STI beats 04 cobra - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI beats 04 cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How would a stock STi stack up to a stock 03+ Cobra when you factor in the 8 mph difference ...

How would a stock STi stack up to a stock 03+ Cobra when you factor in the 8 mph difference in trap speed? 8 mph seems like a decent amount in trap speed. Say they both go from a a 30 mph roll, the Cobra would win due to the STi not having the advantage of a launch or does the STi' gearing towards low end accel help it keep pace? Also, what about from a roll at 60 mph? I'm really torn between the two for my next car because I can't stand having my RS getting ripped a new a-hole by my friends' cars everytime we race, (04 WRX, 04 Cavaliar, 94 Celica GT, 93 Shadow, my parents' Honda Pilot, and the list goes on and on.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by ILikeMy2.5RS
    How would a stock STi stack up to a stock 03+ Cobra when you factor in the 8 mph difference in trap speed? 8 mph seems like a decent amount in trap speed. Say they both go from a a 30 mph roll, the Cobra would win due to the STi not having the advantage of a launch or does the STi' gearing towards low end accel help it keep pace? Also, what about from a roll at 60 mph? I'm really torn between the two for my next car because I can't stand having my RS getting ripped a new a-hole by my friends' cars everytime we race, (04 WRX, 04 Cavaliar, 94 Celica GT, 93 Shadow, my parents' Honda Pilot, and the list goes on and on.)
    Here is the differences. No speculation. Actual experience owning the 03 Cobra and driving the STi (100 miles).

OFF THE LINE:

STi - easier to launch cause of AWD and MUCH less TQ to the wheels. Easy to bring RPMs up high and launch hard and nail good 0-60 times.

03/04 Cobra - Very much easier to launch than ANY other Mustang model. Lots of TQ and gearing make this car somewhat hard to learn to pull 4.5 second 0-60's, but VERY doable. Once you learn the clutch, gearing, and how to harness the massive power you will be able to launch and hang with the STi.

------------------------
    0-60:

STi - I think its rated at 4.6 seconds or therebouts... You will shift to 2nd earlier than the Cobra.

Cobra - I think its rated 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. 2nd hits HARD!

-------------------------
    From a roll between 20 and 60 MPH:

STi - SHOCKINGLY capable of a roll race. You would think it has a V8. Going to give muscle cars a nice run.

Cobra - BABY SHE SHINES HERE! The Cobra will out pace the STi from a roll. I would say by a car or 2, then keep the pace of a walk from there on out. Too much TQ & power to be out muscled easily.

---------------------------
    From a roll between 60 and 100+ MPH:

STi - still has amazing pulling power even at highway speeds. Very capable of hanging with some of the big boys but will get walked in most situations (C5, Cobra, Viper (ugly))... beleive me this car still pulls HARD at highway speeds.

Cobra - not as wicked as off the line. Still pulls VERY well all the way up to 140+. Of SC is cool, 3rd can feel as nice as 2nd. Will out-pace the STi and probably many cars ahead the longer you stay in it.

-------------------------------
    TRAP SPEEDS & 1/4's:

STi - never seen one at the track. I have heard of many times like 13.1 - 13.5's @ 103 - 105. Maybe a few 12.9's out there @ 106. At least posted times.

Cobra - I tried MANY times to get this car in the 12's stock. I could NOT do it. Many have, I could not. I was new to the car, temps were about 95F and muggy. Tracks sucked. But I still pulled a 13.0 @ 109. Others have pulled 12.7's @ 112 (not many). The average is 13.0 @ 109/110.

dont see 8 MPH differences. maybe more like 5 or so. This 5 MPH difference between the two is a nice walk and will not be aparent until 70 MPH + and get worse the long the distance. STi = RIGHT ON HIS AZZ.

-------------------------------
    MODDED vs MODDED:

Here's where things get VERY interesting.

STi - I understand there are some people with DEEP pockets and dont car about the longevity of their STi. In that case you can make this car deep in the 11's for gobs of money. But I also understand you can make her see mid 12's very easily and somewhat cheaply.

Cobra - For $1000 in mods you will be WOWed. For $2000 you will be GIDDY with fear and see 11's easy!!! For $5000 you could charge admission for a ride in her! Pound for pound and mod for mod and dollar for dollar the Cobra wins HANDS DOWN. A $500 exhaust yields like 50+HP and 60+ TQ. This car is STIFLED and CHOKED. The builders left MUCH to be tapped.

You will not be able to make the STi feel like the stump pulling power of over 600 lb/ft of TQ. This V8 with its 32 valves, 4 cams, all forged internals, Supercharger, and Intercooler makes GOBS of power easily. Can not think of many cars that take to mods so well (past or present).
    ------------------------------

here is what to buy and wy"

You want: HUGE power, impress friends when they ride with you, beat 99% of the cars you come up against, mod cheaply, handle VERY impressively, be a king of the road.... you buy the Cobra.. when modded you will drive around like you got the biggest d*ck in town (hehehe)....

