Supra may return 2004 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Supra may return 2004 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Dynoing your car isn't that expensive. put a dyno on a car, not a car on the dyno... def...

Dynoing your car isn't that expensive.
    put a dyno on a car, not a car on the dyno...

def
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

After spending a day at Titan Motorsports in Orlando - they did my stage 4 setup for me - I was sold on Toyota Supra Turbos.
    Those car have huge potential. With some deep pockets you could have a 800hp , 10 sec ,daily driver.

One of the problems I see with a new Supra is - will it be turbocharged - and how much will it cost?
    The Supras were very expensive. The in the late 90s 95-97 the Supra Turbo cost 40k - 45k. Thats expensive.
    The non - turbo version - that was slow and ran 15s in the 1/4 mile cost 35k - 37k- I would cry if I spent 37k for a sports car that ran 15s in the 1/4 mile.

The new Supra is suppose to be a dirrect competitor to the New Z, just like the original Supra ( Early 80's).

So expect a version built off the IS for about 28-30K.

MT has an article about it.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by dug-e-fresh

put a dyno on a car, not a car on the dyno...

def
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Those pictures are not of the new supra concept. Do a search on My350z.com. It is supposed to be around 350 hp and less expensive than the previous generation. I really like the way it looks, but it is drawing mixed reviews. Mazda is bringing back the rx-7 too after the rx-8 is introduced. The next few years should be pretty interesting...if you've got the cash.

Well I certainly hpoe it looks like the yellow one and not this one.

Ha Ha! I told you it drew mixed reviews. But I like it. If you think about concepts, they are always a little more extreme than the final product. If they clean it up a little, I think it would look pretty nice. I do like the GT concept though. But wasn't that a mid-engine design? I hope the supra retains the same layout as previous generations.

Originally posted by znith
    Mazda is bringing back the rx-7 too after the rx-8 is introduced. The next few years should be pretty interesting...if you've got the cash.
    The New 7 (if they keep the name) looks like a cross between the Miata and the RX8. It looks pretty good. I haven't for sure if it will have a Rotary or the Turbo out of the new Mazspeed.

BTW, has anyone seen a Mazspeed (Sp?) yet?

Are you talking about the MazdaSpeed Protege' that will be coming out next year? If so, that only has 170 hp, I think. I have heard of a MazdaSpeed 6 concept, but don't know anything about it. MazdaSpeed and MPS are Mazdas performance division, like BMWs M or Fords SVT. I have heard from several different sources that the RX-7 will have a rotary engine. I am not sure of hp figures. But I would assume it would at least have as much as the RX-8 (250).

Are you talking about the MazdaSpeed Protege' that will be coming out next year? If so, that only has 170 hp, I think. I have heard of a MazdaSpeed 6 concept, but don't know anything about it. MazdaSpeed and MPS are Mazdas performance division, like BMWs M or Fords SVT. I have heard from several different sources that the RX-7 will have a rotary engine. I am not sure of hp figures. But I would assume it would at least have as much as the RX-8 (250).
    Maybe it will be a turbo version of the RX-8s new rotary engine. I understand that it is nolonger a wankel rotary, but some new higher performance rotary. if it makes 250NA can you imagine what it will do with a turbo?

Are you talking about the MazdaSpeed Protege' that will be coming out next year? If so, that only has 170 hp, I think
    Yes the MazdaSpeed Protege. I have read that while the Hp is only 170, the boost levels are set very conserviously. So if they put 200 HP in a car that's about the same size as a Miata, it should do very well.

Remember, most companies are trying to get back the successful versions of their sportscars. While the Gen III RX7 was quite a performer, it didn't sell nearly as many as the Gen I RX7. So I can see a back to basics RX7.

I know everybody is trying to get back to basics. And it's about time. But don't think they will make the next gen 7 a turbo miata. I think the new 350z is a good example of where they (Supra and RX-7) will be heading. The 350z is simpler, lighter, and cheaper than the z it replaces. But it still has 287 hp and gobs of torque for a v-6. It also outhandles the previous generation. I am sure the Supra will try to outgun the Z, so I can't imagine Mazda making the RX-7 do with just 200, or even 220 hp. And I always felt the RX-7= rotary. Just my opinion.

I can see the RX7 being 220 lbs as long as the weights around 2400 lbs. That was the beauty of the original, really light weight. Now that Rotary is a good possiblity as long as the RX8 isn't meant to be the flag ship.

Now that would be something to see. 2400lbs. That is the problem with cars these days. Weight. Nissan made claims that the new Z would be signifigantly lighter than the 300zx, and it still ended up over 3200lbs. The supra will be the same way, I'm sure. If mazda is smart, they would develope a platform that would work for the next gen miata and that would also be feasable for the next gen RX-7. I am not a big fan of the miata, but I understand its place in the sports car food chain and can appreciate it's contrubution. I simply need more power. But a car as light and nimble as a miata with a 250hp rotary for under $25,000 would be something to look into. Mazda would still have a lot of work cut out for them to make sure it had the feel of a real sports car and not give you the impression that you were in a turbo miata

Look at the Latest Road and Track, they have a Car based off the Miata Chassis. It's slightly larger and is a Coupe. But still RWD and still lightweight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast