiff swaybar out back.... That should get eh tail swinging!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by WilliamG
    It really is frustrating. The WRXs have ALWAYS understeered, and I just can't understand why Subaru can't get it right. Surely all they have to do is buy an Evo and compare their own cars to it??? It's quite clear which is the better car. Top Gear said that (rough quote) 'the WR1 is for the boys, but the real men drive the FQ320'.

*sigh*
    You would think that they would have a look at the opposition to see what makes it so devastating on the track!

I don't suppose you have that Top Gear clip on-line do you? I'd really like to see it
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

1:22??? omg that is insane, even 1:29 is fast!
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

i watched a janpanese motorsport video(hot vision?) a while ago, that issue was about the new sti. The directer of subaru explain that the sti is design to go understeer, "so that is more safer to drive." this "" part im not sure.
    They also said the 03 wrc car was design just speacilize for a few stage. Which i guess their plan was right. Consider they won the driver champ. Anyway this is not BS.

Originally posted by CannonBaller
    http://www.lancer-evo.net/mlr/EVOvScoobyLow.mpeg
    link doesn't work.....

Can anyone help out??
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Damn that link worked earlier. I have both the clip and the entire episode. If someone can host it I will upload it. You can download the episode (5/30) from www.suprnova.org using bit torrent.

Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast