Sleeper 300zx vs STi
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Sleeper 300zx vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cruising home I ran into this very stock looking 300zx. It didn' t have any turbo badging. It looked like ...

Sleeper 300zx vs STi

Cruising home I ran into this very stock looking 300zx. It didn' t have any turbo badging. It looked like a base model 300zx.

This guy was about 50 years old driving the 300zx. We were playing cat and mouse with each other for a few minutes and
    then all the suddent at about 70mph he nailed it.
    He got about 1 car jump on me. I just kept it in 5th gear and floored it. I very slowly reeled him in and by about 100mph I was right next to him. Then by about 130mph! I was about 1- 2 cars in front of him and let off and so did he. His car was fast. I'm running a full TBE with utec and 16psi boost and I barely beat him.

Then I slowed down and pulled along side of him. I looked over at him and he wouldn't even look at me. So I just downshifted and went on my way.

There's no way a 300zx without a turbo could have given me such a good race. I don't know what mods he had but he was definately a sleeper with a very stock looking 300zx.

A please no comments about the 130mph. This was very early in the morning on country road with no side streets or any other cars.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 05-30-2004 at 05:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It wouldn't surprize me if it was a non-turbo 300ZX stock is good to 140 mph, modded up to150mph. I know I use to have one.

0-70 not too impressive, but 70+ oh yeah! Those cars are made for highspeed driving.

joe

Originally posted by Big Joe
    It wouldn't surprize me if it was a non-turbo 300ZX stock is good to 140 mph, modded up to150mph. I know I use to have one.

0-70 not too impressive, but 70+ oh yeah! Those cars are made for highspeed driving.

joe

I know they have a decent top speed but they are pretty slow getting there, aren't they? With my mods my STi could easily top 160mph, thats for sure. I'm also most likely trapping around
    106-108 mph with my setup. There's no way a stock
    300zx can keep up with that.

I really doubt it was a NA 300ZX, unless it was spraying. My friend has a 300ZX with basic bolt-ons. I pulled on him pretty hard when I was only putting down 220 AWHP with the stock turbo.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Yes, there's no way it was a stock 300zx (non turbo). I talked to a guy (online) that has a stock 300zx and he said it runs
    15.4 @ 93 mph at the track.
    So there's no way it was a stock 300zx (non turbo)

My brother has a 300tt with a "sleeper" set up. Real cheap, so yea, it was probably a sleeper TT. I love that thing.
    Bleeding true blue.

"That gasp you just heard was National League hitters after hearing that Mark Prior has added a couple extra MPH to his fastball this winter."

-Will Carroll-

03 Blue rex - Sold
    04 Black Forester XT - Nice

You trap @ 105 which is fast, but a 300ZX with minor boltons and teh boost turned up is just as fast if not faster. Its a TT V6, they ran 13's out of the box
    Don't believe the life you have
    Will be the only one
    You have to let your body sleep
    To let your soul live on

2006 Evo IX MR

You kept it in 5th gear going 70mph? That may be your problem.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

his 222chp to your ~350chp?

no.

definate sleeper.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Originally posted by ilivas
    You kept it in 5th gear going 70mph? That may be your problem.

You obviously don't drive an STi. Ask any STi owner, it can be really hard to find 4th gear quickly from a roll. It is usually better to keep it in 5th gear at anyspeed close to 80mph or so and just nail it. Even making redline shifts you have to be in 5th gear by 90-95mph. - remember this is an STi not a WRX.
    5th gear pulls extremely hard in an STi from about 80 up. I'm also modded.

Also by 100mph I was already even with the guy and even though I was now right in my power band in 5th gear I wasn't hardly pulling on him at all. Even at speeds of 130mph he was right there with me.

So even at speeds of 100+mph right in my power band in 5th he was able to stay with me? Oh right he must be driving a stock
    300zx that traps 94mph.

So think about what your saying.

When I downshift, I try to keep it in the 5000+ rpm range.

Selecting the wrong gear can make quite a dramatic difference even if you're 3000rpm in 5th.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Stock out of the box from the factory they run 14.0 depending on driver.. but that is an honest number..

stage III set ups which are still stock turbos run 12.8's with slicks on at the track.. and 13.1 to 13.3's with street tires.

My buddy has a turbo back on his STI and my other friend has 300z Stage III putting down 330 WHP from a roll the Z pulls ahead..

they find that a hevily modded stock turbo 300z with put up a fight till about 130.. after that the big turbo 300z start to walk away..

But the bigger turbos take a while to spool up and that is their down fall.. while they are spooling up everone else is walking away.. and it's now a catch up game for them.. Few people run the nos with this set up which is key for big turbo set ups... Spray while your turbos are spooling..

As for the earlier coments.. these cars ar 3600 lbs.. with out turbos they are pigs..
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

What do stock 300ZX TT's trap at out of curiosity?
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

I'm guessing right around 100 MPH +/-

that is a guess
    0-60 in 5.678 on 4-21-03
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.098 @ 103.1 On the street
    BEST 1/4 Mile 14.123 @ 100.3 At the track

Originally posted by smokey
    What do stock 300ZX TT's trap at out of curiosity?

From what I've seen stock 300zx TT run around 14.0 @ 102 mph. Some can run in the 13s bone stock if they are driven well and in good running condtion.

300zx N/A run mid to high 15s @ 92- 94 mph or so.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.