You want: Awsome power from a 4 banger, aswome handling, more fun to drive than the Cobra (stock at least), longevity of the Subaru, 1/2 the cost in insurance, 1/2 the cost in gas, better value and better resale value, you buy the STi. This car can still be made very capable to beat most out there.
    Last edited by 03Cobra; 06-05-2004 at 09:07 AM.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Awesome analysis 03Cobra thanks, I'll definently keep it in mind. Basically my predicament is that everytime I see a Cobra video or an STi video or even just see them on the street, I end up trying to convince myself I'd be happy with one respectively. I would see myself enjoying the insane torque and sweet whine of the Cobra and the ridiculous pulling power from roll, then I'd picture myself lusting for the whine of a turbo and a flat four, and a wicked sweet launch of AWD. I wish I had $65k so I could buy both...

Originally posted by Drod
    My brother and I have a 03 Cobra and when stock I raced a STI and he had me to 70 MPH wich is 3rd gear and then I passed him. I did not beat him by much, considering that both card have similar 1/8 times stock. I ran a 12.73 at 112 MPH in the Cobra stock. Good kill anyway BTW what mods do you have. With exhaust and some other modes you should be in the game. Becafull with the pullied Cobras.
    A STi can beat a stock Cobra - it's basically a battle of the better driver. As for a modded cobra - they can be modded for about $6000 - that's including the labor - to put out close to 700 rwhp. So watch those modded cobras. There has been a lot of write ups in mustang mags in recent months on exactly how to get a close to 700 rwhp with a 03/04 Cobra. I think it was either the april or may issue of one that had a 649 rwhp '03 Cobra and did it for under $6000 with labor and parts. That's an animal. Picture tearing along in one of those 650+ rwhp monsters . Those tires are probably ready to smoke in the ground by applying throttle at any speed.

- Mike

Thumbs up

A STi can beat a stock Cobra - it's basically a battle of the better driver.
    you are correct. It comes down to the skill of the driver. Both cars are hard to launch of the line, but once moving they are fast. We should not forger about the EVO 8. The EVO 8 will also give Both car a run for their money or even beat them.

An 04 cobra with close to 700 rwhp is impressive, but it still doesnt really hold a candle to the many 1000+ rwhp supras running around, few of them still on the stock block. In fact i know the record is 1100 rwhp if im not mistaken, with the engine untouched, just single turbo. Dont get me wrong a 700 rwhp cobra is incredible, but it just goes to show you, there is always someone out there faster and stronger . Im sure there are many domestics out there too that have over 1100 rwhp, but i doubt its on a stock block like the toyotas.

-BobbyD
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

Boby, Boby, Boby thier are 1000 HP Cobras out in the real world. The Kenny Bell 2.4 S/C and cam's swap will give you 1000 HP on a stock block and these cars run in the high 8's low 9's. Their is a Mustang tuner in the area that built a 1998 Cobra with 1200 HP. The 1000 HP Supras with stock block are dyno queens. Take one of them to the track and run it a couple of times and the engine will blowup.

Boby, Boby, Boby thier are 1000 HP Cobras out in the real world. The Kenny Bell 2.4 S/C and cam's swap will give you 1000 HP on a stock block and these cars run in the high 8's low 9's. Their is a Mustang tuner in the area that built a 1998 Cobra with 1200 HP. The 1000 HP Supras with stock block are dyno queens. Take one of them to the track and run it a couple of times and the engine will blowup.
    I agree with that!

Plus you have a V8. More cylinders and more cubic inches will out-muscle the smaller engine with less cylinders too

The 03/04 Cobra block can probably handle more power easily. Its the other components that might need some upgrading. I think the entire short block is fairly bullet-proof. I know it will handle over 700 HP.

I can not think of anything that makes the Supra block that much better... Can you?
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Keep in mind how long the Supra block has been out, where as the 03 Cobra/Mach 1 block has only been out for a few years.

Since 1996, that's almost 10 years.

I was watching HP TV this weekend and they worked on an 03 Cobra. STock it laid down 361 to the wheels. With a 2.8" pulley and reflash it laid down 420 something I think. That's 60 whp for like $300-$400. Not gonna get than in the STI.

03/04 Cobra - Very much easier to launch than ANY other Mustang model. Lots of TQ and gearing make this car somewhat hard to learn to pull 4.5 second 0-60's, but VERY doable. Once you learn the clutch, gearing, and how to harness the massive power you will be able to launch and hang with the STi.
    Interesting that you say the Cobra is easier to launch than any other Mustang model. I was under the impression that the Mach 1 was the best launching Mustang out at this time? Please correct me with I'm wrong, but I thought the IRS of the Cobra made it harder to launch vs. the solid rear axle in the Mach 1. I think that's right...
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Lol..I wasn't going to say that, but I agree with you.

I'll bet a 700whp Cobra can run as good, if not better, 1/4 mile times as a 1000hp Supra.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Wow, i did not realize you could get 1000 hp on the new cobra's that easy, i thought max was like 700 at the wheels, without nitrous, guess im wrong. I wonder how long that engine (03 cobra) will last with 1000 at the wheels. Ive never heard of supras having such engine problems, i always thought dyno queens refered to the fact that they will post big numbers such as 800 at the wheels but still run 12's at like 140 because of traction problems.

-BobbyD
    5spd/U/D/MBC/QTEC

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    I say we turn this into a Domestic VS Import flame war!!! Just kidding. Sorry for the hijack.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast